How To Convert A Follower's Body/Skeleton To Your Type

I am looking to a definitive guide or assistance from the community. I am trying to update a bunch of followers I use to convert their body type and skeleton to what I am currently using. I could not find a clear guide on how to take a UNP based follower and convert it to a CBBE body. To edit a custom skeleton to the skeleton I am using in my game. A lot of forums are saying to use xEdit, edit the custom Race of the follower. Down the ANAM and convert it's pathway to the default such as: 

actors\Character\Character Assets Female\skeleton_female.nif

Then to go to the follower's mesh file in the Data folder and copying the meshes that you use and replace them in the follower mesh folder.

Is this the typical way to convert a follower or are there other steps that need to be taken into consideration? Are there any experienced follower creators that can impart some knowledge? Anything would help.

Thank you.