[Need help][LE]New Computer installation of old Saves and files

I am once again asking for tech support.

I just got a new PC and trying to play my last play-though. I saved my saves and full data files on an external drive. The game worked well last I played, but I’m having issues getting it working again on my superior spec’d new PC. I’m either having issues CTD on the main menu, on a new game, or unsurprisingly loading an old save. 

I tried to load vanilla skyrim and copy and paste the old stuff over. It causes the issue. I tried to load the mod plugins without the data just to test for dependencies and it works with Xedit and Vortex. I’ve also tried to just copying my old files bit by bit to see what files have issues. It seems to have something to do with the texture files. Its seems inconsistent, bit it has something to do with default actors.

anyone have ideas?

Edited by roldoi1911
  • roldoi1911 changed the title to [Need help][LE]New Computer installation of old Saves and files

Loading old saves from a modded game like Skyrim onto a PC with a higher operating system??

No - will probably not work without a lot of "trickery" - which is well above my level of understanding
(even if the directory structure of the game (with the mods) is absolutely the same on both (old and new))

and yes - we've had this multiple times in the 10 years of using "Bugdestha" games - never worked
(not for dying!)

so for us (my wife and me) if we change PC or operating system -> "May makes everything new"

So check which mods I would like to have from the previous installation - which new (interesting) mods are there - you have a more powerful PC - you could use better texture packages...
..etc. etc.

14 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

Loading old saves from a modded game like Skyrim onto a PC with a higher operating system??

No - will probably not work without a lot of "trickery" - which is well above my level of understanding
(even if the directory structure of the game (with the mods) is absolutely the same on both (old and new))

and yes - we've had this multiple times in the 10 years of using "Bugdestha" games - never worked
(not for dying!)

so for us (my wife and me) if we change PC or operating system -> "May makes everything new"

So check which mods I would like to have from the previous installation - which new (interesting) mods are there - you have a more powerful PC - you could use better texture packages...
..etc. etc.

Its been a few months, but i dont think i used texture mods outside of whats necessary for new models or PCs/NPC skin.

my pervious PC was 2016 ish.

Edited by roldoi1911
Vor 5 Minuten sagte roldoi1911:

Es ist ein paar Monate her, aber ich glaube nicht, dass ich Texturmods verwendet habe, die nicht für neue Modelle oder PCs/NPC-Skin erforderlich sind.

Mein vorheriger PC war 2016 ish.

one of the problems (but not the only one):

Directory structure of Skyrim in the old PC (and Window ? and in the new PC (with Window 11)

the saves contain the position of the installed mods - even the loading order (so that the base mod is always loaded BEFORE the language patch, for example)

but as I said - it's just one of several

3 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

one of the problems (but not the only one):

Directory structure of Skyrim in the old PC (and Window ? and in the new PC (with Window 11)

the saves contain the position of the installed mods - even the loading order (so that the base mod is always loaded BEFORE the language patch, for example)

but as I said - it's just one of several

I have my load order on a txt file that can be read with by NMM if needed, as well as Using Vortex to Restore Plugins based on my latest save.

No 'trickery' required.  You must simply copy over the files used by Skyrim and your mod manager (NMM it sounds like) to the same locations used on your new computer.  Depending on how heavily you have modded your game, this can take quite a lot of hard drive space so plan accordingly.

When using Nexus Mod Manager, your Skyrim installation saves files in 4 places:

1.  Game folder (\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim)

2.  Settings (ini files) and saves (\users\<username>\documents\my games\skyrim)

3.  Load order* (\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Skyrim)  *NOTE: the AppData is a hidden folder so you must enable hidden files and folders.  Load order is saved here regardless of mod manager used.

4.  Mod manager files (<mod manager installation folder>\Skyrim\install info) and (\<mod manager installation folder>\Skyrim\mods)

You must copy ALL FILES from these folders.

By copying the files from these 4 locations you can safely back up or transfer your entire modded installation with no issues.  When installing on a new computer with a different operating system, you should follow this sequence:

1.  Install Skyrim through Steam on your new computer - no mods.  Launch the game at least once to verify it works.  This creates all the configuration files needed to run the game on your new hardware. If you encounter issues you know it has to do with your new computer and not your old Skyrim install.

2.  Install your mod manager to establish where files need to be copied.

3.  Copy over all the files from the 4 locations above.

7 hours ago, Kastagir said:

No 'trickery' required.  You must simply copy over the files used by Skyrim and your mod manager (NMM it sounds like) to the same locations used on your new computer.  Depending on how heavily you have modded your game, this can take quite a lot of hard drive space so plan accordingly.

When using Nexus Mod Manager, your Skyrim installation saves files in 4 places:

1.  Game folder (\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim)

2.  Settings (ini files) and saves (\users\<username>\documents\my games\skyrim)

3.  Load order* (\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Skyrim)  *NOTE: the AppData is a hidden folder so you must enable hidden files and folders.  Load order is saved here regardless of mod manager used.

4.  Mod manager files (<mod manager installation folder>\Skyrim\install info) and (\<mod manager installation folder>\Skyrim\mods)

You must copy ALL FILES from these folders.

By copying the files from these 4 locations you can safely back up or transfer your entire modded installation with no issues.  When installing on a new computer with a different operating system, you should follow this sequence:

1.  Install Skyrim through Steam on your new computer - no mods.  Launch the game at least once to verify it works.  This creates all the configuration files needed to run the game on your new hardware. If you encounter issues you know it has to do with your new computer and not your old Skyrim install.

2.  Install your mod manager to establish where files need to be copied.

3.  Copy over all the files from the 4 locations above.

Yeah, after trying to copy and paste all the files three more times, it works…

no clue why, it just does this time around. I installed vanilla skyrim, installed skse, and installed my old data files, bit by bit. Thought the texture files would be an issue again, but for some reason it wasn’t this time.