Installing FNIS with MO2, warning expected generator path (solved)

Hello, 

I'm currently making a "clean" installation of skyrim se.

I installed FNIS using MO2, everything seems fine, but when I run FNIS and Update, it gives me this warning: 

>>Warning: Expected generator path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users not found<<

Should I worry about it ?

All my installations are in my D:/ drive, I don't have anything in C:\

Edited by Thanaka

Well whatever you did, FNIS expects SSE to be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition.

Did you relocate your steamapps directory through steam? Are you using symbolic links? Did you just move all skyrim files somewhere else?

As far as I know the intended way to move steam games is to create a new steamapps dir and to move the game over. This needs the be done using steam itself.

Edit: I wouldn't however count on 3rd party apps such as fnis to handle this correctly. Not saying they don't know what they're doing; I'm saying having multiple steamapps dirs is probably not the norm and thus easy to miss during development. I'd relocate all games out of Program Files and make sure there's only one steamapps dir registered in steam itself. Assuming that is possible.

Edited by traison

I found a solution, it seems to work :

In the registry, Ordinateur\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim Special Edition

Modifying the "installed path" to the actual directory (it showed the previous one).

It seems to work well, if one day I've an issue because I did this over reinstalling everything I'll update this thread.

Found this solution on 

• Vault Dweller changed the title to Installing FNIS with MO2, warning expected generator path (solved)

That's one of the unintended ways of doing it yes. Keep in mind that you now take responsibility for this; and by that I mean, don't be surprised if an update to Skyrim resets this REG_SZ back to what steam thinks it should be. Or if another tool doesn't work because it queries the steam vdf files for the path, instead of the registry.