Question on a mesh problem

Some people have success by running the nif through a nif optimizer. I can't really suggest any "steps" for that but I think what I'd do myself is a SSE->LE->SSE conversion, compare the before and after files with a checksum (obviously if the file size is different, this is not needed) to see if something changed, then test in game.

Edit: Keep in mind that there's more to a nif than just the nif. It has texture references too for one. Also cloaks of skyrim could be affected by something like SMP. While that wouldn't be my first guess, it's something that is really easy to test, should all other options fail.

Also, AG_PerkNecropotenceHealthConcActor had something to do with the crash as well, it's in the register, whatever it is. A concentration MGEF/SPEL maybe?

Edited by traison

Taison, I really appreciate you helping so often.  I'm learning a ton from you

How would I go about determining where AG_PerkNecropotenceHealthConcActor is coming from?

Is there a way to determine if the nif itself is bad or not vs. the PerkNecro thing?

AG_PerkNecropotenceHealthConcActor is most likely the EditorID, so, load your entire loadorder as-is in xEdit and have it search for it. There's search boxes in the top left corner.

As for determining if a nif is bad, if it crashes the game, that would qualify. I think generally, while the NetImmerse file format has been mapped out quite extensively, it's all still unofficial and thus you don't know if say NifSkope is a version behind Bethesda, or if NifSkope implements checks and fixes that do not exist in the game. Thus I'd say the only true way is to check ingame.

Doubt it would know the Editor Id if the record itself didn't exist, but then again, I don't know how form references are stored in esps. Would have to look at that with a hex editor to find out. My first guess would be relative form ids though. Relative as in, using the master list from the header, not your plugin load order. 0x1000000 being a reference in the first master etc.

Edit: Google says Necropotence is an armor set in ESO, ring a bell?

Edited by traison

Just to update, I seem to be running well with no crashes now.  I culled a number of mods that I could do without, including legacy of the dragonborn and some armors.  I also got rid of volkriinator black because I realized I was using the wrong version of Adamant with it and the perk tree was acting wonky.  So I got it down to no deleted record mods showing in Wrye Bash.  I never did find Necropotence but hopefully it won't rear its head again.  Maybe next playthrough I'll reinstall LOTD and see if that causes any issues... but I think I'm just going to enjoy actually getting to play for a while.