SLATE (sexlab animation tag edit) kinda works but also doesn't

Adding and removing tags from animations work, but the changes don't seem to really do anything. I noticed there's a notification window that says you need to make a manual save for the changes to stay, i tried multiply way, going into menu and save a new savegame, and even tried using console to create a new savegame.

In details:

Problem 1)

The sexlab eager npc mod's dialogue options don't make full use of all the animations i have installed in the game. The "making love" dialogue option was supposed to play missionary/cowgirl type animations, but it only picks nibbles animation and the default sexlab ones, completely ignoring other great animations such as from billyy, milky, ayasato, anubs... Simply because those animations don't have the "loving + facing + vaginal" tag combination. Same goes for all the other dialogue options.

So I used SLATE to add those tags. It seems to have worked, i could see the newly added tags on the animations. But SLEN still doesn't pick those animations. But i guess this is also half SLEN's fault.

This is from SLEN Dialogue Choices.json, show which tag it looks for and filters out. Changing these doesn't help either, so i can only take this as a guide and changing tags instead.

"FM Make love","2","Vaginal,Facing,Loving","TRUE","Furniture,Aggressive,Anal","",

Problem 2)

I went in the  SLATE_Standard_Tags.json  and added a new tag "fav" to the list. So i can mark some of my favorite animations for easier access in SL Tools or SL Defeat.

During the first time it worked.

After that i tried to remove the tag from some animations again, or adding new animations to it. The tag seems to be added/removed, but when i filter for the "fav" tag, the old animations that should have the tag removed, still show up in the list, but the tag is not there if i hover my mouse over the animation. And the new animations i have added during the 2nd time won't show up. So it worked for the first time and then never again, it's almost as if i have to create a new tag again. Making manual save in the ways i mentioned above didn't help either. Saved/loaded/restarted game, all didnt help.

I have searched online for similar issues but can't find any posts about any of the problem im encountering here.

So you basically have SL, SL Tools, SL Defeat, SLATE and SLEN mixed up in this, all potentially with their internal caches, filters, limitations and interpretations of tags. My first rhetorical question is, are you sure this is even supposed to work? I mean I've personally had issues with SL Tools not showing all animations I expected it to. I looked into at the time but don't remember the details anymore; except that it displayed the animation cache that SL had stored for the current thread controller. This is obviously preferable in most cases but it also means it is not the tool for "viewing all available animations", an important thing to keep in mind.

Changing the SLEN Dialogue Choices.json file probably does nothing because SLEN never reads it. Judging by the directory name, this is a file that is processed by SLATE at some point. If I'm reading the code correctly, all *.json files in the SLATE directory are called action logs, so you'd probably have to press a button or something to have it read/import these.

SLATE appears to modify the sslBaseAnimation objects directly, both when making changes in the MCM and when importing action logs. So if I'm not mistaken then, all changes made by SLATE will be gone if something resets the animation registry in SL. Other mods can also modify tags just like SLATE, though I think that is very unlikely in this case.

The tag seems to be added/removed, but when i filter for the "fav" tag, the old animations that should have the tag removed, still show up in the list, but the tag is not there if i hover my mouse over the animation.

What list? SL Animation Editor? How did you determine the tags were added/removed if, like you said, the tag is not visible in what I assume is Animation Editor? And what filter? I do not have a filter in my Animation Editor. Looking at the code again, the Tags for the "tooltip" (area at the bottom of the Animation Editor) when hovering over the animation name at the top, come directly from the sslBaseAnimation object. If your tag is not there, then it's not there according to SL and thus any plugin querying SL for animation tags.

Edited by traison
13 minutes ago, traison said:

What list? SL Animation Editor? How did you determine the tags were added/removed if, like you said, the tag is not visible in what I assume is Animation Editor? And what filter? I do not have a filter in my Animation Editor.

When you are in SLATE MCM

I created a new tag named "joe", and filtered for it, those are the animation that have "joe" added to it, as you can see near the bottom. Later i tried to remove the "joe" tag from 5 ~ 6 animations among those, and the tag doesnt appear among the other tags anymore, but if i filter for "joe", those animation still apear, its like slate is not updating anything anymore. It adds the tag to animation once and refuses to do anything else ever again.

ScreenShot3.png

ScreenShot4.png.c369d4623edd59688641e6d346ee49f9.png

So when i use SL Tools, and search for tag "joe", i would get these animations, but these are the animations i added in the very first attempt, animations that i have added during the 2nd attempt wont appear, nor would the old anmation (which have the tag "joe" removed thru SLATE) disappear

Anubs Doggystyle for example was added later, and wont show up in the list (but at least shows up in the SLATE list, animations added during 3rd attempt dont even make it in there). I tried to remove "joe" tag from those ayasato invisible furniture animations and yet they still show up when i filter for "joe"

Edited by bluetortoise

I would use the Animation Editor in SL as the definitive list. Mainly because SL is the one maintaining the tag list and, all SL mods I know query SL for tag information in one form or another. If you make a tag change in SLATE and it doesn't appear in SL, I'd assume SLATE is the problem.

1 hour ago, traison said:

I would use the Animation Editor in SL as the definitive list. Mainly because SL is the one maintaining the tag list and, all SL mods I know query SL for tag information in one form or another. If you make a tag change in SLATE and it doesn't appear in SL, I'd assume SLATE is the problem.

What is this animation editor you speak of?

And is there any other way to edit the tag? I mean entire list of animation in json format is just lying around in the SLAnim folder from the SL AnimationLoader mod, i have tried to edit the tag there but that doesnt seem to do anything either.

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2022 at 9:09 AM, bluetortoise said:

Ok....

in sexlab's mcm menu theres a thing to clean animation cache.... that did the trick, now everything seems to work as it should.

Thank you 

That worked.

Its the first time I had to use that clean animation cache, seriously added/removed tags at least in 3 different playthroughs and never had the problem of my tags not being respected.

Ran the "clean animation cache" in Sexlabs rebuild section and they all started working.