Is there a fix for having too many saves? (BGSLoadGameBuffer::unk_597B20+C9)

I went to the folder in question and ran all the .Nif files in there through SSE Nif Optimizer and that seemed to do it. Thank you! Also, I now am seeing in the crash report the repeated mentions of that particular .nif file. But I dont see where you got that the crash occurred while handling a .nif. Is that somewhere in the crash report?

The call stack, which is read top to bottom where top is the most recent call, is full of Ni* object names conveniently provided to you by the crash logger. Open a nif in NifSkope and you see what I mean.

Typically I'd say the call stack is reliable, the registers may not be, nor the stack dump. The registers I'd describe as named memory pointers unique to each cpu architecture. Whether these memory areas actually exist in the cpu or not I'm not sure about, I'd assume they are. The stack (from which the stack dump is made) is a bit like a workbench. Usually a hint to what the code is doing right now, but without more indepth analysis, always assume that it may also contain future and/or past items as well.

In this case it was quite obvious though, as we had Ni*'s in the call stack being actively processed, and the nif name in the stack. It could have been the name of the previous nif that the game did something with however.

Edited by traison

When the first hundered lines are missing scripts and properties your save is basically f*ed. Yours has thousands. I didn't bother looking through the other 26,000 lines of errors as I at this point assume 99% of those are because of the first 4,000.

Regardless, I doubt the game freezing is because of this. Your papyrus threads may be clogged up, but that's a different issue.

Edit: What did you even do to cause this much damage? Uninstall all your scripted mods mid-playthrough? ?

Edited by traison
3 minutes ago, traison said:

When the first hundered lines are missing scripts and properties your save is basically f*ed. Yours has thousands. I didn't bother looking through the other 26,000 lines of errors as I at this point assume 99% of those are because of the first 4,000.

Regardless, I doubt the game freezing is because of this. Your papyrus threads may be clogged up, but that's a different issue.

Edit: What did you even do to cause this much damage? Uninstall all your scripted mods mid-playthrough? ?

Most likely haha. I knew my save was going to be messed up so I went ahead and did the unthinkable and have been tinkering with this playthrough the whole time. Ive been doing all the naughty removing, adding and updating mid game stuff you're not supposed to do. How else can you figure out which mods you actually want in a long playthrough and which mods still work after a long time? + restarting a new game over and over isn't really fun. I'm surprised my saved game has lasted to over level 80 now. 

With all that said, I do want to struggle through and attempt to keep going. I noticed some reoccurring stuff from a specific follower mod and I went ahead and updated that one. Hopefully this lets me play for a few more levels lol. Also, I'm fairly certain that even though this save game is prolly messed up, my skyrim profile should be okay in general and fairly stable.  

Thank you for all the help, you have been a true savior! 

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2022 at 9:56 AM, traison said:

I decided to start a new game because my save was pretty messed up, but the papyrus log looks almost exactly the same as the old one. Does this mean the scripts are not coming from my save but from my LO and mods? Is there a way to start at the top of the log and attempt to fix whatever is broken? I see a lot of "Missing File?" errors and unable to bind script errors.

Papyrus.0.log

I suppose it would be possible you got mods where the creators left in old edits. Like they used to have a script on an item but then decided it wasn't needed, deleted the file but left a reference in the plugin. The mod might still work as intended but it's going to cause that mess you're seeing in your papyrus log. Personally though, I'd have no confidence in such mods and thus would fix them myself or remove them.

With a mess like yours I think what I'd do is go through the first thousand or 2 lines and note down file names. Then locate the mods that provide these files. For missing files you'd obviously have to look for patterns or otherwise try to guess which mod they may be from. Once you have a list of mods causing issues you can decide what to do. If it looks like you're about to nuke half your setup you may need to rethink everything.

There's also an xEdit script that may help with this: Skyrim - List used scripts.pas