[Question] Applying hair tints to werewolves, possible?

Yeah, it's me again. :P

So, I've been wondering ... do you think it would be possible to modify the werewolf mesh and transformation script in such a way that it would correctly identify the source body's hair color and apply a matching tint?

I'm not  entirely certain how the tint stuff works in Skyrim, I only remember it was possible in DA and that, in theory, tints should be accessible as they're presets. So, hm, if we had a script that saved the character's hair tint value and applied it to a (modified) werewolf mesh, do you think that could be done? I imagine it would be kind of neat if every werewolf's fur color matched the transformed character's hair color and they were actually ... individual looking!

This can be done without any scripting. Look at the material branch for any set of hair in the game; all it has is a bump map and a texture map. You can copy the branch to another mesh and just reset the directory to the new diffuse/bump files. The texture map (diffuse) needs to be taken into photoshop or whatever and be desaturated to black and white only. The color of the hair should still remain the same even when you transform to Wolf I think, unless it doesn't include headpart/hair data for that race (wolf). Nice idea btw.

This can be done without any scripting. Look at the material branch for any set of hair in the game; all it has is a bump map and a texture map. You can copy the branch to another mesh and just reset the directory to the new diffuse/bump files. The texture map (diffuse) needs to be taken into photoshop or whatever and be desaturated to black and white only. The color of the hair should still remain the same even when you transform to Wolf I think, unless it doesn't include headpart/hair data for that race (wolf). Nice idea btw.

Very interesting post, I'm going to try that tomorrow. I'm not sure it includes any headpart data but that's a very good approach! :D Thank you very much, I'll let you know if it works!

It doesn't work. The parts of the mesh with hair tint shader applied are invisible. The hair tint value does need to be carried over using a script otherwise the whole wolf is just covered in white fur. I think this is something that would require SKSE to work properly. I don't think there's any way of directly taking a color value and applying to a mesh. You could probably use a quest marker or token to hold a value the player can toggle to switch between different tints.

It doesn't work. The parts of the mesh with hair tint shader applied are invisible. The hair tint value does need to be carried over using a script otherwise the whole wolf is just covered in white fur. I think this is something that would require SKSE to work properly. I don't think there's any way of directly taking a color value and applying to a mesh. You could probably use a quest marker or token to hold a value the player can toggle to switch between different tints.

Yeah, thanks for confirming what I'd already thought from just looking at the were mesh. Hrm. I think I'll have to take the script route since the entire point of the mod would be for NPC werewolves to have different tints based on their human form's hair color rather than just allowing the player to choose their tint. Hmm hmm hmmm. Okay, there aren't that many werewolf NPCs in the game, but still.... I have this crazy idea about creating more diverse creatures by applying a variety of random tints (wolves ranging from white to black, for example) so this is really part of yet another crazy big idea... ;-)

Thank you for your work and input, I truly appreciate it! :D

Archived