IFPV and Improved Camera combination mod request!

Good day to you fellow modders, 

I was thinking about how to make the ultimate immersion mod for skyrim se. Then I realized that it kind of already exist. The only problem, that it is actually two different mods. IFPV and Improved camera. 

Some of you may know, that IFPV have an internal option, that basically makes the mod turn off third person view making it into the actual IFPV first person view. If you toggle the mod with your chosen button and when you don't want to use it, you can turn it off ingame back into vanilla version, that means in that version you have no visible body and so on, and that is not good. 

So after thinking about what I really want to achieve, I came to this realisation: I generally want to play skyrim by using improved camera, because that is better in battle and overall use. Yet I also realized that in some cases IFPV first person view is just much more sophisticated, if you know what I mean. "cough" 

So my mod request is this: 

Connect IFPV with improved camera in a way, that when you toggle the mod activate button in IFPV it doesn't change back into vanilla first person view, instead of that it changes to improved camera, and when a situation arises, that you want to use IFPV you simply have to push the button again, and that's it. 

And by the way this way you would be able to configure in improved camera configuration the "fNearDistanceFirstPerson=10.0" to ten making the flickering shields and mountains stop. While letting it on 1 or on zero in the IFPV configurations, this way you can still play normally and see your own body in any possible situation without epilepsy risk. 

I personally tried to make this happen through some loopholes, like installing both of them at the same time, hoping that Improved camera will be activated in the background anyway, and IFPV will only activate when I chose to, overwriting the other, but it was shot down fast cause the game simply don't start when both of them are installed because some dll error I didn't bother to remember. It would fail anyway since the most likely thing that would happen that both IFPV and improved camera would be activated at the same time creating a big crash. Then I tried to connect the two through scripts, but until now it doesn't worked out at all. That is why I came to here, since I only have basic understanding in a few program languages. I think it could be solved by creating a switch that turns off one perspective and activates the other, but I don't really know how to create it at the moment by myself.

Tell me guys, what do you think of this, is it possible to make?

Much appreciated,

Yokem 

Actually, all the problems with the first person view would be solved if someone ported the old IFPV version 1.9. It has an MCM menu with easy customization of everything you need. It worked perfectly, I don't know why the author abandoned this concept and then made a monster out of this mod, which he later ported to SE. I know that the main problem in porting is that the SKSE was completely rewritten and the old dll. now it doesn't fit. In general, need a hero who will make a new dll. to this mod.

Edited by Izolenta

Yes I agree, that would be the best possible solution to the problem. But, I think, that it is not likely to happen because, it didn't happened until now... So, I thought of this proposed solution as a fast fix to a long existing issue. 

• 1 month later...

Okay, guys.

I worked on the issue for a while, and I am satisfied with the result so I will share it with you. What I did was a series of combinations in the improved camera txt INI files. I used many different versions that were created by others combined the aspects that I wanted and added my two cents to the matter. In the end I managed to achieve the exact result I wanted. It didn't took that much time really, I just tested it for a long time to see if it works fine, and beside my real life job, that just stretched out for a while.

Anyway, to achieve what I describe in the beginning of the topic, you need to install improved camera on its own. No need for IFPV at all. After you install it double click on it in your mod manager chose the INI files section, click on the appearing line of text under the INI files that starts with, SKSE/plugins/improved... that is the only one that will appear... Delete the current information inside the text file, and copy the text from the one I attach to this massage. Save the changes.

Then you are basically good to go. 

IMPORTANT TO READ:

The thing it does is the following: It makes your character to have two different first person view. You can change them by using the scroll wheel on your mouse. If you scroll in for a while, you will enter normal improved camera vision, that you can use for fighting walking around and playing in a general way. You will be able to see your body just fine. 

If you scroll in further, you will get the version I recommend for sexlab scenes. This means your camera will be attached to your characters eyes exactly. That means if you use it for normal playing your vision will be shaking around like in the middle of a magnitude five earthquake, and you will most likely puke out your guts in a few minutes moving around in that manner... But, for specifically sexlab scenes its perfectly fine giving you a very realistic experience. This first person vision appears in the place of normal third person vision. ( Extra note if you saved your game in third person camera you will automatically start from this view now. So if your game starts from the second first person view, the shaking one... You only have to scroll backwards and you will enter the other first person view... so don't panic if that happens. ) 

If you want to exit from one of this first person camera mods, you simply have to roll back or forward with the scroll wheel, on your mouse. (Extra note, from now on, you will unable to enter into third person view, with the mouse scroll wheel, only with the dedicated button can you exit to third person camera, but you will still be able to enter from third person camera into first person camera.) 

I also recommend the following things. Choose a button that is easy to use as a dedicated button to activate third person view when you want to use it. I have a mouse that have extra buttons on its side, and I choose one of those to do the deed. Because if you want to change into third person from first person camera mode you have no other option anymore. Also, for some reason the scrolling feature sometimes get stuck for a few seconds... In that case you only have to push the change view button, I think it is normally the "V" but I am not sure, and it will get fixed on its own. 

One more thing, since you will clearly use it with sexlab, since there is no other reason I could imagine this would come in handy... I also recommend to chose a specific button in the sexlab hotkey options for activating free camera view change it from the the default numpad 3. If you do so, you will have another third, first person camera to choose from. It is not that good, as the other one in my opinion, since in this one, you can't look up or down. There is only a fixed camera, looking exactly from the eyes of your character, this also shakes, so don't use it for normal gameplay. 

Oh, yeah this third, first person camera can only be activated with the chosen button of the sexlab hotkey free camera function. It would normally drop you to a free camera third person view, but from now on it will only do this if you are already in third person view. If you are in first person view and activate it, it will instead drop you in this fixed camera view, that is only useful in sexlab scenes. 

Also I changed the text on the fNearDistanceFirstPerson=2.0 by default, on my pc, it only causes small level of flickering mountains and textures that I myself can easily tolerate. If you are irritated by it you can simply change the number to a bigger one in the text under the:

; Settings for changing fNearDistance
; Decreasing these settings reduces camera clipping but may make mountains flicker

fNearDistanceFirstPerson=2.0

fNearDistanceThirdPerson=15.0
fNearDistanceSitting=3.0
fNearDistanceCrafting=2.0
fNearDistanceKillmove=2.0

Yes, the first one is the one you should change... If you write a bigger number, you will have less flickering, but the closer textures, will also have a bigger area where they disappear. The default number on this is 10, by the way, but for sexlab scenes I don't recommend to go further than five... Three is the most balanced in the level of flickering and vision but it also have some compromises. 

Okay, that everything I think. Have fun!

Perfected improved camera INI txt.txt

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

It's been a while, I guess. Thing is, I have made some improvements to the improved camera txt. Turns out it wasn't as perfect as I hoped it was. I thought, I will drop by and share it with whoever is interested. 

Changes: I have recently solved the flickering shields and mountains problem even in the first person view. It was ridiculously simple, and I am quite annoyed that I didn't think about it sooner. 

Another change I made is that from now on HDT-SMP works in first person view as well. It bugged me for a long time until I managed to find a post where people resolved this issue at the supposed cost of some finer shadow detail on the character skin. Alas, I didn't notice any difference in my setup.

That's it, all things considered. I am extremely satisfied with the current result, which is a lot more deserving of the title, perfected improved camera txt...

Have fun with it. 

Yokem

ImprovedCamera.ini

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 9:59 PM, dimamid said:

Does this work for SE?

Hi,

Yes, it is for SE, version. Sorry for the late answer you probably already realized it. I should have stated that somewhere.

Also, if you still notice distant mountain flickering you need to open the text as it is describe above and edit:

; Settings for changing fNearDistance
; Decreasing these settings reduces camera clipping but may make mountains flicker

fNearDistanceFirstPerson=5.0 - put it somehere between 5.0 and 15.0

It could take a few restarts to get it right for your taste. The reason I don't let it sit on 15.0 as the original settings suggest. Is because that causes the visible body shoulders and hair to dissapear partially. Also eating mods like Eating Animations and Sounds SE wont look that well from first person.

You see "fNearDistanceFirstPerson" view creates an invisible bubble from the position of your camera that makes the textures dissapear in a set radius. The reason for this is to avoid unnecessary cluttering , like hair covering up the view of your camera, or seeing from behind your characters eyes which could happen based on your camera settings for more fluid gaming experience.

Alas with this type of settings we are attempting to do the exact opposite, but still keeping the original sense of comfort at a certain level.

The entire problem with the flickering is caused by the fact that the game renders two different textures. One is best described as near textures which is much more detailed and appears when your character gets in a certain distance of an object. While the other is the distant texture, that is obviously less detailed to save up resources for the pc to direct in more meaningful tasks like rendering near textures. 

The flickering that we see, is basically the change that happens between the two texture types. The moment they change down one another cases the effect. This in itself wouldn't really be noticable since it only shows for a single frame, which our eyes would easily ignore. 

However, with taking the value of "fNearDistanceFirstPerson" view to a too low number, like 1, 2 or 3... it causes an interesting conflict that makes the game continuously repeat the cycle of change between the two texture types. That is what we call flickering. It is an innate problem of the game engine that can't be resolved without fundamentally changing the engine itself.

Therefore the solution to the problem was simply going around it with new set of parameters and interchangable values.

My entire misunderstanding along with many others of the problem came from the lack of explanation that the original creators of the mod provided, or perhaps my inability to find said explanation. However, based on my experiences, I was hardly the only person struggling with this issue. Perhaps that is an excuse for my lack of ingenuity on this subject.

I simply didn't notice or even if I did I ignored the value called "fNearDistanceScripted="

I never really cared about the exact meaning of what we call "scripted scenes"until recently. To spare you the trouble, they are the moments when fixed predetermind animations happen to characters. In other words, all sexlab scenes are included into this chategory... except maybe Osa stuff, but I am not even sure about that.

Therefore, changing this value allows us to fix the "fNearDistanceScripted=1.0" That overrides and minimizes the texture erasing bubble letting everything close to the view point of the camera to be visible, while also allowing the flickering to happen in the background for the time of the animation. Then dropping the override and allowing the normal "fNearDistanceFirstPerson" to take over again.

This way we can enjoy the best of every setting while customising it to our own desire.

Sorry for the long winded explanation. I just thought that someone might be curious of the exact workings behind the scenes. 

Yokem