Mod Manager for The Sims 4

Hello folks, I created a mod manager for myself and decided to share with you folks.

You can download it here: https://github.com/lwdgeek/modmanagers-thesims4/releases

There's no installer, simple .exe file but you can find instructions on how to install the runtime for .net6 here:https://github.com/lwdgeek/modmanagers-thesims4

Free, open source and that's it. I did it for me and I plan on doing something bigger/better for other projects as well.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

WARNINGS:

- Before testing this tool please backup your mods just in case something weird happens.

- Again, backup your mods. :D

If you want to help me out on this project

- Get a print screen when you find a bug so I can fix it ASAP. If you happen to know how to reproduce the issue, that'd be great.

Installing.png

main.png

settings.png

Edited by lwdgeeks
Added warnings

Gave a "like" for the idea. Any chance of some screenshots or at least a description of how it works? Will it organize my existing CC or only things I install with the manager? My dream CC manager that I would make if I knew how to code is one that would scan through the CC folder, find duplicates, and categorize things according to their CAS or BB category. It would also let me change the tags on CC so I could quickly fix all the stuff that's in the wrong category. Is this anything like that?

@SouthernGorilla, thanks for your input. screenshots are there. :}

So, regarding the content manager is an early version of something that I'm working on, your ideas seem nice and I need more input from people to understand the current version is actually good and what I need to keep, change or improve.

I would ask you to send the requirements you wish the CM should have and we can work towards that. We can talk over discord as well, I want to create something cool that will  help people manage their content. I have a lot of things for all my games and I find it cumbersome to do it by hand.

Can you enumerate the things you want? can you give the cc a try to let me know what works and what it doesn't?

Just make sure to backup your installed mods before trying it out just in case something weird happens, haha.

So...

So far from the things you've said I support:

- Scan CC folder

- Handle duplicates (I don't "find" them but installation keeps track of them so I won't install twice but it's easy to add something that would flag duplicates so you can delete duplicates.)

I don't support:

- Categorization.

Regarding categorization, do all mods have those things properly configured? 'Cause it's somewhat easy to get metadata from the file if they happen to have it on details or something like that.

Installing.png

main.png

settings.png

Edited by lwdgeeks
fixed broken english

I haven't had a chance to download it yet. But I wanted to take the time to answer your question about what I'm looking for.

My biggest problem with managing mods is that so many of them are poorly tagged. I've seen cowboy boots in "swimwear" and slinky dresses in "cold weather". Right now, the only way I have to fix that is to go into CAS, load up a sim with all the "wrong" outfits I can fit on them, then use Sims 4 Tray Importer to move all those pieces to a special folder. Then I open Sims 4 Studio and go through that folder piece by piece fixing all the tags. What I keep looking for is a way to find all the related items in my mods folder without having to go through CAS. I want to be able to filter my CC to find all the "hot weather" or "formal" stuff so I can verify it is actually what it is supposed to be. I don't want the manager to fix the tags, just find them so I can fix them in Sims 4 Studio.

The Sims 4 Mod Manager from modthesims comes pretty close. But it only lets me filter by type, not category. So I can find all the "tops" or all the "full body", but I can't find "party".

Hmmm, I think my version will NOT satisfy you at. all. It's too of an early version to have that many features, I don't even open the package files yet. It's a just an organizer installer/uninstaller for bulk packages.

But I'll get there, I think. Or at least I'll try. I'll have to take a better look on the mod manager from modthesims (I didn't like it 'cause it is too cumbersome, too heavy and weird) and other stuff to know if I can open and close those files through the app.

But yeah, I don't know if, right now, my version is a good fit for a use case like yours 'cause it lacks features. Hmm.

No worries. You don't have to build anything to satisfy me. I'm just passing along what I want out of a manager.

I'm probably going to uninstall the modthesims manager. It just doesn't do quite what I want. Having a folder with "tops" and another with "full body" doesn't in any way make it easier to deal with broken stuff. I had hoped, when I saw it read the CAS info, that it would allow me to sort by "formal", "athletic", etc. But it doesn't.

Anyhow, good luck with your project. I'm sure it will help some folks.