fallout 4 way too frequently crashes at main menu

for some stupid fucking reason, my fallout 4 constantly ctds at the damn main menu if i use certain mods outside of what i already have installed and enabled.

204 active with 552 light.

almost every single mod i download, triggers a buffout 4 crash report that registers nothing but nuka world, nuka world voices, and nuka world robot protection.

HOW and WHY is this even possible?!

the following crash report is LITERALLY 99.9% of EVERY crash report that i get from fallout 4.

crash-2021-11-25-20-08-53.log

Here's an interesting post about bsa limits for bethesda games but I haven't found anything specific on exactly how many open BSA files you can have in Fallout 4.  Generally people are saying issues can happen with over 400, maybe 450+ bsa files. 

BSA's can be unpacked, and if you are running Mod Organizer 2 it's pretty easy to do so.  But you may want to do some research before going through all of that, if it's necessary at all with your mod setup.  Because the other thing I read was that Buffout will specify if you are hitting that limit, and your crash log doesn't seem to be indicating that as far as I can tell. 

The other problem with all of this is that there are some performance gains to be had by having files packaged in a bsa archive.  So you'd want to be careful about which mods you changed from BSA to "Loose Files".  And I don't know enough about it to give more detail than that. 

My advice would be to see if there's a specific mod that isn't playing nice with your setup, because the buffout log has a pretty generic error from what I can tell.  You could also post that log into the buffout support thread over on the Nexus.

The posted Buffout error message unfortunately seems cryptic as most error messages are.  You can already tell that there is an issue with Fallout4.exe because the game has frozen or crashes.  It is not telling you Mod XYZ has problem X, which is causing your game to crash.

I don't know if this is a new build for you.  In other words, did you just install and activate all those mods at once?   Were you using tried and true mods and just added some more and this problem occurred?

I can't tell you exactly how to fix this issue.  What I would do is start deactivating some of your mods until you get the game to load.  Not sure what Mod Manager you use, but some allow you to use profiles.  You could copy your current profile and maybe name the new one test.  This way you could refer back to the original if needed.  I have a feeling you may simply have too many mods active and your machine and/or the games engine can't handle it.  When you start a build from scratch always install a few mods then start the game and test.  If that goes well then add a few more until you get all the mods installed that you wanted and the game is stable.  Don't worry about your character or save game progress at this point.  You must build the game first, get it stable, then you can play.  Once stable save that your build somewhere in case you screw something up later.  If you are like me you always like to play around with new mods and will probably make the game unstable at some point.  Don't panic, go back to where you were stable and go from there.  

Getting rid of the BSA's and going to loose files will probably make the problem worse.  The game is trying to load more than it can handle.  You may try merging some plugins or find a single mod that does the same thing as multiple mods you use now.  This way you could deactivate some of those mods and lighten the load.  Maybe you have too many mods that use 8K or 4K resolution.  Try using features with lower resolutions.  Do you have any environment mods "Floral Overhaul" or "ReGrowth"?  We all want our games to look beautiful but it takes a toll on your game running smoothly.  Grass mods are notorious for eating up frame rates.  Also ensure all your mods are up to date.  You have a lot of mods with .dll files.  If those are out of date, especially used with other mods needed by the main one they can cause CTD's.

I know a lot of work to find the problem, when you just want to play the game.  Welcome to the World of Modding.    Many people will say they spend more time modding the game

then playing it.

Good Luck.

1 hour ago, Samuraitech said:

The posted Buffout error message unfortunately seems cryptic as most error messages are.  You can already tell that there is an issue with Fallout4.exe because the game has frozen or crashes.  It is not telling you Mod XYZ has problem X, which is causing your game to crash.

I don't know if this is a new build for you.  In other words, did you just install and activate all those mods at once?   Were you using tried and true mods and just added some more and this problem occurred?

I can't tell you exactly how to fix this issue.  What I would do is start deactivating some of your mods until you get the game to load.  Not sure what Mod Manager you use, but some allow you to use profiles.  You could copy your current profile and maybe name the new one test.  This way you could refer back to the original if needed.  I have a feeling you may simply have too many mods active and your machine and/or the games engine can't handle it.  When you start a build from scratch always install a few mods then start the game and test.  If that goes well then add a few more until you get all the mods installed that you wanted and the game is stable.  Don't worry about your character or save game progress at this point.  You must build the game first, get it stable, then you can play.  Once stable save that your build somewhere in case you screw something up later.  If you are like me you always like to play around with new mods and will probably make the game unstable at some point.  Don't panic, go back to where you were stable and go from there.  

Getting rid of the BSA's and going to loose files will probably make the problem worse.  The game is trying to load more than it can handle.  You may try merging some plugins or find a single mod that does the same thing as multiple mods you use now.  This way you could deactivate some of those mods and lighten the load.  Maybe you have too many mods that use 8K or 4K resolution.  Try using features with lower resolutions.  Do you have any environment mods "Floral Overhaul" or "ReGrowth"?  We all want our games to look beautiful but it takes a toll on your game running smoothly.  Grass mods are notorious for eating up frame rates.  Also ensure all your mods are up to date.  You have a lot of mods with .dll files.  If those are out of date, especially used with other mods needed by the main one they can cause CTD's.

I know a lot of work to find the problem, when you just want to play the game.  Welcome to the World of Modding.    Many people will say they spend more time modding the game

then playing it.

Good Luck.

that log happens when i activate a mod, that for some reason, doesn't play well with something else.

but buffout is ass and doesn't say what the problem is, it just flags nuka world and nothing else.

uninstalling the most recent mod, and staying on the current list, usually makes everything work before the crash.

example (this is before the 1.4 update to furry fallout, which is breaking my game on loading a save): i downloaded high heal system, dinky pinup outfits, and outfit switcher. all 3 files together caused a ctd at main menu with that generic crash report. so, i disabled outfit switcher, still crashed. i disabled both high heel and dinky (dinky won't work without high heel), game worked fine until i tried loading a save file (then it crashed due to furry fallout 1.4 update and flagging father gabe 20+ times).

i don't know why, but i have an EXTREMELY temperamental fallout 4 game. i actually had to get rid of a few of my creation kit mods that worked just fine in the past, that started to throw ctds at the main menu recently. i even had to get rid of heather casdin and the aer15 mod, because for some unknown god damn reason, they were being flagged over OUTFIT mods that had absolutely NOTHING to do with casdin or the aer15. 

1 hour ago, IceBlazeWinters said:

that log happens when i activate a mod, that for some reason, doesn't play well with something else.

but buffout is ass and doesn't say what the problem is, it just flags nuka world and nothing else.

uninstalling the most recent mod, and staying on the current list, usually makes everything work before the crash.

example (this is before the 1.4 update to furry fallout, which is breaking my game on loading a save): i downloaded high heal system, dinky pinup outfits, and outfit switcher. all 3 files together caused a ctd at main menu with that generic crash report. so, i disabled outfit switcher, still crashed. i disabled both high heel and dinky (dinky won't work without high heel), game worked fine until i tried loading a save file (then it crashed due to furry fallout 1.4 update and flagging father gabe 20+ times).

i don't know why, but i have an EXTREMELY temperamental fallout 4 game. i actually had to get rid of a few of my creation kit mods that worked just fine in the past, that started to throw ctds at the main menu recently. i even had to get rid of heather casdin and the aer15 mod, because for some unknown god damn reason, they were being flagged over OUTFIT mods that had absolutely NOTHING to do with casdin or the aer15. 

Dicky's Pinup Outfits, and Heather  Casdin are probably not the issue.  Only issue with Heather Casdin is if you have the "Radio Olivia Overnight" mod also installed.  They use the same channel for the radio until you have Heather as a companion.  I have both those mods and have not had problems.  I seem to remember mention of, or read something about problems with outfit switcher.  I down loaded that mod but did not install it for that reason.

You may need to post the list of mods you use for people to really help. 

One thought.  When you are disabling mods to test this issue, are you starting a new save?  Taking mods out will still leave things behind in the save that could crash the game.  I have often thought someone should create a test dummy mod like the commercials for car crashes in order to test mods in your new build.  Don't get too attached to a save or character until your mods are all added and happy with each other.  You may need to use a new save many times.  

This is why I use vanilla saves to start at a certain part of the game without being in the vault every time, BORING!  Also you should not activate mods until you have left the vault.

I do not use alternative start mods.  A vanilla save works fine for me.  You can find them on Nexus.  I usually use one that starts you at leaving Good Neighbor.  Far enough along in the game but not too far.

From posted log and what i see, possible reasons for ctd are:

1 -  FallSouls.dll

Quote from fallsouls author: For some users who experienced CTD on game loading,please check out whether you use these mods: Floating Damage, Better Console,

Crafing Hightlight Fix, Extended Dialogue Interface.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29119?tab=posts

And from posted logFloatingDamage.dll, crafting_highlight_fix.dll, Extended Dialogue Interface are active.

2 -  Buffout 4 and Baka ScrapHeap are redundant to degree. If you choose to stay with Baka, need to configure proper Buffout.

3 - Faster Workshop is redundant too with Buffout.

"Much faster settlement workshop loading times. (Completely replaced by Buffout 4.)

Here is explained:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/3115

Edited by SilentWanderer
2 hours ago, SilentWanderer said:

From posted log and what i see, possible reasons for ctd are:

1 -  FallSouls.dll

Quote from fallsouls author: For some users who experienced CTD on game loading,please check out whether you use these mods: Floating Damage, Better Console,

Crafing Hightlight Fix, Extended Dialogue Interface.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29119?tab=posts

And from posted logFloatingDamage.dll, crafting_highlight_fix.dll, Extended Dialogue Interface are active.

2 -  Buffout 4 and Baka ScrapHeap are redundant to degree. If you choose to stay with Baka, need to configure proper Buffout.

3 - Faster Workshop is redundant too with Buffout.

"Much faster settlement workshop loading times. (Completely replaced by Buffout 4.)

Here is explained:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/3115

i've never had a problem with fall souls and i have it configured properly in mcm and i have it, floating damage, crafting highlight, and ext dialogue all up to date with their most recent updates

i have buffout and baka set up correctly

i was using faster workshop because i was able to set a hotkey for workshop to get into it a lot faster, like instant access.

• 1 year later...