Question about editing .esps

Is it allowed to ask for help from experienced modders to edit other modders work (armor mod) but for private use, as in I wouldn't claim it to be mine or release it anywhere?

What I mean is, there is a custom armor mod I really like, but it's classified as light armor, I'd really like if it is allowed to seek help from others to edit it into cloths (so mage armor perk works). I have tried it myself but I simply mess up all the time.

I apologize if I sound cryptic, english isn't my native language.

Guest SemiPr0

Editing the material type for an armor is quite easy in the CK and doing so for your own personal use is no problem whatsoever. Re-distributing it would likely require permission to be gained unless the original author of the armor has explicitly stated in their terms of use that the armor can be modified and redistributed in any fashion as long as the original author is credited.

So largely it would just depend on if you intend to use it for personal use or not. What armor set are you trying to turn into cloth? Its not that difficult as CK editing goes, in fact its barely modding at all....more like data entry.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24390/ that's the mod, the viridium I'd like to change to cloth. I've tried with the CK but after saving my so called work and testing it ingame it wouldn't appear ingame anymore lol

I see I can change it from light armor to cloth in the CK, but there are also keywords I have to change to appropriate values too, which again I think I've done correctly, only after saving and testing nothing seemed to appear.

Weird note though, after I saved my edit the file was a lot smaller in size, from 34kbs to 2kbs lol

And once again for clarification: it's for personal use only, I do not intend to release said edits anywhere, or claims it's my work, heck I don't even plan on sharing screenshots of aformentioned edits lol

Guest SemiPr0

Well if you've only edited the Viridium forms for the plugin and saved it as a new plugin then all that is in the new plugin is the edited forms you changed. If you edited the main plugin and overwrote it the file size change is a bit confusing as nothing you haven't touched in the form list should be removed. So something is odd there.

Should also add that if you saved a new plugin with your changes, then that plugin needs to be activated in your modlist and must be loaded lower in the load order (below) the original plugin file for the edits to show up.

Archived