Dude500X Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 Anyway! What I plan on doing is the default Helgen start with a Nord Male. I plan on naming him Harald Redmane and I want to make him a pure mage as in Skyre mages are quite good and a Nord mage is quite a challenge with that mod. Now, I have rarely seen anyone make Thu'um use and Conjuration/Destruction work together before in my searches. I am wondering, has anyone actually made an offensive sorcerer type build (Will be using Heavy armor, likely something like Daedric or Spellbinder) that uses Necromancy and Destruction magic work well with Shouts? I just want to know some peoples opinions and experience with that type of character really. Is magic "viable" fighting Dragons? Also, due to battle staves being in the Mods I now use I'm thinking of maybe making a Melee,Mage,Shout Hybrid because I think that enchanting a Battle Staff to do elemental damage would be pretty badass. Anyway, regarding the RP... hmmm, dunno if I should go stormcloak or imperial or if I should ignore both sides until later on? But, if I do leave the civil war alone.. won't quests like Jagged Crown feel underpowered and weak if I'm a fully fledged character by the time I kill Alduin? Also, what faction questlines would suit a Shouting Battlestaff Mage sorcerer? I know the College is obvious, but maybe I should leave the theives guiild and dark brotherhood alone? Also, would magic users suit the companions? Ugh, so much decisions to make! Oh, here is my mod list, I can't believe how stable my game is on my new laptop, 40-60fps (weather depending). Anyone got any suggestions for other mods I could use to enhance my game in a lore friendly way? Skyrim.esm Active Update.esm Active Dawnguard.esm Active HearthFires.esm Active Dragonborn.esm Active ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Active JSwords.esm Active Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm Active moonpath.esm Active SPIKE.esm Active HighResTexturePack01.esp Active HighResTexturePack02.esp Active HighResTexturePack03.esp Active Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Active Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Active Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp Active vAutosaveManager.esp Active Chesko_Frostfall.esp Active Rainbows.esp Active Clanking Armor.esp Active Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp Active BirdsHFclean.esp Active Birdsofskyrim.esp Active Bring Out Your Dead.esp Active Chesko_WearableLantern.esp Active Chesko_WearableLantern_Caravaner.esp Active Dead Body Collision.esp Active Dual Sheath Redux.esp Active ShootingStars.esp Active skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds.esp Active WerewolfAftermathEquipper.esp Active Convenient Horses.esp Active Character Creation Overhaul.esp Active DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp Active Footprints.esp Active Footprints - Ash.esp Active WetandCold.esp Active WetandCold - Ashes.esp Active SkyUI.esp Active iHUD.esp Active Cloaks.esp Active Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp Active 1nivWICCloaks.esp Active 1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp Active DragonbornArmorFix.esp Active Elemental Staves.esp Active hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Active JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp Active MageBackpack_byTumbajamba.esp Active Dr_Bandolier.esp Active Dr_BandolierDG.esp Active IA6npc01.esp Active BandolierForNPCMasterFile.esp Active BandolierForNPCsWIC_V2.esp Active BandolierForNPCsCheaperBandoliers_BalancedWeight_Dawnguard.esp Active HarvestOverhaulDawnguardDragonborn.esp Active HarvestOverhaulCreaturesDawnguardHearthfireDragonborn.esp Active HarvestOverhaulSalmonRoe.esp Active DeadlyDragons.esp Active SkyRe_Main.esp Active SkyRe_Combat.esp Active SkyRe_CraftingFix.esp Active SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp Active SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp Active SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp Active SkyRe_StandingStones.esp Active SkyRe_Survivalism.esp Active qotsafans WIC ReProccer Patch.esp Active SkyRe_HarvestOverhaulDawnguardDragonbornPatch.esp Active LocalizedGuildJobs.esp Active moonpath_questdata.esp Active ResearchThief.esp Active Run For Your Lives.esp Active When Vampires Attack.esp Active The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp Active Wyrmstooth.esp Active AchieveThat.esp Active CCO - Oblivion Carry Weights.esp Active CCO - Permanent Birthsigns.esp Active Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp Active Headtracking.esp Active Immersive Weapons.esp Active qotsafans BringOutYourDead Patch.esp Active Crossbows_Basic_Collection_EN_LL.esp Active qotsafans CBC EN LL ReProccer Patch.esp Active Marriable Serana.esp Active Marriable Serana HF.esp Active OpenFaceGuardHelmets.esp Active Drinking Fountains of Skyrim.esp Active LoS and RE patch.esp Active TAVERiften.esp Active TAVESolitude.esp Active TAVEWindhelm.esp Active L0S and TaVE patch.esp Active WhiterunInEnhanced.esp Active RealisticRoomRental.esp Active RRR_Hearthfire-Patch.esp Active RRR_Dragonborn-Patch.esp Active RRR_Moonpath-Patch.esp Active ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp Active ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp Active ClimatesOfTamriel-Dungeons-Hardcore.esp Active ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp Active ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-8.esp Active dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp Active RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp Active RND_Dawnguard-Patch.esp Active RND_DrinkingFountains-Patch.esp Active RND_HearthFires-Patch.esp Active RND_USKP-Patch.esp Active RND_Dragonborn-Patch.esp Active dovahkiinrelax.esp Active Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp Active CCO - Dynamic Skill Progression.esp Active Crimson Tide - Blood.esp Active GDO_Plugin_SkyRe.esp Active Beards.esp Active hornsareforever.esp Active Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp Active QuickStart3_NoHelmet.esp Active CCO - Diverse Races And Genders.esp Active CharacterMakingExtender.esp Active SkyRe_Races.esp Active getSnowy.esp Active WATER.esp Active WATER Plants.esp Active WATER DB Waves.esp Active Blacksmithforge water fix Vanilla.esp Active Blacksmithforge water fix DG.esp Active Blacksmithforge water fix DB.esp Active RND_Water-Patch.esp Active GreenWaterFix_Compatible.esp Active GreenWaterFix_v2withDawnguard.esp Active ReProccerNONPLAYERfix.esp Active Merged Patch.esp Active Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp Active ReProccer.esp Active ReProccerDragonborn.esp Active
Thulas Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 As a Nord you might want to join the Stormcloak, but these "true sons of Skyrim" are nothing but a bunch of terrorists, almoust zealots. And a good mage would know this, so a true one'd join the Legion. The quests should level with you, so it doesn't mather when you do them. You definitly should avoid the companions, they are hunters and warriors. In their eyes you'd probably be a coward in the right suit, since you'll wear heavy armor. The theives guild may need a person with your talents, a bruiser of some sort. The brotherhood on the other hand are less interesting. Of course you could ignore stealth and head in and kill your target just as the orc in Oblivion did (whatever his name was), but if this isn't your style, better don't join them. But you also could eliminate the brotherhood, too. Wow. You have so many mods I barely even heard of
gjeldof Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 Actually, the guilds in Skyrim (TES in general) are less about what means they use than the goals they try to achieve ... or at sometimes only the style. Companions: While warrior-types are the norm, the guild itself is all about the adventure, the stories to experience, the deeds - the goal is recognition as a valiant and honorable warrior in Sovengarde. Basically that's perfectly fine for a battlemage-type, as long as your style is about openly facing your opponents in battle. Pure style. In comparison, the imperial Warrior's Guild wasn't about fighting, either, it was about offering the people of Tamriel protection from the more mundane sources that preyed on them: from wild animals to bandits to the occasional rogue mage or daedra. That it caters mostly to warrior-types is a result of mages often being reclusive, selfish or aloof ... and of course, rare. They weren't generally unwelcome, either. Mage's College: Despite the name, this guild's goal is not magickal education but the freedom of magickal pursuit - you don't really have to be a mage to join up, it'd be perfectly fine if you just believe that mages should be free to exist, research and live as they choose. Friends and/or family of actual mages would have perfect reasons to join up, and would be allowed to do so if they show at least some basic grasp of magicka ... and who doesn't in the TES universe? Thief's Guild: even less of a problem, how you do things is up to you, the guild actually loves getting members with magickal talents. They only have two important tenants: 1) coin is good, 2) don't kill, 3) coin is good! Good old personal material gain. Reason they don't excactly cater to mages is the same as for the Warrior's Guild/Companions: mages tend to be reclusive and rare. ... Oh, and they often have "better" ways of achieving material wealth than by stealing it - from Alchemy and trasmutational Alteration to Enchanting to ... simply conquering whole strips of land with summoned and/or enslaved minions. Muahaha. That being said, cases of mages cultivating good relations to the Thief's Guild aren't rare in lore, the guild is a perfect tool to acquire rare materials or ancient artifacts without exposing yourself, so doing a couple favours in return is not out of character. Dark Brotherhood: again, it's not about how you kill, the Brotherhood is all about the actual act of killing. The rush, the sensation, seeing the spark of life die in the victim's eyes, the power to choose who lives and who dies. Many ("many", mages are still ... rare) mages succumb to this at some point or other, and those often get lured to the Brotherhood. And are very welcome. Stormcloaks/Imperials: Okay, these are more complicated. Stormcloaks might have a just cause, but ... Ulfric is in more for power and revenge than anything, most of his followers are corrupt, racism is rampant, and the consequence of weakening the Empire even further is ... shortsighted. The Imperials aren't much better though - they're little more than sock-puppets of the Thalmor (which Ulfric is, too ... whatever). Which is the real problem: The Thalmor reek of Mehrunes Dagon. I wouldn't be surprise if they were the Summerset-section of the Mythic Dawn, or at least influenced. Ambitious, treacherous, brutal ... that's Dagon's fingerprints (claw-prints?) all over. And both sides of the civil war are controlled and played against each other by the Thalmor. Personally, I avoid both civil war factions like the plague unless the character has a very strong self-interest - basically, are you corrupt enough to throw in your lot with either, for material or political gain, or maybe a vengeance? Both sides work equally well in that case, even for a Nord. Don't get blinded by idealism or politics on this one, they're all lies. It's all about power and who'll hold the reigns after the dust settles. Oh, and of course there's that dragonborn thing ... As the dragonborn, you have the single best claim to the imperial throne, a direct connection to the Talos-soul and a lot of reasons to dislike the Thalmor even more. So ... why should you fight either the Talos-worshippers or the Empire? Bethesda botched that one pretty badly, IMHO. As for Thu'um vs magicka: there is little synergy, but also little conflict, just lots of redundancy. Personally, I've found I'm only using Thu'um for the unique effects (dragon control and whirlwind sprint ...) as a mage, since spells are more reliable and don't suffer from cooldowns. Thu'um synergizes a lot better with non-mage-types. I can't really come up with any conflict, though, unless you try to force Thu'um use. You might just want to pursue Thu'um for arcane knowledge and less for actual use if you're a mage. 'Hope this wall of text helps, a bit.
ratrace Posted May 2, 2013 Posted May 2, 2013 A little off-topic, or better my general feelings on roleplaying in Skyrim: Couldn't agree more with gjeldof. I always had a huge headache to choose a civil war side, and because of that eventually decided to skip the civil war quest entirely in future playthroughs. Even the truce negotiation (don't want to be more elaborate on that to avoid spoilers) is disgusting. I'm done with Stormcloaks and Empire as well. Dumb racists on the one side, corrupt usurpers on the other. Conclusion: Keep away from either side. At least that's what I usually do. Throughout many playthroughs I only met ONE Nord in Windhelm (can't remeber the name) who doesn't talk bullcrap like the "true Nord" thing or the "^true sons of Skyrim" blabber, but cares for the ones Ulfric Stormcloak likes to keep out of the cities and for who he does not mobilize a single soldier when they're in danger: Khajiit and Argonians. But basically, Ulfrics doctrine seems to pretty much trample on anybody who isn't a Nord. The dark elves are crammed in ghettos, Redguards are looked at with deep resentment. The Imperial Legion marionettes are equally unbearable. And the Thalmor.. I always have a good giggle when these self acclaimed savants prove with every syllable they utter that they have but one goal in their peanut brains, and that's power - by manipulating others. And the Empire cooperates. If they on their side use the Thalmor for their purpose - who cares? If it's for me they may run an lifetime competition in being manipulative until the end of days. I'd like to see a mod that gives the player a third alternative to do the civil war quest and giving both sides a black eye. Don't ask me how that would look like. I feel most comfy with a character that is a chosen outsider or even forced in the underdog role with a mindset that enables her (though I'm a male, I play females exclusively) to freely develop her own elaborate ethics. So mage or warrior or a mix of both (which she turns out to be in most cases) is just a question of the tools you choose. I find comfort in not killing anyone except in self defense, helping others from time to time, and first and foremost trying not to abuse the power I am given as Dragonborn. As an ousider my preferred race is the orc (or half-orc for that reason). Don't want to cover-advertise a mod I made, but that's the primary reason I created it. Not clearly belonging to any fraction, tribe or social sheet, rejected by both humans and orcs - I like that. P.S.: Religion? Talos? Code of Malacath? The Nine Divines? Perhaps, perhaps not. Probably I'd rather see a goat solve crossword puzzles.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.