Removing DD Devices from NPCs/Followers?

I'm trying to create a scenario in which the player has to rescue a follower from somewhere and then escape. I have said follower equipped with various DD devices but I can't figure out how the player can remove DD devices from a follower (or any NPC for that matter). I assume this is because devices are considered part of the "outfit" rather than "inventory" and so they can't be accessed through the "trade items" dialogue with the follower. It works when the NPC is enslaved through Paradise Halls because PAH seems to let you access all of the items on an NPC through dialogue inventory screen, including the outfit.

I've also found that when the follower NPC is wearing specific devices (I've only found this for zadx prisoner chains and zadx rusty prisoner chains) then there is a dialogue option for "Can I help you with your chains?". Which appears to do nothing other than have the NPC say thanks. The devices remain, even when there are restraints keys in the player inventory.

So I was wondering if anyone here knows of a way to remove devices from a follower or other NPC. Thanks.