Tweaking the Oblivion.ini file

Docfmf84

I allways had a problem with the fact that I had a awsome Grafix card and the game never wrote to it's full potencial. I there for have a fue tweaks for you all ((((((((Warning ))))))))) make a back up of your oblivion.ini file if you dont and your game wont load problems etc... I warend you. This works awsomely for me on that note.

All users should implement the Memory and Loading tweaks (with appropriate values) below, but the Multithreading tweaks are best used on Dual Core or HyperThreading CPUs.

Memory Tweaks:

uInterior Cell Buffer=3

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

The above values determine how many cells (whether for interior or exterior areas) are buffered into RAM. Note that usually the value of the Exterior Cell Buffer variable is automatically set by the engine based on the size of the uGridstoLoad variable. The higher that variable is, the higher the engine will raise this value. However if you want to smooth out your FPS, try manually setting a higher value for both of these, depending on how much RAM you have. For 1GB I recommend doubling the values (6 and 72 respectively). For 2GB of RAM, I use 16 and 102 respectively. For higher amounts of RAM, try raising them higher, however note that you should also raise the iPreloadSizeLimit value below.

iPreloadSizeLimit=26214400 - This setting appears to determine the maximum amount (in bytes) of RAM allowed for preloading game data. The higher the value, the more chance you have of reducing stuttering. The default value equates to around 25MB (divide the setting by 1024 to get KB, then by 1024 again to get MB). For those with 1GB of system RAM, try doubling the variable to 52428800. For those with 2GB, try double again at 104857600 (100MB). You can raise these values even further to experiment, however note that raising this to a large amount doesn't force all the game data to sit in RAM, and can actually cause crashes. I suggest the maximum anyone should set this to should be around 262144000 (250MB), even for 2GB of RAM. Make sure to raise your Cell Buffer values accordingly (see above).

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=0 - If set to 1, this setting attempts to unload cell data it thinks you won't need. This can help those with less than 1GB of RAM, however with 1GB or more of RAM, I recommend leaving it at 0 for greatly reduced stuttering.

Importantly: As you raise the values of iPreloadSizeLimit and the Cell Buffer variables further above, you should make sure bPreemptivelyUnloadCells is set to 0 to take advantage of such additional memory allocation, otherwise it will actively work against the benefits brought about by the other tweaks.

This is basic knowledge really if you had been following how to tweak Oblivion. However, in tweaking the above values, you are running the risk of the game crashing due to the engine having to run beyond what the default limits are.

So I'd advise to tweak one thing and test. One thing and test until it locks up. Then revert back the last setting you tweaked.

And for the record, Oblivion uses a shit engine which isn't quite good with our modern CPUs.

Archived