[Unity] The Incident at Cock Tower

Ā 

Hello all! You may know me for my previous work on the Skyrim mods Equip-able Stockings, Combat Fatigue, and Break Undies Plus. My time with Skyrim has long since ended, but my work has inspired me to finally make my own Unity game, which I call The Incident at Cock Tower. This game is currently in very early stages of development but I will keep updates posted on myĀ Patreon

here.

Ā 

What is The Incident at Cock Tower?

The Incident at Cock Tower, or Cock Tower for short, is a NSWF survival horror game heavily inspired by Clock Tower, Resident Evil, and Kaiki! Drill No Otoko Kyoufu.

Ā 

The Main character is Keira Edmunds, a Junior Treasury clerk sent with a colleague to asses Cockburne Mansion in rural Appalachia. The previous owner, Richard Cockburne, an eccentric millionaire chemist with no heirs or living relatives, mysteriously died, and his estate is under escheatment by the state. Upon arriving, Keira is separated from her colleague when odd creatures ambush them at the entrance, and now she must explore the estate to find her friend as well as avoid a persistent and lustful monstrosity.

Ā 

Gameplay

Cock Tower is a 3rd person Survival Horror game where the goal is to find a way to escape. Enemies are few and far between, and must be avoided or hidden from. The Cock Tower must be explored for key items and clues used to solve puzzles and open new routes.

Ā 

The strange creatures that inhabit Cock Tower have strong carnal desires, and will attempt to grab Keira. Enemies who successfully grab her will destroy an item of her clothing or, if nothing is worn to protect her, assault her. During assault scenarios, creatures infect Keira with toxins, causing her contamination meter to go up. If the level reaches 100%, its game over. The contamination meter goes down slowly over time, or Keira can purge a significant amount by pleasuring herself.

Ā 

Clothing destroyed by creatures cannot be recovered, but there are a number of Wardrobes scattered around Cock Tower that contain limited changes of clothes. Unlocking new wardrobes will unlock new outfits which can be selected when using a wardrobe.

Ā 

Keira can hold onto 2 small items, 1 large item, and if worn stuff 1 small item into her bra. Being attacked causes Keira to drop anything she is holding, and having her bra destroyed causes any items stored in it to drop as well.

Ā 

What is Planned?

1 roaming persistent enemy (Think Mr. X Mixed with Scissor man Crossed with Drill man)

Small, Killable enemies that spawn occasionally.

Large Mansion to explore and interact with.

Multiple Detailed NSFW scenes per enemy

Lots of puzzles

Lots of bad sex puns and innuendo

Lots of ENF bait

Ā 

What is done so far?

Keira Model, Default outfit, and standard animations.

Base model for persistent enemy

Base model for Boss/Obstacle.

Main Hall and Parlor of mansion 60% done.

Ā 

Images of Keira Model:

Ā 

keira01.JPG.7818b6c0e4c2c0ff01f67fe6b25a6783.JPG

keira02.JPG.95af7a01b6a5f2268d05c1e8cf6f23b5.JPG

keira03.JPG.c26ce94a972d34860f17d0517a68cb8c.JPG

Untextured base model for Primary Foe:

Ā 

monster.JPG.9d6b24da1c4dd980e5561c3c5a26e55b.JPG

Ā 

View of Cock Tower so far:

Ā 

mainhall.JPG.9543ad6d4f9c36d696c3d9a4a5296c54.JPG

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

I checked it out real quick, so I'll throw a couple things out there.

Ā 

Might as well start with the controls, I know, and I'm sure you know that people are going to whine about the game having Tank Controls. Tank Controls aren't inherently "bad" or anything, it's just takes time for players to re-adjust to. That said however, with the way your Camera system is currently setup, Tank Controls are not exactly ideal. They're typically best used in situations where the Camera is expected to suddenly swap angles, like early Resident Evil's static Camera Angles, of course. But when the player has 100% control over the Camera, it just gets annoying, because now you have to point both the Player Character AND the Camera in the correct direction anytime they need to change direction. It's possible it's only Tank controls at the moment since it's easier to program, but if you plan on sticking with it, the Camera needs to have more control over itself to compensate.

Ā 

Also the camera's Y-axis is inverted. I doubt you did it on purpose, I always like to remind devs that people like to invert both camera axis, so maybe keep it in mind as an option if you aren't already?

Ā 

Anyway, I just figured I'd get that out of the way. I wanna give some praise to the physics of both cloth and tits, they don't clip into the body, and don't seem too over the top, which is surprisingly rare in situations like these. Even big budget games took a while to get it right. Granted, the hair is a little off right now, and when I accidentally fell through the world, everything just broke, naturally. But it's a promising start.

Ā 

Speaking of falling through the world, not really sure if you have a built in reset function and I missed it, or you forgot to mention it or whatever, but when I was trying to explore the mansion, the doors with no rooms behind them has no collision, so I fell through the world and had to close and reopen the game. Not a big deal for me, but again, expect people to complain.

Ā 

Honestly, not sure I have anything else to add when it comes to stuff included in the demo, so I'll move onto concepts you brought up that sound interesting to me.

Ā 

First of all, I'm a huge fan of clothing damage, dunno what about it is so appealing to me, but it is. And I was just craving a good game with it recently too. I just find it annoying when games tie it to HP, so that drinking a potion somehow repairs clothes, or when the player character doesn't even react to the fact that she's now naked. Thankfully, you seem to already have plans to take care of both of those issues, which is alright with me.

Ā 

Speaking of removing clothes, the shoe removing mechanic sounds interesting, though maybe a little too weighted towards barefoot? I dunno, I like stealth, so being quieter AND faster just sounds outright better than being able to escape grabs faster. Maybe if you go outside in the grass, her bare feet hurt because of stray twigs and stuff, making her walk slower than she would with heels? and since it's grass the heels wouldn't be any louder than her bare feet anyway.

Or maybe you could take a page out of the Saw video games book, where certain areas are covered in sharp glass, making it a horrible idea to walk around in barefoot, but perfectly safe with heels. Maybe most of the enemies are also barefoot, so standing in a glass covered area will make them slow down?

Maybe you could even use them for puzzles? There's two pressure plates, and your shoes just happen to be enough to weigh one down. But when both get pressed, you're separated from them temporarily, making you extra cautious until you can get back to them.

Since you seem to already have plans for finding different outfits, maybe you can find different pairs of shoes too? Maybe some don't cut your run speed, but are even louder than heels... somehow... Maybe the opposite, where they somehow get quieter than bare feet, but move even slower than the heels? I dunno, but there's some potential here, and I like it.

Ā 

Speaking of outfits, I hope to see some that are clearly just there to be sexy, and wouldn't exactly be a girls first choice. Stuff like a Bath-towel that she has to hold in-front of her, or a skimpy Sling Bikini. Don't let immersion get in the way too much when designing outfits, otherwise they might feel too similar to each other after a while, discouraging players from even bothering putting on anything to begin with. That and since it's technically a horror game, some people might just want to have a silly outfit to help ease off on any possible fear so they can put more focus on being horny.

Ā 

I think that about covers everything I have to say right now. Hope some of it helped. I technically have a few more things to say related to movement and such, but I figured I would wait to see if you were happy with things as they were or not first. Didn't wanna make a big deal when you already planned on changing it all anyway.

Try #1...struggling with controls, struggling with camera, go to pink arrow only for nothing to happen, run through a door fall out of the level and have to close the game.

Ā 

Try #2...get upstairs after going to the arrow didn't do anything again, fall through a door to the first floor, door that says 'open' but can't figure out how, remove shoes for some reason, run into giant orbs that don't do anything, find out F is the open button, temporarily get caught on library stairs/floating in midair because instead of walking down them she ran off of them but eventually got done, found a door that opened to a wall even though tilting the camera and see there's a bathroom there, still struggling with controls, developer console was brought up some how, still struggling with camera and eventually once again run through a door fall out of the level and have to close the game.

Ā 

I didn't come across any enemy if there was supposed to be one.

Ā 

Camera and controls are on track to be the top enemies. ?

Might as well start with the controls, I know, and I'm sure you know that people are going to whine about the game having Tank Controls. Tank Controls aren't inherently "bad" or anything, it's just takes time for players to re-adjust to. That said however, with the way your Camera system is currently setup, Tank Controls are not exactly ideal. They're typically best used in situations where the Camera is expected to suddenly swap angles, like early Resident Evil's static Camera Angles, of course. But when the player has 100% control over the Camera, it just gets annoying, because now you have to point both the Player Character AND the Camera in the correct direction anytime they need to change direction. It's possible it's only Tank controls at the moment since it's easier to program, but if you plan on sticking with it, the Camera needs to have more control over itself to compensate.

Ā 

Also the camera's Y-axis is inverted. I doubt you did it on purpose, I always like to remind devs that people like to invert both camera axis, so maybe keep it in mind as an option if you aren't already?

Ā 

I'm not happy with the Camera at all. I'm still learning how to properly get it to follow and rotate without breaking the bounds of the character or the environment. I decided on tankĀ controls because I Want forward to always be forward no matter which direction you are looking. I hope that makes sense gameplay wise:

Ā 

Anyway, I just figured I'd get that out of the way. I wanna give some praise to the physics of both cloth and tits, they don't clip into the body, and don't seem too over the top, which is surprisingly rare in situations like these. Even big budget games took a while to get it right. Granted, the hair is a little off right now, and when I accidentally fell through the world, everything just broke, naturally. But it's a promising start.

I'm using Magica Cloth for both. It's a great unity tool! And yeah, ive got a few areas not properly walled off, my apologies. Hadn't thought of a reset option, i will add one to the exit menu.

Ā 

Speaking of removing clothes, the shoe removing mechanic sounds interesting, though maybe a little too weighted towards barefoot? I dunno, I like stealth, so being quieter AND faster just sounds outright better than being able to escape grabs faster. Maybe if you go outside in the grass, her bare feet hurt because of stray twigs and stuff, making her walk slower than she would with heels? and since it's grass the heels wouldn't be any louder than her bare feet anyway.

Or maybe you could take a page out of the Saw video games book, where certain areas are covered in sharp glass, making it a horrible idea to walk around in barefoot, but perfectly safe with heels. Maybe most of the enemies are also barefoot, so standing in a glass covered area will make them slow down?

Maybe you could even use them for puzzles? There's two pressure plates, and your shoes just happen to be enough to weigh one down. But when both get pressed, you're separated from them temporarily, making you extra cautious until you can get back to them.

Since you seem to already have plans for finding different outfits, maybe you can find different pairs of shoes too? Maybe some don't cut your run speed, but are even louder than heels... somehow... Maybe the opposite, where they somehow get quieter than bare feet, but move even slower than the heels? I dunno, but there's some potential here, and I like it.

I will definitely keep this in mind. I had already planned a number of heel/based puzzles so more ideas are always good

Ā 

Speaking of outfits, I hope to see some that are clearly just there to be sexy, and wouldn't exactly be a girls first choice. Stuff like a Bath-towel that she has to hold in-front of her, or a skimpy Sling Bikini. Don't let immersion get in the way too much when designing outfits, otherwise they might feel too similar to each other after a while, discouraging players from even bothering putting on anything to begin with. That and since it's technically a horror game, some people might just want to have a silly outfit to help ease off on any possible fear so they can put more focus on being horny.

Ā 

Of course, what I have in mind so far for outfits are:

Skimpy maid outfit
School girl's outfit
Bath Robe
Evening Gown
Probably a few easter egg outfits (Thinking Jennifer's dress from Clock Tower, Ada's Dress from REmake 2)

Ā 

I think that about covers everything I have to say right now. Hope some of it helped. I technically have a few more things to say related to movement and such, but I figured I would wait to see if you were happy with things as they were or not first. Didn't wanna make a big deal when you already planned on changing it all anyway.

Ā 

I am never happy with how things are. There's something about the movement that's bothering me where Keira's head bobs a bit when she walks and its jarring and I Can't figure it out. Please lay into me with feedback Its my first game and I have a lot to work on. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Phelps1247 said:

Try #1...struggling with controls, struggling with camera, go to pink arrow only for nothing to happen, run through a door fall out of the level and have to close the game.

Ā 

Try #2...get upstairs after going to the arrow didn't do anything again, fall through a door to the first floor, door that says 'open' but can't figure out how, remove shoes for some reason, run into giant orbs that don't do anything, find out F is the open button, temporarily get caught on library stairs/floating in midair because instead of walking down them she ran off of them but eventually got done, found a door that opened to a wall even though tilting the camera and see there's a bathroom there, still struggling with controls, developer console was brought up some how, still struggling with camera and eventually once again run through a door fall out of the level and have to close the game.

Ā 

I didn't come across any enemy if there was supposed to be one.

Ā 

Camera and controls are on track to be the top enemies. ?

I forgot about that arrow. It's part of the old interaction system and You'll probably never see it again.

It looks like the Dev console is coming up because I didn't disable interactions when there's nothing to interact with.

Ā 

No enemies yet, just an early test build to give people an idea of movement and the environment.

Thanks for your feedback and happy landingsĀ ?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...