Specular and all

Greetings forum

I've recently decided to start playing fallout 3 again, and now that I have more experience in modding these games, I decided to try my hand at fixing a armor mod that I've downloaded a while back.

The Nanoarmor, I've recreated the following of it and I can't seem to get rid of the awful glossiness no matter what I do.

4096x2048 body and helmet textures

4096x2048 normal maps

4096x2048 glow maps

The problem now comes in, the original creator made so many different textures which serve no point IMO, from my knowledge of oblivion modding and using nifskop to tweak the look, I can't get rid of the glossiness on the suit. (Glass Nanosuit looks horrible.)

On top of that the suit doesn't seem to react with the spec maps that I've made. Correct me if I'm wrong on this but does Fallout 3 texture system work something like this.

Diffuse texture - Alpha channel = Transparency

Normap Map - Alpha Channel = spec map

Glow map - black and white, shadeless effects (glow)

I'd like to get the suits fixed up in regards to the textures assigned, can this be done in nifskope or should I re-import this armor to blender to fix this problem?

Regards

You can do it in NifSkope.

You proabaly just don't want the _g texture.

Other than that, check the NiMaterialProperty Glossiness. Is it more than 10.0? Check the specualar. Is it other than black? (000000)

Check the BSShaderTextureSet. Is there a texture in slot 5? Does it exist?

Those textures seem to be very large by the way. Unless there is detail on them that requires it, it's likely silly. Lots of people seem to think a large texture is inherently 'excellent'. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a 2048x2048 texture that was monocromatic! A texture should only be as large as it needs to be. I have a version of that suit with drastically reduced texture sizes and I saw no difference in game.

You can do it in NifSkope.

You proabaly just don't want the _g texture.

Other than that' date=' check the NiMaterialProperty Glossiness. Is it more than 10.0? Check the specualar. Is it other than black? (000000)

Check the BSShaderTextureSet. Is there a texture in slot 5? Does it exist?

Those textures seem to be very large by the way. Unless there is detail on them that requires it, it's likely silly. Lots of people seem to think a large texture is inherently 'excellent'. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a 2048x2048 texture that was monocromatic! A texture should only be as large as it needs to be. I have a version of that suit with drastically reduced texture sizes and I saw no difference in game.

[/quote']

Will check them out thanks for the help.

The textures have extreme detail, I hate huge textures that blur/pixelate or don't have any detail, these I've made specifically for high resolution, high detail. XD

EDIT: There is 6 slots for textures on the armor, however only the 1st 3 are being used namely,

Diffuse

normal

glow

In that case, removing the glow slot may give you the results you want.

As long as your textures have actual detail that warrants such large textures, that's fine. (It's when they don't and people magically expect them to improve things by being large).

Good luck.

In that case' date=' removing the glow slot may give you the results you want.

As long as your textures have actual detail that warrants such large textures, that's fine. (It's when they don't and people magically expect them to improve things by being large).

Good luck.

[/quote']

Alright thanks for the help, appreciate it. ;)

Archived