Questions getting started mod making

Hi all,

I've tried out a lot of the mods here over the past year or two and really enjoyed them. I even helped fix up some dialogue in a private chat with one of the mod makers, who didn't speak much English (on a different username, since I use my original username elsewhere, and I don't really want that associated with my net profile).  I've got the Creation Kit in a stable place and can open and edit mods directly, but I'm starting to want to make one of my own.

I have a couple of getting-started questions to help me design this thing, if anyone can point me in the right direction. The main idea I have is to create yet another follower mod, one that ties into mods like SLS and its license system, SlaveTats, and potentially main-quest stuff too.  It's partly inspired by the content in Troubles of Heroine.

My only modding experience so far is editing the dialogue views and simple character duplication. I know there are tutorials for some of the basics, but  I'm going to have to dig around in this sandbox to get some of my ideas working, and I'm not sure where to start.

1. What would be the most script-efficient but still immersive way to have the mod check for equipped items and armor?
    1.  I was thinking this could just be handled as a "blocking" dialogue tree that checks for specific equip, but I'd want the follower to "play dress-up" with the PC, so it would need to dynamically check for different pieces depending on the current follower requirements of the PC.
    2. I'm new to scripting but if something can be scripted as a force-greet or a periodic check without adding a ton of script load, I am open to this.  However, at least on my machine, I can only run one big script-heavy mod at a time (have tested with DCL, Slaverun Reloaded, and Deviously Enslaved, I can only get one working at once).
    3. If I set SLS as a master and co-opt its Bikini Curse, would that also work for the same purpose?
    4. Any other/better options I am missing? How do I avoid conflicting with other mods that check for devices, nakedness, etc? (willing to just assume they'll conflict if necessary)
  2. In the same vein, is there a script-efficient way to check for the application of a specific Slavetat? The idea here is that the tat has a specific effect that would only work if it's applied.
  3. What's the best way to have the player be just part of a harem / one of many?
    1. Was thinking of repurposing Paradise Halls as this follower's property, instead of the PC's.  Is that remotely doable?
    2. Is there an easy (again, script-efficient) way to have more than one NPC follow this follower? (Haven't messed with any of the multi follower mods)
  4. Would like to have the player do less of their own talking - how doable is this?
    1. The simplest way I can imagine is to ignore the speaker's name in the reply box, and treat all the topic responses like a conversation between 2 NPCs, but that's a little immersion-breaking
    2. I don't want to make everything a scene since it seems like you can't click to skip dialogue lines on those, and they get a bit boring to sit through
    3. My ideal would be to replace a ton of the standard shopkeeper/greeting dialogue with "please take it up with my master" type stuff. I've got plenty of free time to do this, and I know it'll be tedious, that's fine.
  5. Scenes - is there a good resource to learn how to make these? I'd want to have the mod start with an optional scene and sprinkle some throughout.
  6. Is the player's weight setting an easily-edited variable by the CK / scripts? Not for breast/belly expansion, but for general weight/muscle size. The idea here is, the follower has a particular 'type' he's interested in.

I know this is a huge wall of text, but if anyone with modding experience can throw me some tips or guide me to a thread to read, I'd love the help. I'm sort of floundering on how to design this in a way that will be doable for an ambitious first mod project.

Archived