Save game cleaner app?

Guest Plastrader

Guest Plastrader

Hello

The main reason to why I'm asking this is because, as we all know by now, the mod references stays in the save game file even if we remove the mod in question.

And I'm getting the impression that running a game which constantly spews out errors and warnings about missing content affects performance in a bad way.

So the obvious solution to this would be:

1: Bethesda would change the "load save game" procedure to remove references to mods not enabled in the "data files".

2: An external application that removes them.

I've tried a few Hex editors but they can't read the .ess files properly, i.e. they look like shieeet.

So, anyone who could direct me to such an app?

Thanks in advance.

The closest things i can think that /might/ help could be TESVEdit and WyreBash. Should be able to find both on Nexus.

TESVEdit im not sure if it can deal with saves, i dont think it can, but i dont use it much. Its mainly used to clean mod files of errors.

WyreBash has a save game tab where you can do stuff to them, but im not sure what it allows to be honest, i havent used that section of WyreBash yet. Havent needed to.

Guest Plastrader

TESVEdit or TES5Edit as it was called on nexus couldn't.

Wrye Bash could list the mods of the save game, but not remove them.

Quite odd as he managed to read the file close enough to list them, why not enable the user to delete mods.

Well well, I need to do a clean save when installing mods in the future.

Ty for your answer anyways :)

I suspect this is more to do with the engine then anything.

I've heard a lot about this for a lot of mods.

The old process of Clean saving before uninstalling a mod is very hit and miss now.

In older Gamebryo games (fallout 3, Oblivion, New Vegas) a standard clean save (Make a save, Exit & disable/uninstall mod, enter game, save again) worked well enough to clear out enough of the old mod that it remained a stable save. There were always some remnants of a mod in the save though.

Now in Skyrim, the process is hit and miss, the remnants of a mod will always be in the save, but the remaining "clean save" may or may not be very clean for stability. Heavily scripted mods tend to be more corrupting of saves then others when you remove a mod.

In the end its always a good idea to keep a "Base" save with few or very few mods (ones that you know you will ALWAYS be using.. SkyUI is one i can always count on having so i have no fear of wanting to ever remove that one)

And periodicly save as you go.

If you have a new mod you want to try out, make a solid save before you install it so that if you want to backup and uninstall the mod, you can revert back to that save that was never touched by the mod.

Wrye Bash could list the mods of the save game' date=' but not remove them.

Quite odd as he managed to read the file close enough to list them, why not enable the user to delete mods.

[/quote']

well in fact wrye bash has an option to remove active mods on a save, something like a default/initial state. its on a beta stage and i have never tryed but, who knows?

it doesn come with wrye bash, its a plugin that you could find in the web, not sure where but i saw it some time ago.

Wrye Bash could list the mods of the save game' date=' but not remove them.

[/quote']

well in fact wrye bash has an option to remove active mods on a save, something like a default/initial state. its on a beta stage and i have never tryed but, who knows?

it doesn come with wrye bash, its a plugin that you could find in the web, not sure where but i saw it some time ago.

Maybe you can give us a link to this plugin ? Can't find it online.

sorry, i really cant find it as i saw the images in a japan/thailand/korean page (dont know exactly)

but as far as i know, removing the scripts you are not using and waiting for about 31 days game time cleaned most of the save. atleast worked for me once.

Guest Plastrader

I've also found out that save games does not only store what mods are used but also global variables added by mods using scripts, which ofc makes sense.

Example if the game didn't save those variables:

Mod adding a global variable for counting the number of times you killed your follower because he/she ran into your line of fire.

Then if you load the mod next time that counter would be 0...

So its a hard task and something that needs to be changed on a fundamental level...

All stuff added or modified by a mod is stored in the .esp/.esm so I guess Bethesda could code a plugin for the CK to install/uninstall mods.

(Sorry about my wall of text)

I appreciate the suggestions, but for now I'll settle for aEuonym recommendations.

I can confirm that Polluxval said was true, yesterday I got random ctd frequently everytime i wanna go to outdoor, I disabled all mods still I got that problem, I got stressed and saw this thread.

Then I disabled all the mods, and wait for 31 days in game, made a new slot save game, quit and load again, and yay!...no more random ctd for me, I don't know if this works for you guys, but it might, at least it's works for me.

Thank you for t_727 for created this thread and special thanks for polluxval for resolving my problem.

Archived