basic skins, skin-overlays/ face mask?

Could someone please explain the difference between skins and skin overlays and facemask. I like to use the face mask that make their face look better. I never used these before when I played sims 2 or 3. Now in Sims 4 they are everywhere. I am worried I am going to run into problems and not know how to fix it. I also do not want them to mess up my Wild-guy body parts for my females. Please explain like you are telling a child with as much detail as possible. Thanks so much to anyone willing to clear this up for me. Surely I am not the only one that gets confused with this stuff. Thanks so Much for your time for helping! 

All cautions welcomed too!

Not sure if this is all 100% correct but from what I've learned and seen, it's that;

- Skins: There are two things it depends on which one you mean but skin tones and skins that are default replacements (DR) replace or add on to the skin tones provided by EA, it's before you click into "skin details",

other skins can also be found in the "skin details" section where you can just choose a color from the skin and apply it on top of the original skin found in the skin tone section beforehand, with these skins the skin tone of your sim doesn't affect the color of it. (for example, a sim may be blue before putting a skin on but after it is brown due to the color of the skin that you have chosen, and typically there is a range of color options you can choose from)

- Skin Overlays: These are found in the "Skin details" section, like the second skin i mentioned above, it can be added on top of the skin tone but this time the skin tone of your sim affects the outcome of the color of the skin overlay, it is almost like a transparent sheet with the details of the overlay being added yet not the skin color. (for example, your sim is green and once the skin overlay is added your sim is still green but with the details of the overlay like pores, eye bags, ribs, abs etc)

- Face masks: These are just skins that affect the face of your sim, some of them are "transparent" like skin overlays and some add color like skins depending on which one you choose,

None of these should cause any issues with wild guys body parts especially the face masks as it only affects your sim's face, the worst thing that should happen is that the nipple of your skin (overlay) doesn't match up to the nipple of your sim but it doesn't cause any issues in game other than a funky looking double nipple.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit messy and hard to understand as English isn't my first language, hope you figure everything out :)

Also if you have any issues with facemasks -which you shouldn't anyway but in case- just delete the file and you're good.

55 minutes ago, frozenhellfire said:

Not sure if this is all 100% correct but from what I've learned and seen, it's that;

- Skins: There are two things it depends on which one you mean but skin tones and skins that are default replacements (DR) replace or add on to the skin tones provided by EA, it's before you click into "skin details",

other skins can also be found in the "skin details" section where you can just choose a color from the skin and apply it on top of the original skin found in the skin tone section beforehand, with these skins the skin tone of your sim doesn't affect the color of it. (for example, a sim may be blue before putting a skin on but after it is brown due to the color of the skin that you have chosen, and typically there is a range of color options you can choose from)

- Skin Overlays: These are found in the "Skin details" section, like the second skin i mentioned above, it can be added on top of the skin tone but this time the skin tone of your sim affects the outcome of the color of the skin overlay, it is almost like a transparent sheet with the details of the overlay being added yet not the skin color. (for example, your sim is green and once the skin overlay is added your sim is still green but with the details of the overlay like pores, eye bags, ribs, abs etc)

- Face masks: These are just skins that affect the face of your sim, some of them are "transparent" like skin overlays and some add color like skins depending on which one you choose,

None of these should cause any issues with wild guys body parts especially the face masks as it only affects your sim's face, the worst thing that should happen is that the nipple of your skin (overlay) doesn't match up to the nipple of your sim but it doesn't cause any issues in game other than a funky looking double nipple.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit messy and hard to understand as English isn't my first language, hope you figure everything out :)

Also if you have any issues with facemasks -which you shouldn't anyway but in case- just delete the file and you're good.

No this is perfect! I was worried I was getting in too deep. LOL. Sounds like it really isn't a problem. Thanks so much for your time and help! So kind of you!

Archived