Router/modem port forwarding help...

deathparade

I have a modem where the telephone line comes in and spreads it out to house phone and the router.

The router serves a bunch of Pc's wireless and 2 over a cable.

I can port forward in the router itself but whenever i try open a port in the modem TO the router the modem just craps out and has to be reset to regain internet..

Should i get a new modem or is there a way around this?

I wanna run a Team Fortress Classic server again ._.

Fumbling my buttons today, didn't mean to 'thank' you, that would have been stupid of me.

You haven't really given enough information nor told us what you are trying to do, but it sounds like your router is working correctly. You turn on a DMZ with no exceptions so you get no inside-outside comms.

If you don't know what you are trying to accomplish, just leave the DMZ turned off. If you don't have anything (like a webserver) to place in one, you don't need it.

Short answer? In 70-80% of all cases, when a modem craps out on a "open port to" it's the router doing it, because it's getting a bad RFC command. Modem's usually play nicely and properly adhere to the RFC standards, routers not so much. I'll let you figure it out on your own. Just because something is new, doesn't mean it works properly.

Well it started with our old router which later burned out because in the summer it gets really hot in the loft! (i have no idea if that word is right YAY Google translate) and we got a new one... The Modem is just so shit that it blows out even if you are doing nothing!

Archived