Blacklight Retribution (F2P FPS, First Impressions)

Queen Bee

On a whim, I got this game from Steam and gave it a whirl for a couple days. I have to say, for a free to play FPS, it's pretty good. It does get a bit "pay to win", but there's ways they level the playing field by giving you access to the same advanced weapons and armor upgrades by spending GP you earn through kills and won matches. Even better, you can buy these upgrades in the middle of a match. Sure it only lasts for that match, but you buy them at a reduced rate. Also, everyone gets HRV, a three second infrared vision with a cooldown that allows you to see where everyone is. This can turn the tide when you know they're waiting for you right around the corner. Of course, they might know where you are, too, but that's what I love about it.

I'm reserving full judgment until I get a bit further into it, but first impressions are positive, and this comes from a woman who doesn't normally like FPS PVP.

My frame rate is pretty good, though something weird I've noticed is occasionally things will sort of pixelate and refresh. It's not like it does with Skyrim, where things at a distance have lower textures until you get close, but more like things filling in more. I dunno, it's weird.

Second impressions are still good. I have earned enough GP for a permanent gun upgrade, and I'm really getting the hang of it. I've been a Major Threat and Team Warlord several times, and I just love seeing them through my HRV and popping them as they blunder around the corner. Of course, I get got my fair share as well, but hey, that's FPS PVP. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug.

Got a tip for ya. Don't buy permanent weapon upgrades until you are 35 ;). Just safe up for the high end mods, otherwise you just throw away your hard earned GPs.

Oh and try to get the SMG or Burst Rifle as a permanent weapon unlock. These are the best weapons atm.

Archived