Followers Become Unselectable

tinkerbelle

I've been having a problem with my followers becoming unselectable after a bit of gameplay.  I've searched for some kind of solution but nothing has shown up.  I will say that searching this forum is rather problematic.

I use EFF (Extensible Follower Framework) V04.00.02 but I have seen the same problem when followers are setup through Paradise Halls Enhanced.  I can play for a while with the follower(s) and afer a while they are there, they still follow, but the Hud doesn't show their name when the cursor is over them.  Since I can't select them, I can't give orders or even release them.  When I've used  something from "Mod Configuration" to release them, they remain unselectable throughout the game when I've later encountered them.

I used to use UFO (Ultimate Follower Overhaul), but after encountering problems I switched to EFF which seemed to run fine for some time.  I've started a new game and it still happens.  This happens with generic NPCs, like bandits, named NPCs like Immersive Wenches and it happened with Lydia a few times.  I've tried "enable" in the console  but that did nothing.

I can 'see' a unselectable follower in the console and their refid hasn't changed.  If there is a command to make them selectable again, I'd appreciate it.

I'd attach a papyrus log and a load order, but a) I've turned off most logging to reduce lag B) I use MO and I never can remember where to find my load order and c) I'm lazy.  But ask and I'll dig them up.

tinkerbelle

searching this forum is rather problematic.

You can say that again.  :D

they still follow, but the Hud doesn't show their name when the cursor is over them.  [---] This happens with generic NPCs, like bandits, named NPCs like Immersive Wenches

So it's not a follower thing, is it? I mean, it is obviously important for you to be able to talk to your followers and you probably don't care so much if you can talk to the bandits, but the error seems to not originate from a follower mod.

Do you use LOOT?

I never can remember where to find my load order and c) I'm lazy.  But ask and I'll dig them up.

Unfortunately, the real experts in this forum seem to be very displeased when people ask for technical assistance and don't post all the information that is required.

they still follow, but the Hud doesn't show their name when the cursor is over them.  [---] This happens with generic NPCs, like bandits, named NPCs like Immersive Wenches

So it's not a follower thing, is it? I mean, it is obviously important for you to be able to talk to your followers and you probably don't care so much if you can talk to the bandits, but the error seems to not originate from a follower mod.

Do you use LOOT?

I never can remember where to find my load order and c) I'm lazy.  But ask and I'll dig them up.

Unfortunately, the real experts in this forum seem to be very displeased when people ask for technical assistance and don't post all the information that is required.

Thank you for replying.  :)

I believe it is a follower thing since I believe Pahe slaves are basically followers with Pahe scripting.  But since Pahe is having the same problem as EFF, I'd imagine that it's not an EFF problem.  I asked in this forum since I didn't know which mod might be causing the problem.

Mod Organizer comes with a version of LOOT built-in, but I use the "run executable" to run the latest LOOT.  I run FINIS 6.3 XXL as well.

I was hoping someone would say, "Oh yah, I had this problem and this is what I found ...".   I'll start digging around to see what I need to do to re-enable papyrus logging and get the mod list.  MO saves the list somewhere ...

tinkerbelle

The cause of this problem is probably due to removal of mods with scripts mid-game.

The fix is to use Jasonx Renamer to give it a name.

Happy modding

Thank you Freddark.  I downloaded Jaxonz Renamer  and it allowed me to rename the unselectable characters.  I had to use the console to "point" to the unselectable character and then Jaxonz Renamer could rename them.  In a couple of instances I had to do that a second or third time later on when they became unselectable again.

Wolborg:  Freddark is referring to renaming the unselectable characters.  Pahe has the ability to "rename" a current slave, but I suspect the renaming in Pahe is only "skin deep", so to speak.  The Jaxonz Renamer renames at a different level or somesuch.  I have to be careful how much I delve into coding or the game becomes bits and algorithms to me.  Sort of spoils the fun.

I use Consumer Content's alternate starts and I heard that saving in the abandoned prison wasn't considered a true new game but I haven't had problems before.  Maybe it was this or some upgrade of a mod I did in a lazy fashion.  I hate starting a really new game because I make a lot of changes to values in the MCM and it takes a longgggggg time to make it my way.  Plus I forget what key bindings I've assigned, values, etc.

Thanks for the help.

tinkerbelle

Edit:  I got around to making a new game and all the MCM changes I make, but followers still become unselectable.  One thing is that Pahe now seems to allow me to rename characters so I can select them again.  At least it's a bit quicker than having to console select them and then using Jaxonz Renamer.

tinkerbelle

Archived