Mod Manager of Choice for SSE?

Baloo Ice

Should try Wrye Bash, but after a few years of MO, I'm hesitant to fill the data directory with a tangled web of modding madness... it always leads to a complete re-install of the game. Took only a few days using NMM for my first SE re-install.

IMO, Wrye Bash is second best option after MO - it has it's rules, especially considering proper install package structure and way, how it does handle optional folders, but still...

With one rightclick (well, right-click and choose the proper option, but anyway...) you can completely clean the Data folder and start from the scratch. The installation order is, like MO, based on the way it is listed, not the order you have activated the mods (which I always hated in NMM). have you shuffeled the packages up and down? "Aneal all" reinstalls the overwritten files in exactly the order it should.

Basically the difference is, Wrye Bash installs into Data folder, while MO has the virtual folders - but the result is the same. Plus, there is the Bashed Patch...

@ J.O.D, I agree that Wrye Bash is second only to original MO. I remember now, I did use WB several years back and trying again last night, I discovered why I abandoned it (and why it has poor popularity) -- yep, the install limitations and package structure requirements. I'm surprised Bain hasn't been updated to handle all these new, varied and relevant install structures. Add two things to WB and it would be the top installer. Particularly for dedicated modders.

Virtual File Structure

Broad Install Compatibility

My guess NMO, once released, will do everything WB does with all of MO's modern features. 

In the meantime, I'll have to study up again on how to convert all those installers to Bain compatibility. Or, try MO2 workarounds.. 

The thing is, Wrye Bash did never target for popularity, more likely for power users, who are not afraid to unpack/repack/configure their mods. Afterall, BAIN was never Wrye's wanted child - he did BAIN because other were pestering him for too long. The current small team has more important things then to further develop BAIN, like Bash Patch and refactoring all the code, IIRC.

That said, I am definitely willing give NeMO a try when it comes out.

EDIT: Also, e.g. Oblivion took advantage of BAIN on a much larger scale (probably because there was no MO and NMM).

Unpack/repack/configure isn't viable currently with many mods updating to new versions 2 times or more in a day. Once the dust settles, and mods have matured, WB will be the power users default mod handler. Wonder if there is an app available, to re-organize for BAIN install requirements. One extra layer wouldn't be so bad, particularly because WB is really the fullest featured installer available (install to MO, then drag-n-drop into Bain, lol). Though MO outpaced everything due to a few very unique features. Features that WB would benefit dramatically from. 

Ultimately? Would be nice to have two highly competitive installers, similar to modders and game development -- pinching each others ideas and improving on them. 

When I started modding few years ago I started with nmm until I broke my game. Then I tried mo and after 5 minutes I was like OMFG WHY I EVER USED NMM LOOK AT THIS BEAUTUFUL MO WITH ALL ITS FEATURES. Nmm is paint compared to mo which is like photoshop. I'm sorry for the people who put hard work in nmm because it's just pain in the ass crap delete from internet lol. I hope tannin will kick their assets to make nmm nice again! This shouldn't be a offense to nmm users btw

Yeah, I got MO2 running really well last night, with help from thread here in this forum. Tonight I'm going to set up Wrye Bash to begin modding some ideas I have, as MO2 will allow me to play SE fully modded 'virtually'; while Wrye Bash will only add/remove the mod(s) I'm developing.

Win-Win. 

Got about 15 or so mods installed via NMM and it seems to be working fine, just if you use NMM (which I recommend, makes downloading and installing from Nexus easier) just be careful, it can freak out occasionally but as a whole, I have never had major issues with it. (I just sort the load order out elsewhere then correct it in NMM) 

Are the people using mod organizer not having the same issue I did?

I could add the mods and load the game, but the ESP load order in mod organizer was completely ignored by the game. To the point, I'd change the load order, run the game, and it would be rearranged in mod organizer.

I ended up going to NMM, but I miss being able to control file overwrites effectively.

I might give why're bash a go.

Got about 15 or so mods installed via NMM and it seems to be working fine, just if you use NMM (which I recommend, makes downloading and installing from Nexus easier) just be careful, it can freak out occasionally but as a whole, I have never had major issues with it. (I just sort the load order out elsewhere then correct it in NMM) 

NMM maybe freaking out occasionally is something that should really be expected as it's still technically in its BETA stage, though it's fairly stable even for a beta program.

Wrye Bash for now, waiting for TesModManager (continuation of OBMM) to be ported to SSE.

Wrye Bash (Mash/Bain) seems to handle conflicts quite well (better than I expected after reading the README), but nearly every fomod-based mod needs to be repacked. A pain for mods like SMIM or XP32. No fomod support is a no-go. Too bad it is not really developed. TMM is much more mature as a mod manager.

MO2 is out of the question, don't want to mess around with a virtual filesystem.

I run LOOT always separately. Will have to read if WB is making cleaning somewhat easier with SSEEdit in the correct place.

Though code of TMM is available (and free) there is so far no repository. IMO a good idea and time to start one now.

In my humble opinion, NMM is a real letdown. Adding more than one mod often results in freezes/hang-ups even on powerful machines. Installing/Uninstalling mods larger than 50mb is a chore and takes unreasonable amount of time compared to the swift execution of the same task in MO. Even at this point, Mod Organizer 2 (Beta 3) with the unofficial plugins is a much better alternative. I would use Wrye bash more often if it features better mod installation system instead of messy installers/BAINs, etc.

When I started modding few years ago I started with nmm until I broke my game. Then I tried mo and after 5 minutes I was like OMFG WHY I EVER USED NMM LOOK AT THIS BEAUTUFUL MO WITH ALL ITS FEATURES. Nmm is paint compared to mo which is like photoshop. I'm sorry for the people who put hard work in nmm because it's just pain in the ass crap delete from internet lol. I hope tannin will kick their assets to make nmm nice again! This shouldn't be a offense to nmm users btw

Tannin is doing NMM.  He won't be doing MO unless someone else is doing it.

What? MO's author is working on that NMM garbage? WHY on earth?

I suggest you actually read before posting screams like this: Tannin is now a full-time payed developer for a new, coded from scratch, mod manager for Nexus sites. So no, he is not working on NMM.

Tannin is doing NMM.  He won't be doing MO unless someone else is doing it.

What? MO's author is working on that NMM garbage? WHY on earth?

I manually install everything and then use Wyre Bash to make bashed patch.

I don't know how anyone can use NMM and not merge mods with Wyre Bash instead, Saves on amount of .esp loaded and makes mods play better with each other.

I've always used NMM and it's always worked fine for me. It also makes it 100 times easier installing and uninstalling mods from the Nexus.

I would say that is not the case. With NMM the files are put into shared folders f.ex meshes and textures that all other coresponding mods make their home aswell. If you donload a mod that has a file with the same name as one allready installed you will overwrite that file with the new one and that can casue your save to not work properly as it is missing a file it had earlier. With Mod Organizer however every mod gets its own folder where its files are. Your load-order will then determine wich file from wich mod is in use and they are all kept safe. 

If you want to delete something from MO you just select the mod you installed and press DELETE, as you would with any other mod.

Cheers!

I would never use NMM, it doesn't have the VFS that made MO my mod manager of choice. That, and you can't delete the installer archives from NMM without the mods too, which would force me to waste several tens of gigabytes of space for nothing. NMM is trash.

Yeah will not start modding until there is a Mod Manager with VFS.

I use NMM but I despise how much longer it takes to unzip anything bigger than 100meg compared to anything else.

does wrye bash have this problem?

I did not notice a different in speed on installing SMIM und unpacking SMIM (~800MB for 2.0.3).

Wry Bash however has been pulled on the SE page (not hidden, but deleted). The only issue I'm aware of is that FOMODs are not supported (which can be painful to repack for mods like SMIM). I have one issue in my game but I suppose it is caused by one of the mods. I will need to do some specific tests to make sure it is no BAIN problem. So far I did not (need to) create Bashed Patches.

Well, BAIN is actually doing just that - it unpacks the archive - and then moves the data into the Data Folder. Also, you don't have to repack SMIM, just choose whatever sub packages you want to install. Alas, you have to reselect the packages with every new version of SMIM, but it takes like one minute of your time. Wrye Bash should be coming back to Nexus on Sunday (beta). FOMODs are problem, not because of not being supported (which is true), but especially because FOMODs can have structure of folders that is not compatible with BAIN - it doesn't have to (like SMIM, working with BAIN immediately), but in most cases you have to repackage.

Still, second best mod manager after MO.

I use NMM but I despise how much longer it takes to unzip anything bigger than 100meg compared to anything else.

does wrye bash have this problem?

I did not notice a different in speed on installing SMIM und unpacking SMIM (~800MB for 2.0.3).

Wry Bash however has been pulled on the SE page (not hidden, but deleted). The only issue I'm aware of is that FOMODs are not supported (which can be painful to repack for mods like SMIM). I have one issue in my game but I suppose it is caused by one of the mods. I will need to do some specific tests to make sure it is no BAIN problem. So far I did not (need to) create Bashed Patches.

Archived