[OBSE][STEAM][Windows7x64] OBSE doesn't detect the version of the game

Xannn

Hi there all,

I'm having an small problem starting the game after a long time. OBSE seems to not detect the game version, but I didn't touch anything since I last played.

I suspect it was a virus infection which, even if the antivirus fixed all the files, maybe oblivion.exe got corrupted internally, since last modification of the file was on 2015, and I didn't touch it since 2013.

It could be that Steam updated the game since then, but seeing that people is still using obse 1.2, that seems, the odds for that are very few.

That's why I would ask humbly if any caritative soul could upload an untouched steam's oblivion.exe to test if it works (I would check the files on steam, but my game was modded and I just want a clean install as last resort option).

In any case, here's the exact error I'm getting, in case there's another solution I could try.

dGvSjcu.pngpost-176576-0-15687000-1468408679_thumb.png

Thanks in advance :)

-Image doesn't load. Not that it would have mattered, but thought I'd mention it.

-Base game files will *never* be provided on the open forums. It goes against forum rules.

-You're better off backing up your data folder, and then checking with steam.

obse 1.2 ?   You need OBSE 20 or 21  ( and Oblivion_v1.2.0416 )

Where have you installed Oblivion ? Hope not in C:\program files(86)

Some steam tips: read my yellow Link below

Edit: Image works, for me.

@Vaelorian: The image is online, but it seems the hoster blocked this site (not new news sadly), copying the link on a new tab should display it correctly. In any case I will attach it to the post for future reference.

@Fejeena: I meant the OBSE for the 1.2.0416 version of Oblivion, said that using the .dll (obse_1_2_416.dll) as reference for it, sorry for the missunderstanding.

The game was never uninstalled/modified since I last played it, so it's not an installation problem. For sake of information, it is installed on a secondary partition, but it the same place as Steam is installed (I saw that other people had problems when the game was installed on another folder than the steam main one).

Vaelorian gave me a tip, as I recall now, when I followed Razarkis' Guide I did a backup, and replacing the .exe files that were modified on 2015 for the ones in the backup solved the issue (the game launchs, I still have to get in-game, I will update when I try).

Offending files were Oblivion.exe, OblivionLauncher.exe and obse_loader.exe, just for historic pruposes.

And in all, thanks for the fast response it was helpful and appreciated :).

I also saw that there are new versions for the mods I had, but since I almost forgot compatibilities issues and how to redo bashed patchs, I'm not sure if I should update.

Again, thanks for the hard work you guys are doing here, it means a lot.

Edit: The game runs fine in-game too, so if I can get some advice about updating or not the mods, I can put this is as solved (Most mods are from June/July 2013, so I would need to update from that).

Archived