Papyrus Data Transfer

Pronema

Alright, I have recently been having stability issues with Skyrim crashing a lot and thought I should share what I have learned.  

I recently came across a tool called Papyrus Data Transfer that searches for orphaned scripts, this does more than SKSE's logging and other tools such as the save cleaner.  I tested it out myself and found that a number of bugs that I had thought were minor inconveniences, usually breaking immersion, such as being able to walk around in 3rd person while wearing devious device blindfolds, or accessing the item menu even when wearing an armbinder were solved once this ran, apparently I had some orphaned scripts from older versions of mods on the nexus like Frostfall 2.4 and old versions of Convenient Horses, and Midas that had not returned control to the game.

Although, these scripts don't harm the game in any way, as orphaned scripts rarely cause game instability, they can have strange adverse effects.  After all, they cannot call functions that do not exist and if your save game starts with orphaned scripts then it will run with the orphaned scripts just fine.  What they do consistently cause is locked functions, the game has turned over control to a script and the script never gave the control back.  Hence bugs like the ones I described above or things like Aela never showing up to the Skyforge Funeral, or Farkas and Aela not showing up for induction into the Circle, both caused by Nature of the Beast II.

Now I would suggest backing up your save first but there isn't much you can lose by trying this.  Just search for it on google to get the nexus link for the new GUI version.

Archived