Anyone table-top roleplay, or used too...and whats your favorites?

merctime

I used to table-top roleplay a ton back in the days (yes I am a nerdy guy lol).  My personal favorites where Cyberpunk (which I gm'd), the Robotech RPG (palladium got out of hand with numbers and megadamage in my opinion, but it was Robotech so I had to play it), and DnD 2nd edition.  Now, my favorites to mess around with (mostly rolling characters, and writing small scenarios as I don't know many RP'ers anymore) are Rolemaster (DAMN I wish I got into this system back in the days!!!), and the unfortunately out-of-print Conan d20-ish rpg from mongoose publishing.  Not terribly fond of the new generation of DnD at all, but that's just a personal preferrance and not meant as a flame.  Anyone else enjoyed these kinds of Book 'n Dice games also?  Any favorite games or cool/funny memories of them?

Oh, far too many, but in no particular order:-

GURPS

Tekumel (just superb fantasy setting)

Witchcraft

Vampire

Armageddon

Cyberpunk

Paranoia

Whispering Vault

RuneQuest

D&D (The old white box edition)

Stormbringer

Traveler

2300AD

Space 1889

etc.

Cyberpunk quickly became a favorite of my gaming group in High school....we really had a great time role playing different personalities and in my own RPG history, it is where I had the most fleshed-out and 'alive-feeling' NPC's.  There were many a time that during a course of an evening's role-play, that I would ask a few of the players who weren't directly involved in the action at the time (as my crew, who I think were great role players, often were able to move they're characters all over with some doing this over hear, and some doing that over there, and did it well...) to actually jump in and assist role playing certain NPC's.  In the case of NPC's that everyone was very familiar with, they could just jump in and 'play' that character (from an acting standpoint, I still handled all rolling etc) with no problems after a while.  My idea was, if we're going to split the team, no sense in letting a few folks get bored.  It was pretty fun, and fit with my (basically) free form style of GMing....it was really interesting to see what the players brought to the table in terms of allowing them to for the most part GM that part of the session as that particular NPC.  We had so much fun with that, and everyone loved it.  Of course, If something really ridiculous was done (like, really messing up a storyline or going way out of character for that NPC) I'd step in and we'd all talk about it and correct it.  There was even a time, directly after a huge combat in the combat zone between the PC's, various gangs, and the NCPD, that we spent the rest of the evening with the Players not even playing thier PC's that night and just completely handling the NCPD personnel (NPC's of course) work in resolving that particular combats after affects in the precint.  They basically took up the roles of various NCPD cops and filed papers, made calls to local officials, tracked down informants, and actually played an evening AGAINST they're own characters....seeking out their hiding spots and trying to track them down as well as the offending gangsters.  Everyone had a blast. 

Yeah I have played a bunch of systems read a bunch more.

Currently playing these

Savage Worlds, a handful of home brewed settings plus some of there printed but Deadlands is the one we play most right now.

nWoD: Mage (which I am running)

My favorite games/systems

Call of Cthulhu

Earthdawn

Riddle of Steel

I dabbled in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay recently - Second edition, for the alterations they made to turn it into what it was now...they just seemed rather odd.

I'm also in the process of running a game of a PnP RPG that I'm creating/altering as I go along, though one of my three players isn't available much, which puts a large dent in the amount of time we could be playing.

I actually RP a shit-ton over IRC, what with the gaming community where I live being me and the most grognard neckbeards since the halfling futa incident(I wasn't involved, but a friend was...)

I started on DnD 3.5 and have switched to Pathfinder, but I'm fluent in the Warhammer systems, Mutants and Masterminds, WoD, and I've been reading up on All Flesh Must Be Eaten. I currently am running two PF campaigns, one Dark Heresy, and a Mutants & Masterminds game, all in homebrewed settings of my design.

If you ever want a game over IRC, I'm usually available for starting a game or opening in slot in an existing one.

I played a lot of 2ed and 3ed Dungeons and Dragons, and I've played a various number of Whitewolf settings in the Exalted and WoD systems.

Right now I'm running a Planescape game, but using Whitewolf's storyteller rules. A cross-over of our world during the settlement of the  (what is now) Canadian West shortly after the Hudson Bay Company sold the land to the British. Basically various planar factions have gotten themselves involved in the geopolitics of North America. I use various aspects of Hunter, Changeling, Mage, and of Exalted.

After that's done I'll probably dust off my Undermountain box sets for some classic dungeon delving. Second edition version naturally, but likely converted to 3E.

• 2 weeks later...

I dabbled in the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" waaaay back in the 80's when it was a D&D version.

Led to an interesting experience later in my teenage years...

But first a small preface...

Now I grew up in one of the rough sections of the Bronx, Ny. People constantly checked out for stupid mundane things like looking at someone else wrong or mistaken identity.

So...I'm 18 and sitting in Dunkin Donuts one morning thinking how awesome it is that I can have a nice quiet breakfast in my favorite place without anyone else around causing trouble  and enjoy my morning before my skating comp later that afternoon.

I'm sitting there eating and enjoying myself when two white young men in trenchcoats, terminator shades, briefcases and mean faces show up at both of the exits for the small restaurant. Immediately, I'm thinking "Oh crap...this is some mafia crap and I'm sitting in the middle of it!!"  :o:( The two trenchcoat-mafia guys are staring at each other like they've been enemies for years when they both open the doors at the same time and come in. The guy behind the counter and me are looking at each other like "Are you gonna run? Cause I'm about to!

The two trenchcoat-mafia guys walk up to each other growling and getting in each other's faces and shoving each other with their briefcases and start yelling at each other. At this point I had grabbed my sandwich and left my coffee and started inching my way towards the door closest to me. The two trenchcoat-mafia guys walk over to the larger table in the restaurant while yelling at each other and *BAM*...*BAM*

I hit the floor. Dropped my sandwich all over the place and screaming like a nut started belly-crawling the rest of the way to the door while looking back to see what was going on.

The two trenchcoat-mafia guys must have slammed their briefcases down on the table ultra-hard (thats what made the shot sounds) and were opening them up and slamming down cards while yelling something at each other. In my panic I was still curious enough to find out what the hell was going on and the guy behind the counter had long gone into the backroom and I'm guessing out the back door. I got up from the floor and watched them for a few seconds yelling at each other about these dang cards and what they were doing. From looking at the cards from a distance they looked like tarot cards or something. Either way, I got the hell outta there before they pulled uzis out of those briefcases.

When I got home and asked around, I found out that they were playing a "Magic: The Gathering" Card game.

::)

I never went back to that Dunkin Donuts.

Dm

;D  Great story Detman102.  Ah the sights and sounds 80's gaming halls..... 6 thousand geeks playing D&D, 3 thousand of which were playing Drizzt Do'Urden.... the aroma of Stridex, Mountain Dew, and pencil sharpener shavings... and the heavy hint of desperation that a nerdy chick, or a non nerdy one who just took a wrong turn, would come in the door.

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing 1st ed D&D back in the early 80's damn I'm old. I have played Rolemaster, Travaler, GURPS, 2nd, 3rd and 3.5 D&D, Warhammer FRPG, Deadlands and Savage World. I haven't played it yet but I been reading the Pathfinder stuff and I really like it.

We used to play Vampire, with a group of 6 GM and for the highest score, about 20 players.

Prophecy, a french RPG game, took us on several adventures.

And Also:

Dead Lands

COPS

Kindred of the East

Werewolf

INS/MV

BAAL (a custom one from afriend)

Star Wars (before and after D20 system)

Nightprowlers

GURPS

Fading suns

Some Warhammer RPG in the first days.

Now, everyone is scatered around the contry, and is is very difficult for my wife to understand this WE I'm off playing "kids games" with friends...

We manage to play one or two times  a year, but differently. No 24h non stop game, but a game within 2 days. The "one shot game", based on janken and role play, enable us to play and do other things in the mean time. Generaly, one of the guest is the master, with a story to tell. I plan to do something in the oblivion world next time (based on the thief guild or the dark brother Hood, the story line is interesting for non computer based RPG ;D).

I've steadily gamed in one way or another for the last 22 years when I picked up my first d20 when I was 14 or so. I started with the basic D&D Red Box then moved on to Revised, and I was quick to collect as many of the 1st ed book as I could get at the time. Since then I've played Vampire, Star Wars (d6), Top Secret, GURPS and Gamma World. My primary games remain to this day D&D 3.5 and BattleTech Classic. I run games as often as time allows, but at elast with my D&D group we are all sort of scattered across teh country now. My current roommate and I do get some Battletech going on occasion though, again, as time permits.

Archived