Fix for infinite load screens AND GREATLY DECREASE CTDs

Guest Vendayn

Guest Vendayn

FOR THOSE WITH INFINITE LOAD SCREENS and random CTDs...I FOUND A FIX :D...and that was caps of excitement not rage or screaming :P

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/945533-skyrim-infinite-loading-screen/

Look at post 3. That fixed it for me. That even fixed my random ctds I had in the world. That in fact fixed 90% of my ctds. Not just load screens but fixed the entire game lol. Just doing that fixed nearly all my problems I had with Skyrim.

Just make sure to save in interiors. Doesn't help if you save in exteriors and get infinite load screens when trying to load the save :P

For those that can't access the site...or don't want to click the link

(quoted from post #3 on that thread)

ok so this is definitly the solution for the infinite loading screen i have make 10 test with this tips and when i make the full turn of the map the game load if i don't make this the game won't load so i guess the map is the problem.

i recommand to add this line in the skyrim.ini because with this you can make a 360 degres with your mouse:

[MapMenu]

fMapWorldYawRange=3600.0000

if you don't have [MapMenu] you can add this at the end of the file, here is my [MapMenu] just for people that want it:

[MapMenu]
sMapCloudNIF=0
bWorldMapNoSkyDepthBlur=1
fWorldMapNearDepthBlurScale=0
fWorldMapDepthBlurScale=0
fWorldMapMaximumDepthBlur=0
fMapWorldYawRange=3600.0000
fMapWorldMaxHeight=130000.0000
fMapWorldMinHeight=5000.0000

Sometimes the Windows may be the bad guy too. If your Windows is not properly configured you may get not only inifinte loading screens but, because the game does not "react" in able time, Windows may consider it as a not responding program.

To prevent this open the Windows Registry Editor by typing regedit in Start Menu search bar or in Run command dialog box (if you still using it).

After that navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and fin the option HungAppTimeout.

If this entry is missing, click with right button in a blank space and select New > String and give this name to this new entry.

Double click on it and set a high value, close Registry Editor and restart your PC.

My entry is defined as 30000, which means only after 30 seconds an application will be considered as not responding.

Guest Vendayn

that setting gave me an infinite loadscreen after I started up the game and tried to exit Breezehome.  Removed the setting afterwards and it loaded in 4 seconds.

So it definitely doesn't work for everyone.

Were you getting one before? Maybe this only works for people who already have the problem.

And yeah (to D_Mans post), I heard of that 3.1 GB ram limit. That is probably what is going on, but seems solved (for me) with doing those settings. Plus gets rid of a lot of CTDs. Which probably has to do with the same ram limit.

Been hearing about the 3.1 gig limit, currently I'm running 244 mods and 4k textures and haven't seen it, and as for the infinite loading screens it's a Lod issue, I use Flora overhaul and the tree Lod texture was the problem due to the size, but those are limitations of the engine itself. 

• 1 month later...

Vendayn you sir have saved me.

I've been plauged by seemingly random freezes for a while now and nothing seemed to help.

These freezes only happened in specific locations and only when approached from a specific direction.

I re-installed mods, double and triple checked in Tes5edit for conflicts, painstakingly tested various load-orders,

researched crashes online, tested scripts, de-bugged ENB configs, EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN FOR A WEEK!

I never would have guessed that a map setting was at fault. A FUCKING MAP INI TWEAK! Goddamn this is why I could

never work with computers professionally. How was I supposed to stumble upon this on my own. The day Persa-coms

get invented I'm shipping you a neko-mimi-loli deluxe model free of charge. Hold me to that.

Seriously tho thanks man I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Now I can actually play the damn game.

• 4 months later...

When I run into the infinite load screen, I just go to an older Save Game (usually have to go back 2 or 3 saves) and load into that save. THEN load my main game.  And it loads just fine.  Once already inside the game, it seems to take the pressure off the initial load.

I've to resort to this method as well, adding the line into the ini still has my game stop responding loading saves.

The [MapMenu] entry is A fix for A cause of the infinite loading screen problem. I'm happy that it worked for you, but there are MANY causes of infinite loading screen.

Usually if you are getting that from the map, you will also start to get it from other locations as well.

The issue is more often than not, that your system is configured incorrectly for the mods you have running.

ENBoost + Skyrim Memory Patch + Not putting stupid lines in your .ini file in hopes of making it stable = Zero crashes with a hyper realistic modded skyrim game with 1024~4096 sized textures and shadows + full version of RealVision ENB.

THIS is the fix for all your ails : )

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sometimes the Windows may be the bad guy too. If your Windows is not properly configured you may get not only inifinte loading screens but, because the game does not "react" in able time, Windows may consider it as a not responding program.

To prevent this open the Windows Registry Editor by typing regedit in Start Menu search bar or in Run command dialog box (if you still using it).

After that navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and fin the option HungAppTimeout.

If this entry is missing, click with right button in a blank space and select New > String and give this name to this new entry.

Double click on it and set a high value, close Registry Editor and restart your PC.

My entry is defined as 30000, which means only after 30 seconds an application will be considered as not responding.

Is the HungAppTimeout suposed to be a folder on the left side with th others or is it suposed to be a file on the rightside? It wasn't there to start with and my game is still randomly freezing while im walking around (checked with loot and cleaned with TESVEdit, no problems there)

• 1 month later...

Is the HungAppTimeout suposed to be a folder on the left side with th others or is it suposed to be a file on the rightside? It wasn't there to start with and my game is still randomly freezing while im walking around (checked with loot and cleaned with TESVEdit, no problems there)

HungAppTimeout is a string value on the right, see here for more details: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/37420-hungapptimeout-threshold-specify-windows.html

• 1 year later...

Looks like it's been quite some time here, still hope that someone can help me out !

My problem is that loading my last save creates no problem, but whenever I try to go for a new game, it goes to infinite loading!

Wasn't happening until quite recently, started just now

Don't really think the whole 3.1GB mod limit is actually applicable because my mods installation folder size is way beyond!?

Anyways, any help will be appreciated

On 27/01/2018 at 8:04 PM, Zslayer286 said:

Don't really think the whole 3.1GB mod limit is actually applicable because my mods installation folder size is way beyond!

This has nothing to do with the capacity of your hard drive, but the way the vanilla Skyrim game manages the memory (3.1 GB memory gap). This memory limit is hard coded into the executable file itself. This means that if you exceed that 3.1 GBs of data in the base game, through loading too many textures, having too many guys throwing spells at each other at once or any number of things, your game will crash to desktop (CTD) regardless of anything else going on in the background, regardless of how strong your computer is, or how well made your mods are.

Fortunately, several solutions have been developed in order to help with these problems. The memory problem can be pushed and even extended using these methods, but Skyrim LE is a 32 bit game and the engine will not address any memory range above 4 Gb, even with all these tools functioning perfectly. The ENB binary will. Because one of the greatest strengths of running an ENB / ENBoost are the advanced memory management features.

So now, back to the topic: for starters this post "Fix for infinite load screens AND GREATLY DECREASE CTDs" is obsolete since Skyrim LE memory allocation has been patched by mods four time over.

Safety Load - Obsolete.
    SSME - Obsolete.
    SKSE.ini - Still in use, but not for memory patching.
    Crash Fixes with SKSE Plugin Preloader & ENBoost - This is the current and prefered method. And yes you will need SKSE.

And for your infinite loading screen on a new game, try this fix explained in the video here. If this fix don't work for you, it's due to another problem. Your only *safe* solution will be then to completely uninstall your mods and reinstall them one by one. Avoid downloading too many new mods all at once. Any more than 10+ is at risk, the more mods the more risk.

5 hours ago, Fifoo said:

This has nothing to do with the capacity of your hard drive, but the way the vanilla Skyrim game manages the memory (3.1 GB memory gap). This memory limit is hard coded into the executable file itself. This means that if you exceed that 3.1 GBs of data in the base game, through loading too many textures, having too many guys throwing spells at each other at once or any number of things, your game will crash to desktop (CTD) regardless of anything else going on in the background, regardless of how strong your computer is, or how well made your mods are.

Fortunately, several solutions have been developed in order to help with these problems. The memory problem can be pushed and even extended using these methods, but Skyrim LE is a 32 bit game and the engine will not address any memory range above 4 Gb, even with all these tools functioning perfectly. The ENB binary will. Because one of the greatest strengths of running an ENB / ENBoost are the advanced memory management features.

So now, back to the topic: for starters this post "Fix for infinite load screens AND GREATLY DECREASE CTDs" is obsolete since Skyrim LE memory allocation has been patched by mods four time over.

Safety Load - Obsolete.
    SSME - Obsolete.
    SKSE.ini - Still in use, but not for memory patching.
    Crash Fixes with SKSE Plugin Preloader & ENBoost - This is the current and prefered method. And yes you will need SKSE.

And for your infinite loading screen on a new game, try this fix explained in the video here. If this fix don't work for you, it's due to another problem. Your only *safe* solution will be then to completely uninstall your mods and reinstall them one by one. Avoid downloading too many new mods all at once. Any more than 10+ is at risk, the more mods the more risk.

Thanks for your response and suggestions, but as it turned out, the infinite load screen was because of 2 conflicting mods, namely opening scene overhaul and live another life!

Don't know how I could have missed it, still once again, thanks for the quick reply!?

12 hours ago, Zslayer286 said:

Thanks for your response and suggestions, but as it turned out, the infinite load screen was because of 2 conflicting mods, namely opening scene overhaul and live another life!

Don't know how I could have missed it, still once again, thanks for the quick reply!?

You're welcome. And I'm glad you found the solution to your problem. There may be a workaround for making Opening Scene Overhaul and Alternate Start - Live Another Life compatible.

See OSO description page:

Spoiler

Alternate Start - Live Another Life - ONLY works if you follow these steps:
Make sure original opening scene.esp is UNCHECKED, Open the game with LAL, wait for mods to configure, then save it. Close the game, activate this mod and reload that save you just made. Choose the vanilla start. The mods should now work together without issue, as long as this is loaded after LAL and both mods are at the bottom of the load order. (Thanks to JakXLT for discovering this).

But according to Arthmoor using this method is risky:

Spoiler

Not compatible with Opening Scene Overhaul due to conflicts with edits to MQ101. Moving LAL after it in the load order should resolve the problem but obviously that then makes the opening scene overhaul a moot point because it will be overridden. If you ignore this and leave it with OSO after LAL, the initial load screen will freeze and the game will never load. There is nothing that can be done about this. Do not follow advice given to install OSO after saving in the prison cell either if you plan to run the vanilla start because that will still mess up several things LAL expects to have happen that won't.

Personally, I did not try this circumvention method during my gaming sessions.

Happy modding to you.

Archived