Crashing on New Game/Load [Fixed]

I wanted to begin playing some of the game that preceded and set the table up for Skyrim so I got Oblivion and go to start it with crashes.

Specifically, I get to the main menu and select new game and the game crashes while loading. I could select to load a previous save which from much earlier when I got the game to work (was a few months ago but I was more interested in skyrim until now) and trying to load that game caused a crash (the crash is just sending the message that Oblivion has stopped working and needs to close). 

I have no mods installed, I have run Boss, I ran through all the files (DLC's) with TES4edit, I even tried starting the game with only Oblivion.esm active and still no dice.

I would really like to get this to work like it did several months ago and it was only recently that I re-downloaded Oblivion on Steam.

I have a Win 7 computer and there is not even the slightest possibility that the hardware is insufficient (runs skyrim on max settings with ease).

Any ideas would be very much appreciated and I will be deleting and re-installing Oblivion just to try it (I have nothing saved on it anymore anyway).

I am new to Oblivion as well so I can understand the frustration. You sound like you have done almost everything possible to get the game to work...

Before deleting the Oblivion try the Verify Cache option on Steam.

If you do reload the game. Delete all references in the Data folder and go to Steam and delete the Oblivion game folder as well. If you use a mod manager there might be some remnants there as well. Believe me I was having some issues as well, even reloaded the game and still the same? Whats going on here. ... then I realized DUH I still had Wyre and Oblivion mod manager there. Apparently the issue with the mod order being changed each time I opened the manager (Wyre) was due to a setting and reloading did nothing since Wyre was still there saving the previous game settings. UGH. 

After loading a fresh game. (from backup or download) Verify Cache. Backup (if you haven't already done that step before using steam. Trust me on this you don't want to be dealing with downloading again and again etc. ) Open the game with steam. Don't use any third party software. No Boss nothing. See if that start the game. Then move from there loading a mod manager. Then Boss etc. At this point I don't know the game enough to advise you farther like which to load first or how to set it up properly. I am also still learning.

Hope that helps.

i do not know if on steam it is the same   but i had to install the game on different path than what is proposed

like c:mygame\bethesda\....

and no dual monitoring while installing the game and as i have a notebook no seconde mouse and no seconde keyboard.

Archived