Talking to non-NPC's

Is it possible to have a conversation with a non-NPC such as a statue or a pet?

I know this is possible in Skyrim' date=' as the Daedric Prince quests do it, but I don't know how to do it in Oblivion as you can only create conversations/topics with NPCs.

[/quote']

I suppose you could create an invisible NPC, have it spawn (at the exact location of the pet/statue) when you trigger the activator. If you get the location right, you should get the illusion that you are talking to the object.

I've never tried it, but that's my first thought.

As far as creating an invisible NPC, I always just create a piece of clothing that covers everything, assign an invisible mesh to it (the same one I use to make the missing mesh symbol disappear when I'm not interested in debugging), and have the NPC wear it.

Can always use the same method the shrines use like Hermaeus' shrine (DAHermaeusShrine "Shrine of Hermaeus Mora" [ACTI:0001EF7C]) which uses a talking script when activated(DAHermaeusStatueScript [sCPT:0001EF7B]). Objects can use say as long as you use the activator's refid for SpeakerID.

Can always use the same method the shrines use like Hermaeus' shrine (DAHermaeusShrine "Shrine of Hermaeus Mora" [ACTI:0001EF7C]) which uses a talking script when activated(DAHermaeusStatueScript [sCPT:0001EF7B]). Objects can use say as long as you use the activator's refid for SpeakerID.

Thanks man.

NP

So, I've just gotten enough time to look at this now.

It isn't a problem for me, I'll just use a workaround, but for anybody else looking for this, this doesn't give a solution to having a conversation with a non-NPC. For the Daedric Shrine quests, they uses MessageBoxes or voice actors, which nobody has the time/dedication for. You can't have a conversation that are similar to the ones you have with other NPCs, but the MessageBox technique should suffice.

So' date=' I've just gotten enough time to look at this now.

It isn't a problem for me, I'll just use a workaround, but for anybody else looking for this, this doesn't give a solution to having a conversation with a non-NPC. For the Daedric Shrine quests, they uses MessageBoxes or voice actors, which nobody has the time/dedication for. You can't have a conversation that are similar to the ones you have with other NPCs, but the MessageBox technique should suffice.

[/quote']

The method I linked uses say with the activator's refid for SpeakerID. It allows you to have the activator speak a dialogue topic at a target. A voice actor isn't necessarily required but the player must have subtitles activated or you can force subtitles ON by setting the appropriate parameter to the say call. Now you may not be able to have a conversation but you can track stages and have the object speak at the player an appropriate topic based on stage.

Archived