LET IT DIE - Texture modifications

This thread is for https://store.steampowered.com/app/794600/LET_IT_DIE/

5 years late to the party

Here is a folder with the dump of a few textures from the game if you wish to modify them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BBSKYwc5o3DCBzfwTeoYjpkXjE21x16z/view

How to inject textures:

1. Download Special K: https://discourse.differentk.fyi/t/download-special-k/1461

2. From C:\Users\%userprofile%\Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\ Take the SpecialK64.dll, paste it into \steamapps\common\LET IT DIE\Binaries\Win64\

3. Rename the pasted .dll to d3d9.dll

4. Copy this folder to C:\Users\%userprofile%\Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\

The folder has a few textures I was messing with, primarily the underwear all fighters have equipped by default.

I just replaced the texture and all its mipmap/lower res versions with a transparent equivalent.

Keep in mind the textures need to match the formats; most of the game has textures in DXT1 format with no transparency and the underwear was one of the few in DXT5 format with transparency hence I was able to do this.

Spoiler

Before

image.png.f392363267487037eeabcdac39bf6fb8.png

Spoiler

After

image.png.dda76fdd9adcf8b4fb0e8e28cf06ae4c.png

After editing any texture, keep the same CRC32 filename it had when it was dumped, then copy it to the inject/streaming folder

Edited by NiliniliN

One of the issues with injecting textures correctly is that the game will sometimes try to load the lowest resolution version of a texture, then replace it with increasingly higher resolution texture until all textures are loaded in the level. If you did not edit all variations of a texture, then you might not see the changes you made. 

For example: I had been wondering why my changes randomly appeared and disappeared throughout gameplay. That was because I had only edited the 2048x2048 texture of the underwear and never dumped/edited the lower resolutions of the texture until now.

By the way, you can dump textures by editing the d3d9.ini

[Render.D3D9]
ForceD3D9Ex=false

[Textures.General]
ResourceRoot=SK_Res
DumpOnFirstLoad=false

Change DumpOnFirstLoad and ForceD3D9Ex to true.

ForceD3D9Ex will make the game unstable and you will be dropping fps quite a lot, but D3D9Ex is the only way to reliably activate DumpOnFirstLoad.

When you do not want to edit or dump textures, just set those back to false.