Hair physics stops working when I change equipment

Hi there,

I could use some help with my current Skyrim AE installation.

Everytime I change equipment (armor, weapon, even rings) my hair physics stops working.

They reenable if I take off all item and wait for a few secs, but break if I dress up again.

I'm on the newest Steam version using Vortex.

Every mod is up to date. Run FNIS and bodyslide.

I tried redeploying the build a couple of times, which didn't work.

I'm nearly sure I miss something very basic here.

Any kind of help would be appreciated. ?

loadorder.txt plugins.txt

Need to see all related physics config files to determine whats going on here. There's about a hundered different ways to structure physics config files.

For instance, back in LE, SMP used to have issues when 2 or more config files affected the same shape (not same bones). Sometimes you got weird physics as if the values were added or multiplied, sometimes things just broke entirely. Things have changed since LE though so who knows what its like now.

The outfits you're using could also contain the phyics for the hair. The hair may acutally be a wig, ie. a helmet (major difference compared to actual hair). Maybe the wig contains the physics for the outfit. etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the help.

Okay, I have to admit that I don't understand much of this physics stuff. So I haven't modified any physics files of the mods I use. ?

The mods in use with this bug are:

The hair mods both provides wigs but I use the "normal" racemenu version of the hair.

Body in use is 3BA with the "full CBPC" configuration. But I have also tried it in "full SMP" mode and in the mixed modes.

I also already tried the tips from here (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/articles/862) for SMP and CBPC to play nice with each other.

Don't know if this helps but: the armor physics keep working, it's only the hair that turns into a "static" version.

If I can provide any files that would help with analysing the problem, please let me know.

If you are using a uptodate Faster HDT-SMP version make sure you set the option <disableSMPHairWhenWigEquipped> to false:

<disableSMPHairWhenWigEquipped>false</disableSMPHairWhenWigEquipped>

The file to edit is located at \SKSE\Plugins\hdtSkinnedMeshConfigs\configs.xml

29 minutes ago, Lilith Bloodmoor said:

I have to admit that I don't understand much of this physics stuff.

First mistake of modding. Especially now that we have 2 physics systems and its possible to mix them. You need to know per-node which system is managing what, and every mod you install needs to be inspected because like I said, a glove can contain a physics config file that will change how your character's left tit moves. It gets even funnier when that left boob is managed by CBPC and the glove is SMP.

You could disable CBPC and test again, then do the same with SMP. If things behave with either system disabled you sort of know where to start looking. For instace, if you disable CBPC and that fixes the "a few secs" delay before the hair starts working again then you're on to something.

Other than that, the only generic advice I have is: "smp reset" in the console to fix it temporarily. Would have to see your entire physics setup otherwise.

Edited by traison
1 hour ago, pooks0r said:

If you are using a uptodate Faster HDT-SMP version make sure you set the option <disableSMPHairWhenWigEquipped> to false:

By the eight! I only had a short time to test this but it seems like that did the trick.

Thank you so much! Feel yourself hug for your assistance.

I will report again tomorrow after I got the time to test if it truly works.

1 hour ago, traison said:

First mistake of modding. Especially now that we have 2 physics systems and its possible to mix them. You need to know per-node which system is managing what, and every mod you install needs to be inspected because like I said, a glove can contain a physics config file that will change how your character's left tit moves. It gets even funnier when that left boob is managed by CBPC and the glove is SMP.

You could disable CBPC and test again, then do the same with SMP. If things behave with either system disabled you sort of know where to start looking. For instace, if you disable CBPC and that fixes the "a few secs" delay before the hair starts working again then you're on to something.

Other than that, the only generic advice I have is: "smp reset" in the console to fix it temporarily. Would have to see your entire physics setup otherwise.

Thanks again for the continued assistance. It's nice to know there are still people willing to help complete strangers.

You seem to no a bit about this physics stuff, so I hope you don't mind me asking an more or less unrelated question.

3BA lists CBPC as an non-optional requirement. Do you know if the body would still work if I switch everything to SMP and disable CBPC?

• 7 months later...
On 6/26/2023 at 11:14 AM, pooks0r said:

Was rebuilding my skyrim and wondered why my hair stop working mid game. Thanks ^_^