Always smiling?

My character always seems to have a faint smile.  This drives me nuts when I try out Looksmenu presets. Say I just applied a preset. It looks fine for 3 seconds and there is the smile.  It's impossible to make sure my downloaded preset looks as advertised.

I remember there was a mod "make Sole Surviver happier".  So I scoured my mods to find if I had installed that mod earlier that makes my character "happier" ... but I can't seem to isolate it. Is this an issue with anyone that your character always "smiles" a little?  

My character always seems to have a faint smile. This drives me nuts when I try out Looksmenu presets. Say I just applied a preset. It looks fine for 3 seconds and there is the smile. It's impossible to make sure my downloaded preset looks as advertised.

I remember there was a mod "make Sole Surviver happier". So I scoured my mods to find if I had installed that mod earlier that makes my character "happier" ... but I can't seem to isolate it. Is this an issue with anyone that your character always "smiles" a little?

Omg, now that you mentioned it, my character is also with permanent smile. WTH???

Getting shot, stabbed, set on fire, blown up and still smiling. I'll test some more.

Omg, now that you mentioned it, my character is also with permanent smile. WTH???

Getting shot, stabbed, set on fire, blown up and still smiling. I'll test some more.

Not just any happy smile, but it looks like a newbie did a lousy edit of Photoshop from someone picture to fake a smile.  It looks really fake and make your character look totally comical.  Yep, the word is comical.  Whether your character looks cute, serious, scary ... now he/she is smiling 80% of the time.

Here's a guaranteed fix:

1. Download Dave's Pose mod from the Nexus

2. Load your game, obtain the Dave Pose Ring

3. A menu will pop up and navigate to the expressions menu and "Reset Expression"

You can uninstall the mod later if you don't want to keep it without affecting your expression.

For me the issue was that one of the sex mods here (the one where you can offer sexual favors) permanently left smiling expressions on characters whenever the dialogue showed up.

I FOUND THE CULPRIT!

Remember this whacky comedic mod called Immersive Facial Animations?  Now it is "Immersive Facial Animations REMADE - IFAR"

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2224/?

I could not resist the temptation to try out the mod when it came out.  It was hilarious. And I love trying every and any mod that peaks my interest (as long as I don't save, or create a "test" character and don't care what happens to his/her save).  The smile resembles this moronic creepy smile from this mod.  But here is the skinny:  This mod is not an .esp.  So scouring esp files did no good to me.  It is but a set of FaceGen .tri files. Creator just altered these files with more extreme range than Vanilla.  Now either I installed it manually or NMM did not uninstall/clean up correctly, some (or all) of these files remained.

And I quit FO4 for nearly a year, I didn't remember about this mod right off my head. The IFAR version I installed was mild ("Serious" only 50% more expressive than Vanilla).  So it was not as obviously comical to notice right off.  I played for 1 month without discovering... until I started to play with LooksMenu mod.

So what I did was to find the old mod right in NMM (it's still there of course).  Installed it, and removed it.  This time NMM did its job.  No more moronic smiley face that ruins my character's face.

Archived