3DS Max UV unwrapping issue

MikeJones84

Hello. I have mad a very simple underwear mesh in 3DS max. I have this problem that I can't unwrap two identical parts to have the same size and shape, which makes it more difficult to texture. I think the picture shows better what I'm talking about. You see one part is shorter and thinner than the other, even they they are identical and modeled with symmetry. I'm still a newb with this software so I'm probably just doing it wrong.

The method I used is, I did a quick pelt on each side and then used "straighten selection", and then relaxed by face, and then "straighten selection" again. If I manually resize one of them then the UV becomes out of proportion. So I don't know what the hell is going on.

post-669970-0-03751500-1490447551_thumb.jpg

Of the top of my head you could delete one of them, unwrap the other then use symmetry. that way both will be identical, then you can move the UV shell or leave it so it occupies the same space.

Or maybe try using the cylindrical map projection on each, one at a time, that way assuming you have the seam edge in the same place and the cylinder in the same place (except minus/plus on the X axis) and keep it the same size it will produce 2 identical UV shells.

You could also try relaxing the shells or hitting the straighten selection (after selecting) button, though it tends to be hit or miss (mostly miss).

I think the first (symmetry one) is the best and easiest to do.

Archived