annoying click bug (?)

couldn't think of where else to go with this, or even how to adequately explain WHAT is happening, but here it goes:

sometimes, usually after playing skyrim for a while, some programs will begin to behave strangely. this only appears to apply to windowed applications, but other than that, i have found no commonalities. the affected programs so far are WoW (only when run in 64x mode. switching to 32x from the launcher temporarily remedies the issue), Nexus Mod Manager, and several papyrus-based utilities i use for skyrim.

the behaviour is that these programs cannot be clicked on without them appearing to freeze. i say appearing to freeze, because while the window is frozen, the program is still running. for example, if i start NMM, and the first window asks whether i want to manage Oblivion or Skyrim mods, i cannot click without that window freezing. hitting Enter however will work. once NMM loads, once again, clicking anywhere will appear to freeze or halt the prgram, but will not actually interfere with its operation. mods downloading continue to download, etc.

so far, the ONLY solution which produces any effect is a complete computer restart. as im constantly doing battle with a deeply unstable skyrim, not being able to access Script Scalpel or NMM without restarting the whole computer is intolerably infuriating

does anyone have the slightest idea what is causing this? and how to fix it?

Archived