Newbie questions about bodymods and "technical" terms

DarthSmeg

Greetings. New on these forums, and I have what is probably stupidly n00b questions. My search-fu is too weak to find the answers, and so I'd like some pointers :)

Perhaps some wiki or tutorial explains all of this somewhere?

I see many armour/clothes mod are made for a certain bodymod, like CBBE. And will not "work" with others. I know what a mesh is, and a texture, but I have no idea what UV maps are etc.

Do these clothes and armours have their own meshes that do not consider the shape of the body "beneath"?

What is done to make such an armour compatible with, say, CBBE? Do you need to define how it reacts to the size-slider, etc?

As an example that baffels me somewhat, I like the Ghost Nocturnal dress. In it's latest version, it supports and requires the CHSBHC mod, and CBBE v3.

I had used the previous version with CBBE, and love it. But now something strange happes: When I put on the dress, the breasts grow to a very large size. Strip of, and I'm just curvy.

Accessing the racemenu to play with the sliders, it seems as though the smallest size while wearing the dress is larger than the biggest size when nude.

Ie, it seems that I have a different body (with a different range of sizes) when nude and dressed in the ghost-dress.

How can I grok what is happening here, and control it?

Apologize if this is covered in a readme that I should have read, and hope for some enlightenment :)

--

Lord Smeg

What you have here is the clothes mesh is drawn to fit CHSBHC which is an H cup I hear(I don't understand it, but to each their own), and not CBBE. Nothing you can do will change that in game, this isn't VORB sadly.

What you have to do is edit the file yourself to shrink it the same way they did to expand it. I am told once learned it is easier than people think but it takes some serious practice.

As for why armor/skin mods have requirements? If you use armor that is for CBBE but use the stock body you will see major seams that also don't necessarily align correctly because they are designed differently. If one has wider hips then the feet will not line up at all with a body mod that is built into clothes.

If you really want to learn how to edit your own meshes, I know I have seen one on these boards I could go hunting for it, but not tonight!

Basically it's like this (although this is not basic at all):

Your body mod is one thing. It should look correct when you are naked. As soon as you put on clothing it adds a new piece of body over top of your body. Whatever piece it comes with is what you get, except the texture of you body mod is the one that is pasted over the exposed skin if there is any.

So to get armor or clothing that looks like it fits your body, it has to be built around your body type to begin with or it will be different. There is no way around that except to learn how to do it yourself or to wait and hope and pray for someone else to do it for you.

Greetings. New on these forums' date=' and I have what is probably stupidly n00b questions. My search-fu is too weak to find the answers, and so I'd like some pointers :)

Perhaps some wiki or tutorial explains all of this somewhere?

I see many armour/clothes mod are made for a certain bodymod, like CBBE. And will not "work" with others. I know what a mesh is, and a texture, but I have no idea what UV maps are etc.

Do these clothes and armours have their own meshes that do not consider the shape of the body "beneath"?

What is done to make such an armour compatible with, say, CBBE? Do you need to define how it reacts to the size-slider, etc?

As an example that baffels me somewhat, I like the Ghost Nocturnal dress. In it's latest version, it supports and requires the CHSBHC mod, and CBBE v3.

I had used the previous version with CBBE, and love it. But now something strange happes: When I put on the dress, the breasts grow to a very large size. Strip of, and I'm just curvy.

Accessing the racemenu to play with the sliders, it seems as though the smallest size while wearing the dress is larger than the biggest size when nude.

Ie, it seems that I have a different body (with a different range of sizes) when nude and dressed in the ghost-dress.

How can I grok what is happening here, and control it?

Apologize if this is covered in a readme that I should have read, and hope for some enlightenment :)

--

Lord Smeg

In short, it works like this- whenever you equip an outfit, you equip a body mesh with that outfit. So whatever body outfit was fitted to -you'll see THAT body. On the other hand, textures (skin,that wraps the mesh) not changed. It is the same as you put in your Data folder ,in your case-CBBE V2.0 . And if UV map is different ( UV map is simply coordinates for the "skin"(texture) to go to the sertain points on the "figure"(mesh) ) and it is different for pretty much any different mesh,then you'll see some "crap" :)

Regarding "different body/boobs" question - it can be cured in a 3D editing soft-such as Blender (free) , 3DMax (pricey,pro standard), folks say you can get 3DMax for free if you are a STUDENT. I say no more,use your brains :) But Blender not a bad choice,really. I using it, and have no regrets, tho shitty and messy UI will intimidate you at first. Then you'll get used to it. And Blender got tuts. for EVERY level and for EVERY feature,and there's lots of features, I using it for 4 years and discover new stuff with every new tutorial :)

P.S. It doesn't hurt to try Caliente's resizing tool first, maybe it can resize outfits too? I think not, but worth a try.

the posters above have it right -- the body is completely replaced by armors. When the armor uses the same body as the underwear model you won't notice this happening. This is really what is meant when mods say 'Requires body mod X'.

Textures are another matter -- the same skin texture always applies to any part of the armor flagged as skin

Body sizes are controlled by the meshes. Each armor can have it's own size. This means that if you don't use armor with all the same size, you'll see those obvious jumps in shape when you change outfits. Sometimes that can be fun --- conserviative - shaped armor holding back huge boobs that seem to burst forth when you put on some revealing robes. Other times its just weird.

Sadly, automatically adjusting armors isn't really possible, though there are some strategies that help somewhat. For the most part, it's easy -- any 3d program can do it. It becomes more challenging when you have to set up animation weights, as then your options diminish significantly (to Blender and 3ds max). If you don't change vertex order/count it's possible to dodge that issue if you're careful.

Since I love options and variation, I'm generally trying to make size variations accessible to everyone and provide ways to unify the look of all installed armor mods. BodySlide (comes with the newest CBBE) is the beginnings of this attempt. It's now capable of allowing mod authors to more easily create a wealth of options for a single armor. I'm hoping to come up with a way for it to 'match settings' amongst a group of installed outfits, so you can change a body type and have all the supported armors automatically fit the new sizes.

Bodyslide comes with CBBE, but there's really no reason it can't support other body mods in exactly the same way. Technically, it's not even tied to bodies and outfits at all. could potentially be used for weapon model options and such as well. As a side note, any creator who is interested in providing a range of options is welcome to use Bodyslide for that purpose. The documentation is a little sparse, so feel free to contact me and I'll try to explain how it works. You'd be welcome to send out the bodyslide app with your mod, stripping out anything cbbe related if you wish.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a body slide advert...

Archived