What was Your First Ever Computer Game?

(a.k.a. the "how old are you?" thread)

When reading the various forums and threads here on LL, one frequently gets glimpses of the diverse ages and backgrounds of the membership assembled here. Which got me thinking, just what was your first ever computer game that you've played? Be it on your own computer, or at a friend's house.

I'm deliberately saying "computer game" and not PC game, I don't want this to be exclusively about PC games but also include consoles, Amigas, Commodores, or whatever platform you may have had your first gaming experiences on. Heck, several members here are probably old enough to have played Pong when it was still brand spanking new.

Why do I start this thread? Because I don't have anything better to do and because I'm hoping that, if a few people contribute, this might bring back some memories of the good old times and some long forgotten games or maybe even allow us to discover some gems which we might have missed back then. 

So, allow me to begin...

My first ever computer game was Street Rod from California Dreams, from the late 80s or very early 90s. It is a car racing game set in the 1960s in which you buy a rusty piece of junk, tune it in your garage, take it for a spin to the drive-in and then do some illegal street races. The 16-color graphics and 8 fps (or thereabouts, lol) were the most amazing thing ever seen! That game was so much fun and I played it for years. I think you can still find it online and play it through a DOS emulator.

Let say, not sure what was the first, I don't really remember truly, so I guess I say the ones I do remember from my first computer.

Earth 2150

Command & Conquer: Generals

Enclave

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

Knights of Old Republic

So I guess one of them mostlikely. :blush:

I did play before nintendo and ps1 way before I got my computer.

Mountain King for the Atari 2600 was what got me into video games at the tender age of three back in '85. Fifteen years later I have to have surgery on my hand because the tendon that holds my thumb in its socket is literally worn out. Still got the scar. And not just from home consoles and later PC games. During the summer when I was in high school I used to hit the local NickelCade and play arcade games for hours until the entirety of my hands literally hurt and couldn't move anymore.

So, yes, too many video games can be bad for you. If you don't take periodic rests. It's so bad now I find XBOX 360/XBOne controllers to be painful to use because of the small buttons/triggers on the top and back (which is the only style Razer makes; thankfully PS3/4 controllers are plug-and-play for Win 10).

Video games back in their infancy. Those were some (not always so) good times. The NES and its notoriously buggy games, Sega and its technically superior systems but poorer marketing, consoles virtually no one remembers like the Turbografx-16/CD (PC Engine) or the Neo Geo to name two, the beginnings of series like Ys and the Shining games, I feel so old right now! :classic_sad::classic_tongue:

Just now, Sarge Misfit said:

Pong.

Fuck, I'm old.

:tongue:

Tabodi :classic_biggrin: My father has an original Pong system. He played it so much it broke; then he learned how to fix it when he went back to college to learn electronics. That gave me the chance to play it, too. And to think people used to believe video games were just a fad...

1.3 CounterStrike de_dust

it was 2003 there were plenty of game centers, lucky my middle school has one right across the road.

i used went to school 1~2 hours earlier and went home till evening. get scolded etc. night before sleep i usually dreaming .. "how wonderful my life could be if i have computer.. i'm gonna play SimCity 4 all day all night" my thought exactly. then teenager phase came... girlfriend, spotlight craving, stuffs, normal life. till i got my first own pc.

funny how i endup spent my entire day with video games for these last 5 years..  being smart and probably has 1000times knowledge since then, have biggest brain around,  but vidya makes me see myself progressing backwards in time,.

damn now i miss that year.

8 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

So, yes, too many video games can be bad for you.

Ouch! Yes, they can ruin one's health, social life, finances, ... and still we love them so much! We're about the same age by the way, though I had to wait for a few years longer to start my gaming "career" because computers were insanely expensive (and PC games very hard to get) behind the Iron Curtain were I grew up.

10 minutes ago, Sarge Misfit said:

Pong.

As my parents always used to say nag me: "will you please grow up and stop playing those idiotic computer games?"

35 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Heck, several members here are probably old enough to have played Pong when it was still brand spanking new.

I just caught this. Yeah, that's me!

My first PC game was Kings Quest I, played on a Tandy Computer from Radio Shack.  I don't remember the processor, but it had a 100 meg HD that the salesman said was as large as I would ever need.   :smiley::smiley:

Well well. My first computer game was Star Wars: Dark Forces on a old Compaq with MS-DOS. xD

Around that same time, was Star Wars: Tie Fighter and DOOM on that same computer. So, yah.

Oldest games I've played were anywhere from Joust [Yes xD] to the arcade version of Missile Command to the first Legend of Zelda for NES. So.

3 minutes ago, Tweens said:

I just caught this. Yeah, that's me!

My first PC game was Kings Quest I, played on a Tandy Computer from Radio Shack.  I don't remember the processor, but it had a 100 meg HD that the salesman said was as large as I would ever need.   :smiley::smiley:

Omg I remember Kings Quest!

My Dad bought upto the fourth outing for the Atari ST,

They rocked!

We also had the original Leisure Suit Larry too which came from the same developer,

I remember trying to play it while thinking nobody is looking,

Boy was I wrong!

Back then, child line wasn't a thing.... I got the full slipper treatment :confounded:

EGA Trek. The original version, back before they had to rename everything due to copyright infringement.

I don't know the year of release, but I probably only got to it after it had been out for several years. (edit: 1992 apparently, so apparently not. I'd been playing games since the late 80's.)

EDIT: No, I tell a lie - actually now that I think about it, Sleuth was the first computer game I ever played. Still play it from time to time.

I can't remember the name, but it was  a racing game on a commodore 64. The scary thing is I remember how exciting it was at the time to upgrade to Commodore 128. Can anyone remember what the Turtle was on an apple 2E? I can. lol.

6 hours ago, Sarge Misfit said:

Pong.

Fuck, I'm old.

:tongue:

Pong for me too...

And a few years later, on computer : Mazogs and 3D Monster Maze on a boosted Sinclair ZX81 with 2ko on board (yes you have read right, 2048 octets of RAM) and a 32ko extension...
Games on audio K7, it take 15 minutes to load a 16ko game (when the magnetic head of the magneto-recorder were well aligned, else game don't load and you had just lost 15 minutes) ...
Shit! I'm realy fucking old :smile:

Bards Tale 2 on an old C64. I remember one level of a dungeon that was pitch black and you couldn't use magic or torches with no compass. Too many random encounters and you would start losing some of your party due to injuries. Would spin you in different directions with each step- kept getting lost or going around in circles. It was frustrating to say the least. Oh, and Gunship plus some axis and allies type stuff.

The_Bards_Tale_2_-_The_Destiny_Knight_1988_screenshot.gif

gunship_03.gif