Gold Sinks etc

Broadly speaking, I don't like messing with the actual loot system.  I do use Coin Replacer Redux, but that's more for MUH IMMERSIONS than loot adjustment.  Plus its a great source for ebony ingots.

One of my favorite mods is Katixas Ciderhouse Restaurant (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16106).  Its a tremendous gold sink.  Getting everything up-and-running costs a fabulous fortune, and though it generates profit once things are up-and-running, it'd take years to actually make all your money back. 

Plus, it gives you a reason to collect apples, all the apples you can find and carry!

13 hours ago, Lostdreamer said:

I generally assume the opposite. No, nobody else actually has successfully looted the various crypts and ruins. Oh, some people have tried, sure. But they have almost all come to a bad end trying (sometimes you even see evidence of this.). Nobody else is a chosen hero of the gods able to wipe out entire armies of bandits on their own so these places really have been undisturbed for ever and ever. NPCs dream of exploring these and unearthing the treasures within, so i'm a little disappointed when there ain't any!

Well, I base this partly on in-game books or other materials which clearly show people have reused or hunted up Dwemer artifacts in pretty good numbers. And while Dwemer tombs have probably killed a *LOT* of foolish fortune-seekers over the years, I'm sure at least a few powerful wizards have smashed their way through, or expeditions full of regular idiots have gotten lucky now and then. Certainly there's no shortage of attempts, and there must be SOME successes now and then to keep attracting folks.

I have never been that drawn to basic needs type mods. They always felt like they had a bit too micromanagey to me, and I get more than enough of that from DCL. I want to be killing dragons and exploring the pretty wilderness - not messing around in my inventory.

This one could be interesting tho - I shall have a look. Thanks.

Yeah, it's tough for me to find something that still gives a needs requirement to give me some "pressure" to stay alive and plan trips, but which isn't all fiddly and annoying where you're constantly micromanaging. MiniNeeds is looking like the closest to this, especially since it has the best tuning in terms of variables.

I want to use Frostfall too, but even though it's very well-coded it's still a script hog and noticeably slows my game. Plus it just has too much going on. An extremely basic version of Frostfall would be cool but I don't think one exists?

I tried Honed Metal, and settled on L&D instead for reasons I partially forget. I think it just seemed to work better for me. I'd be interested to know which of these mods is most efficient in terms of script load as I have a very script heavy game so anything I can back off a bit is a win.

One of the other things I like about L&D is how base damage isn't the only relevant stat in a weapon. Material type matters as more exotic stuff wears down more slowly, but more importantly - cost matters. Expensive weapons are expensive to upkeep. But that near worthless draugr axe? Surprisingly easy to put a decent edge on that.

The problem I have with L&D type mods is the destruction chance. I'd rather they not destroy your armour (given unique armours or stuff you send time customizing for yourself) but simply have a floor where the protection is lowered to a minimum. I also prefer that this sort of effect happen rarely and more seriously, instead of random-but-still-reliable slow debuffs over time, but I think that's something you can tune?

I used to use some mods like DCL and such, but I found myself cheating when it interrupted play so I just ditched it on the next restart. I use Complete Alchemy and Cooking overhaul. Without sinking some points into alchemy you'll find mostly watered down potions. I also play DW melee assassin so poisons are something I regularly make use of (non-paralyze).

Edit: I throw Morrowloot Ultimate into the mix of mods you may want to check out.

Difficulty:

More Bandit Camps - some of these are packed with bandits and they will all aggro you on sight.

Encounter Zones Unlocked - cleared cells will respawn with appropriately leveled enemies.

Slower Skill Leveling - works with the above to keep the majority of enemies from becoming pushovers after six in-game hours.

iNeed - set to remove most food and make it possible to run about 24 hours without needing a meal or water. Sleeping is very important with Slower Skill Leveling since fatigue reduces XP gain.

Economy:

Trade and Barter - Sell -30% just to make it unattractive as an option most of the time, buy 60% to make you really choose what's important.

Realistic Room Rentals - 10 gold for a room? Yeah, maybe in Riverwood...

Taxes of the Nine Holds - highly configurable money sink.

Smart Training - since Slower Skill Leveling and Trade and Barter combine to make leveling and trade difficult, this is a very appealing way to spend gold.

Bounty Gold - simple mod that allows radiant bounty quest rewards to be configurable and still worthwhile past level 10 or so when they start getting pointless.

Sexlab/Adult:

Apropos - exclusively for the wear and tear debuffs. You do not want to lose fights.

SD+ - you do not want to lose fights.

Simple Slavery/Devious Cidhna - you do not want to lose fights.

Deviously Cursed Loot - mainly for throwing curveballs into the game, because it does that sooo very well. Also for the combat surrender mechanic. Towns might also be dangerous if you've been thrown a cursed loot event, so good luck selling stuff to pay your follower.

Devious Followers - I just put this back in on a new game, but it seems rock-solid so far. Easily the biggest money sink, and with consequences.

On legendary game difficulty with one of the LAL starts that leave you with next to nothing, getting to the point where you can own a home, have decent equipment, and maintain skill progress is an exercise in carefully picking fights and managing resources. I also never have enough money to employ a follower full time, so even when I'm fairly settled the world is dangerous. Losing fights can be catastrophic and result in small spirals of economic doom. While with the proper MCM settings it's entirely possible to accumulate small fortunes in the 5,000-20,000 septim range, x3 Slower Skill Leveling means that often gets dumped into training and you generally have less than 500 septims at any given time.

It's a system of complementary mods designed to support each other and make Skyrim a place where Plan Brave Sir Robin is often a good idea. And just when you thought everything was going well, DCL is there to ruin your character's day.

Edit: It's probably worth pointing out that I use Timing is Everything to wall off most content from early levels and eliminate both dragon and vampire attacks unless I deliberately pursue the main quest line or Dawnguard content. Normally I'll play as a non-dragonborn with a neutral civil war stance, and in all cases will go to extreme measures to keep sex consensual (ending up in SD+, for example, is an extreme fuck-up).

I generally consider a game completed with the following accomplished:

1. At least two followers residing in my house.

2. Owning a horse.

3. Owning a fully upgraded Hearthfire house, Proudspire, or Hjerim.

4. Having 100,000 septims stored at home.

5. Having reached level 30 at a minimum.

8 hours ago, SmedleyDButler said:

Well, I base this partly on in-game books or other materials which clearly show people have reused or hunted up Dwemer artifacts in pretty good numbers. And while Dwemer tombs have probably killed a *LOT* of foolish fortune-seekers over the years, I'm sure at least a few powerful wizards have smashed their way through, or expeditions full of regular idiots have gotten lucky now and then. Certainly there's no shortage of attempts, and there must be SOME successes now and then to keep attracting folks.

Oh, I'm not saying there arn't other valid viewpoints. Part of the fun of modding is the whole 'you can do anything' shtick.

What I am trying to say is that I don't think Contraband is the immersion breaker many people seem to think it is, and it really does change gameplay. Partly by removing a significant chunk of revenue stream, but also by the secondary effects of this.

Suddenly you arn't spending as long in your inventory working out which swords to drop because you never looted them in the first place. Dungeons and gameplay flow smoother as a result. (DCL's side effect of 'no, I don't think I will loot that mouldy sack' also does this)

Suddenly the dodgy nomadic khajiit traders become worth hunting down, because they will buy your loot. (one of the mitigating factors in the mod is making them fences. There are also barter points in the world, but I tend to turn them off.)

Suddenly getting arrested doesn't just trigger sex scenes or whatever. It also results in some of your best gear evaporating 'cause you looted it off corpses - so bounties etc become much scarier / more complicated as well.

Yeah, it's tough for me to find something that still gives a needs requirement to give me some "pressure" to stay alive and plan trips, but which isn't all fiddly and annoying where you're constantly micromanaging. MiniNeeds is looking like the closest to this, especially since it has the best tuning in terms of variables.

I want to use Frostfall too, but even though it's very well-coded it's still a script hog and noticeably slows my game. Plus it just has too much going on. An extremely basic version of Frostfall would be cool but I don't think one exists?

I gave minineeds a quick go, but found that I spent all my time eating, drinking, pissing etc rather than adventuring. I'm sure the weighting on these can be tweaked, but having to eat several pies every time I fast travelled got old fast enough I didn't investigate further.

I've always liked the idea of a build centered around the concept of 'adventuring is really hard'. Frostfall, needs mods, realistic diseases, turn the compass off, no fast travel, etc. Make it so the challenge isn't just in killing the monsters and taking their stuff - make the logisitics of doing so as hard as possible so there is challenge there as well. I'm proably not going to do it myself because ultimately it doesn't fit with my style of gameplay. I enjoy being a big damn dragon killing hero.

The problem I have with L&D type mods is the destruction chance. I'd rather they not destroy your armour (given unique armours or stuff you send time customizing for yourself) but simply have a floor where the protection is lowered to a minimum. I also prefer that this sort of effect happen rarely and more seriously, instead of random-but-still-reliable slow debuffs over time, but I think that's something you can tune?

I certainly have total item loss disabled in L&D - I assume that you can in other variations as well.

You can also change the rate of attrition & the weighting of 'smithed' items dropping.

It is a gradual degradation thing tho - I think item loss is how it manages the 'rare and more serious' events of 'ops, your sword broke'. Actually, I wonder how the item loss function in many of these handles quest/unique items? That might be a cool benefit for dawnbreaker or similar - that they are indestructible and won't break half way through a dungeon.

7 hours ago, SkyAddiction said:

Difficulty:

More Bandit Camps - some of these are packed with bandits and they will all aggro you on sight.

Encounter Zones Unlocked - cleared cells will respawn with appropriately leveled enemies.

Slower Skill Leveling - works with the above to keep the majority of enemies from becoming pushovers after six in-game hours.

iNeed - set to remove most food and make it possible to run about 24 hours without needing a meal or water. Sleeping is very important with Slower Skill Leveling since fatigue reduces XP gain.

I use a LOT more than just 'More Bandit Camps' in terms of adding encounters. I want to bump into new and interesting things I havn't found before when exploring the world so I keep adding more to my game! This also makes low levels very difficult - groups of bandits really can just smear you across the landscape, and the wilderness is full of them! One of these days I will find better ways of managing skyrim's odd inverted difficulty curve where the low levels are really hard and then you have perks and decent gear and are an unstoppable god tho because I do find the low levels really frustrating currently.

As for skill levelling, I have the opposite problem. Between SL arousal leaving me with a near permanent -20% skill penalty, having to be very careful about fights at low levels, and stuff like DCL just slowing things down - my advancement rate is that of a slug. I tend to drop training costs in skytweak to mitigate it to some extent. I've also just started advancing my character to 10/20 or so before starting 'play' properly.

Economy:

Trade and Barter - Sell -30% just to make it unattractive as an option most of the time, buy 60% to make you really choose what's important.

Realistic Room Rentals - 10 gold for a room? Yeah, maybe in Riverwood...

Taxes of the Nine Holds - highly configurable money sink.

Smart Training - since Slower Skill Leveling and Trade and Barter combine to make leveling and trade difficult, this is a very appealing way to spend gold.

Bounty Gold - simple mod that allows radiant bounty quest rewards to be configurable and still worthwhile past level 10 or so when they start getting pointless.

Trade and Barter is one I have tried, but it fell by the wayside a while back when I was trying to streamline my build (hah!) as unnecessary. Given it hasn't been reintroduced, it would seem it was!

Realistic Room Rentals I do use, but it might be nice to expand on the idea a bit more. it's not a significant cost overhead - but it might be cool to find a mod where the innkeepers turn you away if you are drunk / naked / collared etc and you then have to find other places to sleep and deal with the results.

Taxes of the Nine Holds I did experiment with as a way to introduce time pressure to my game (wouldn't it be cool if there was a reason to ride down the roads flat out rather than just fast travel everywhere?) but I found it very flaky in the way it collected taxes so I just ended up with bounties everywhere and guards attacking me. It didn't last in my game. It's interesting to see that clearly isn't everyone's experience of it tho.

Bounty Gold I've got, but have never really used. Testing would suggest I don't actually do radiant bounty quests much if at all. I always found it a little weird that they didn't pay that much:

"Thanks for killing that giant! You have no idea how many guards it's killed in it's rage! Here is 200 gold."

"Err, great. That will maybe cover a night in a tavern and a carriage ride to the next town..."

Sexlab/Adult:

Apropos - exclusively for the wear and tear debuffs. You do not want to lose fights.

SD+ - you do not want to lose fights.

Simple Slavery/Devious Cidhna - you do not want to lose fights.

Deviously Cursed Loot - mainly for throwing curveballs into the game, because it does that sooo very well. Also for the combat surrender mechanic. Towns might also be dangerous if you've been thrown a cursed loot event, so good luck selling stuff to pay your follower.

Devious Followers - I just put this back in on a new game, but it seems rock-solid so far. Easily the biggest money sink, and with consequences.

The wear and tear is one of Apropos's cool features. The dialog during SL scenes is it's real trick. ;)

That said, I use Sexlab Wear & Tear AND Sexlab Mortality as well as apropos. The three of these together are quite capable of reducing your health/stamina regen to nil after heavy abuse - which makes adventuring challenging. Do you rest and heal? Just use potions?...why yes, I am a fan of amusing catch-22 type gameplay decisions, why do you ask? ;)

I've found stuff like SD+ or simple slavery just derails gameplay too much for me. I've got enough random stuff in my game that occasionally a fight will just steamroller me and I will lose. It doesn't help that whilst a few sexlab scenes are cool and interesting, over-and-over awkward animated sex rapidly gets boring - and a lot of the slavery mods are all about the repeated animated sex.

On legendary game difficulty with one of the LAL starts that leave you with next to nothing, getting to the point where you can own a home, have decent equipment, and maintain skill progress is an exercise in carefully picking fights and managing resources.

You can play on legendary!?! You badass. By the time I'm done with all the extra enemies & the fact I spend half my time fighting naked/chained up/etc I find i end up having to turn the difficulty down. Particularly early game. See 'weird inverted difficulty curve'.

It's a system of complementary mods designed to support each other and make Skyrim a place where Plan Brave Sir Robin is often a good idea. And just when you thought everything was going well, DCL is there to ruin your character's day.

Yes. This. This is what I'm trying to do & discuss. It's not just about a mod - it's about how they all interact with each other and the fun outcomes of that.

One other thing I'd like to do is make bandit gear and other low-level gear like hide or fur armour worthless. Or worth like 1 septim.

Meh. It's already not really worth carrying around in vanilla play!

But yes, contraband will do that for you.

50 minutes ago, Lostdreamer said:

I use a LOT more than just 'More Bandit Camps' in terms of adding encounters. I want to bump into new and interesting things I havn't found before when exploring the world so I keep adding more to my game! This also makes low levels very difficult - groups of bandits really can just smear you across the landscape, and the wilderness is full of them! One of these days I will find better ways of managing skyrim's odd inverted difficulty curve where the low levels are really hard and then you have perks and decent gear and are an unstoppable god tho because I do find the low levels really frustrating currently.

As for skill levelling, I have the opposite problem. Between SL arousal leaving me with a near permanent -20% skill penalty, having to be very careful about fights at low levels, and stuff like DCL just slowing things down - my advancement rate is that of a slug. I tend to drop training costs in skytweak to mitigate it to some extent. I've also just started advancing my character to 10/20 or so before starting 'play' properly.

I've found increasing game difficulty and dragging out Skyrim's default hyper-leveling tends to cut down on the need for extra encounter mods and the consequent inverted difficulty. It also means I have to run away a lot, which is something I want. I suspect most people want to win every fight they have, regardless of whether or not the fight is epic or easy.

Trade and Barter is one I have tried, but it fell by the wayside a while back when I was trying to streamline my build (hah!) as unnecessary. Given it hasn't been reintroduced, it would seem it was!

Realistic Room Rentals I do use, but it might be nice to expand on the idea a bit more. it's not a significant cost overhead - but it might be cool to find a mod where the innkeepers turn you away if you are drunk / naked / collared etc and you then have to find other places to sleep and deal with the results.

Taxes of the Nine Holds I did experiment with as a way to introduce time pressure to my game (wouldn't it be cool if there was a reason to ride down the roads flat out rather than just fast travel everywhere?) but I found it very flaky in the way it collected taxes so I just ended up with bounties everywhere and guards attacking me. It didn't last in my game. It's interesting to see that clearly isn't everyone's experience of it tho.

Bounty Gold I've got, but have never really used. Testing would suggest I don't actually do radiant bounty quests much if at all. I always found it a little weird that they didn't pay that much:

"Thanks for killing that giant! You have no idea how many guards it's killed in it's rage! Here is 200 gold."

"Err, great. That will maybe cover a night in a tavern and a carriage ride to the next town..."

I think this is the hardest thing to get right. Everyone has a different idea as to what an acceptable rate of earning is in their game, and how their economy should work. I've basically got it set up for a small, continuous drain with bursts both coming and going. A radiant giant bounty can net well over 1k gold at levels where I can reasonably expect to take one down, and my follower will probably take most of that. Getting the give and take to feel right is difficult.

The wear and tear is one of Apropos's cool features. The dialog during SL scenes is it's real trick. ;)

That said, I use Sexlab Wear & Tear AND Sexlab Mortality as well as apropos. The three of these together are quite capable of reducing your health/stamina regen to nil after heavy abuse - which makes adventuring challenging. Do you rest and heal? Just use potions?...why yes, I am a fan of amusing catch-22 type gameplay decisions, why do you ask? ;)

I've found stuff like SD+ or simple slavery just derails gameplay too much for me. I've got enough random stuff in my game that occasionally a fight will just steamroller me and I will lose. It doesn't help that whilst a few sexlab scenes are cool and interesting, over-and-over awkward animated sex rapidly gets boring - and a lot of the slavery mods are all about the repeated animated sex.

Apropos is less about the aesthetic and general effects and all about the movement speed in my build. You can't run away if you're 30% slower than your pursuers. SS w/ Devious Cidhna (you get sent to the pirate ship) and SD+ are ways to make the absence of death something to avoid. Without death alternative, it's a reload simulator if you put the game on the edge of your challenge rating.

Two Scenarios:

1) "Oh, you died. You did see how long it took that other guy to back up his buddy, didn't you? So just poison your blade this time..."

Reloading in 3... 2... 1...

2) "Oh, you got wrecked by a bandit, got shipped off to the auction block, passed around for two days waiting for the perfect time to book it into town to get your collar removed, and now you need a week to recover."

Your money is gone, your equipment is gone, you have a bounty piling up, and you certainly can't afford to bring your follower with you. Good luck, princess.

One of those is something I'll try my best to avoid, and it's not #1. I play completely differently with these mods, because I never  want to "die" and face the consequences. I spec heavily into alchemy, illusion, stealth, bow, and stamina. I'll very often run from fights if I feel I'm being boxed in or the odds are bad, even if it's something I could probably win. It's worth noting that in testing the latest SD+ is pretty good about not forcing you to fuck your way to freedom, so that's been a nice surprise. I'm not all about endless sex either, and in fact my characters have surprisingly little for all the SL-related mods I have installed.

You can play on legendary!?! You badass. By the time I'm done with all the extra enemies & the fact I spend half my time fighting naked/chained up/etc I find i end up having to turn the difficulty down. Particularly early game. See 'weird inverted difficulty curve'.

Yeah, that's precisely why I play on legendary. :smile:  There's a tipping point where the world starts to feel overpopulated and overrun with baddies. As you've probably guessed, mine is pretty low. ;)

DCL is really my only purpose-added bondage mod, and I have what is probably a pretty unique setup. I have DDi (4.1beta) set to default struggle, vanilla cooldown, and two-from-max key break. DCL has no shaky hands and a key drop rate that would be quite frankly ridiculous in any other setup, but here represents being able to find any scrap of metal that could be filed into a key as well as not knowing how the lock was made. DCL events are heavily weighted toward standard devices, do not trigger often, and have low arousal weighting. However, they can pop 3-8 devices, so they're often showstoppers for a day or so as I gather keys, break them, repair locks, and remove devices.

DCL is my way to play "not-Skyrim in Skyrim" mod, and it's really good at doing that at unexpected moments. :grin:

Oh for sure I get where you're coming from too. As you say, you can go with either explanation.

One thing I wish I could do better is find a way for my followers to be sinks. I want to have to give them gold (I think simple taxes has a function to pay a salary, but what I really want is a way to "split the loot"), but I also want to have to make sure they have enough to eat (I could just raise their pay, but if you're out in the wilderness the challenge of making sure a whole party is fed is way bigger than just foraging for yourself.

It's tough because I'm trying to find that middle ground between being a dragon-killing hero and having adventuring itself being hard. Especially for someone like me who's done a lot of historical work and research (was one of my college majors) and who is familiar with all the little difficulties medieval travellers, or expeditions of any age faced. So I want a challenge, but stopping to eat constantly is annoying and micromanage-y for me. It's DEFINITELY the reason I restrict it purely to food, sleep, and MAYBE drinking (there's so much water everywhere in Skyrim that it doesn't feel all that challenging to stay hydrated and "food" can kind of stand in for that too).

I DEFINITELY don't like visible widgets and bars. Just a notification on status change like "You are very hungry"

Absolutely NO idea how a bare-bones frostfall would work, but not freezing to death interests me a lot more than a lot of other needs, as it's in Skyrim's theme, shelter is actually the most dire human need (as the saying goes, 30 days without food, 3 days without water, 3 hours without shelter), and in particular I was a polar exploration buff. Even just something that forced you to take shelter in blizzards and snowstorms would be something.

One little fiddly thing I DID really like about Frostfall was that you could drink booze to "warm up" temporarily, but after it wore off there would be an even worse penalty. But it's just too complicated overall.

Funny you mentioned dragon killing though. I actually got COMPLETELY SICK of killing dragons and then having to lug dragonbone everywhere, I mean for fuck's sakes I had to kill five dragons walking from Ivarstead to Riften once at vanilla spawn rates! And don't you dare fast travel (I usually don't) or there'll ALWAYS be a dragon waiting when you arrive. It's absurd!

I ended up installing Skree! Less Dragons and want to add dragon combat mods to make Dragon encounters not just RARE but HARD too. Unfortunately Skree!'s lowest setting is 10% spawn rate, but I might play with the mod to see if that can be edited lower, to 5% or even 2%, while also increasing the price of dragonbone & scales. That stuff should be VERY rare and very valuable as a result.

Another thing I really need to do is basically nerf the hell out of potions. Not sure exactly what I want to do, but I don't want you to be able to guzzle them in combat. Probably I'll have to look at combat overhauls first (never played with any really comprehensive ones before, but for my next playthrough I'd like more challenging and complex combat), and then see what kind of complimentary bandage/poultice/potion mod will work best with that combat mod.

4 hours ago, SmedleyDButler said:

One thing I wish I could do better is find a way for my followers to be sinks. I want to have to give them gold (I think simple taxes has a function to pay a salary, but what I really want is a way to "split the loot"), but I also want to have to make sure they have enough to eat (I could just raise their pay, but if you're out in the wilderness the challenge of making sure a whole party is fed is way bigger than just foraging for yourself.

Been using INeed for that. Has an option set followeds to needing food too and another to let followers purchase their own food and supplies when yer in a town/tavern, means I need to make sure they have a steady influx of gold or they start to get grouchy. It's still only a thing in the early levels though, gold becomes such a trivial matter eventually that you can easily give all of them ten thousand or so each and not have to worry about it again.

Interesting NPCs had an orc, ferget her name, hung out in Old Hroldan I think, that wouldn't let you hire her outright as a mercenary like the vanilla hirelings, she actually wanted a 20% or so of any loot we find. I never actually hired her, so I'm not sure if she actually DID take her 20% or if it was just a thing they put in her dialoque, but something like that on all followers'd be grand for your "Split the loot."

4 hours ago, SmedleyDButler said:

Another thing I really need to do is basically nerf the hell out of potions.

This. Usually I ignore alchemy entirely, this time I decided Imma actually use it and with only three perk points spent in the tree alchemy is already a ridiculous source of income. With all the bollocks poitions you craft just experimenting to find ingrediant properties I can clear out an entire city's stores of their gold. On the other hand, if I make potions worthless, then the prices for buying potions become trivial too and it becomes pointless to actually do alchemy. Have nae found a solution yet.

10 hours ago, Lostdreamer said:

It's always run perfectly for me, but then I never fast travel. I either go on foot or use Touring Carriages

Funny you mentioned dragon killing though. I actually got COMPLETELY SICK of killing dragons and then having to lug dragonbone everywhere, I mean for fuck's sakes I had to kill five dragons walking from Ivarstead to Riften once at vanilla spawn rates! And don't you dare fast travel (I usually don't) or there'll ALWAYS be a dragon waiting when you arrive. It's absurd!

You can change that using Timing is Everything, I have it set for 5 days which seems about right

36 minutes ago, Slorm said:

It's always run perfectly for me, but then I never fast travel. I either go on foot or use Touring Carriages

You can change that using Timing is Everything, I have it set for 5 days which seems about right

Timing is Everything is a great mod.

4 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

If you don't want the money from crafting potions then don't craft them. If you don't want the money from loot then don't collect loot. It's not rocket surgery surely?

...except that isn't quite what I'm looking to do.

What I am wanting to explore/discuss isn't "Oh, I've got too much money." it's more "Ok, so how do I make money a part of gameplay rather than trivial & irrelevant?"

It's not just about having so much money it doesn't matter - it's also about how it's used in game and what the effects of getting it are, what the effects of using it are, etc.

I think you have oversimplified the problem i'm afraid. ;)

9 hours ago, SmedleyDButler said:

nerf the hell out of potions.

The Dynamic Potions mod I mentioned initially should do this. Both allow you to massively devalue them, and allow you to tweak the effects so their power level fits with your needs.

38 minutes ago, Slorm said:

That mod is pure gold. I have dragon attacks set to 200 days and 0%, so once a year a dragon will fall out of the sky and die. That's perfect for a non-DB play-through.

The sheer number of options and variance in them makes it easily one of the top mods for creatively customizing the game.

1 minute ago, Lostdreamer said:

What I am wanting to explore/discuss isn't "Oh, I've got too much money." it's more "Ok, so how do I make money a part of gameplay rather than trivial & irrelevant?"

It's not just about having so much money it doesn't matter - it's also about how it's used in game and what the effects of getting it are, what the effects of using it are, etc.

Very much so. Unfortunately, it's something that has to examined and adjusted over time because the effects of all the various drivers of Skyrim's static economy are hard to measure, so people who weren't also specifically looking to change it while validating new mods in their load order are kind of SOL.

You have to decide what's relevant and important.

1. Do I want general scarcity, or do I want money in, money out?

2. How much is too much and how much is too little?

3. What actions requiring money do I want to be significant?

4. What mods will likely get the results I want?

The you have to go play and tweak MCMs. A lot. It's quite the process.

15 minutes ago, Lostdreamer said:

I think you have oversimplified the problem i'm afraid. ;)

I raise money by having sex, selling loot, crafting potions and doing mini-quests. My main outlay is training as I make my own gear. I don't buy houses or much else.  Very early in the game money is tight; middle of the game I've generally got about enough to do what I want; late game I'm minted and have more money than I need. So what? I ignore it and carry on playing the game.  In other words, I make making money part of my gameplay and once it has served its prurpose I ignore it. Skyrim is a fantasy RPG not an economics sim.

Ignore for a moment the cost/pricing aspect and consider how realistic/immersive it is to have 10 breast plates in your inventory. Regardless of the weight the physical bulk makes the idea ridiculous.

Archived