IGNORED

Help! Constantly hitting the 3.1GB memory limit

Try this command in your ini file:    iPreloadSizeLimit= 8388608000

What it does is sets the amount of memory Skyrim can load (use), in this case it is 8gb. You can't set it to the full memory of your system or it may try and use it all and crash things, I set it to 8gb as I have 16gb of ram in my system. This will increase the load times, especially when going from indoors to outdoors. I used to have to use a 'safe' save then load the save I wanted when starting up Skyrim to play but can now load the save I want 99% of the time. This works for FO4 as well.

As for using too much memory look at the textures you are using, if you have a lot of 4k textures I would suggest reducing the size of some of them or get smaller versions of them from somewhere (particularly landscape textures).

No offense to Veladarius or MMG but you shouldn't just make changes to your ini files based on what is said on a forum thread. Read something like the S.T.E.P. guide for configuring ini files (your OS influences the actual amount of memory you set).

Personally, I would think there is an underlying problem which is eating your memory.

28 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

No offense to Veladarius or MMG but you shouldn't just make changes to your ini files based on what is said on a forum thread. Read something like the S.T.E.P. guide for configuring ini files (your OS influences the actual amount of memory you set).

Personally, I would think there is an underlying problem which is eating your memory.

This command came from the Creation Kit site concerning the ini file and is something I use myself. This command is in Skyrim with a default of 4gb, increasing it lets Skyrim load more. Just because you are paranoid about changing your ini file doesn't mean you should discount ini file changes, I have made quite a few and run with no issues at a ugrids of 9. I also advised him to check what texture sizes he is using as that eats memory far faster than anything else.

2 hours ago, RussianPrince said:

My game is constantly hitting the 3.1GB memory limit, which causes a freeze or infinite loading screen.

I have no idea what in my game is using so much memory.

uhhhm dont know why nobody recommended this to you allready so I do it here. Start using Enb boost it gives you the advantages of enb without any visual changes. Prime example for its benefits is that it changes skyrims memory allocation and therefore helps you to not crash anymore. I havent had a crash in years related to memory and I dont get why its not the first thing two mod authors that sure know this topic recommend you (no offense just puzzled).

ENBoost is a memory management feature added to ENBSeries to address the crashes and freezes relating to the well-known system memory (RAM) limit of 32-bit applications like Skyrim.

ENBoost overcomes this memory limitation by ...

1. using available VRAM on your video card and
  2. using system RAM outside of TESV.exe for dynamically allocated cached data.

The second method is accomplished by running an executable named enbhost.exe, which adds up to another 4GB of memory available for ENBSeries to manage per instance. The effectiveness and performance of ENBoost is determined by a number of factors, such as size of system RAM / VRAM, quality of video card, version of Windows OS, CPU, and even motherboard memory channel speed. Fortunately, a number of ENBoost user-settings have been added to account for the enormous variety of user's system configurations.

Its basicly ENB boosts main feature and purpose to avoid this limitation.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#What_is_ENBoost.3F

and here is enb boost

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38649

Edit:

There you can see it doing work I have texture packs for everything you can find in Skyrim 400+ mods (including texture mods) and no problems thanks to ENB the enbhost.exe gets filled up entirely on a longer session while TESV.exe stays at that level. High quality textures and/or dlc sized mods are not a issue with ENB.

Memory.png

40 minutes ago, Veladarius said:

This command came from the Creation Kit site concerning the ini file and is something I use myself. This command is in Skyrim with a default of 4gb, increasing it lets Skyrim load more. Just because you are paranoid about changing your ini file doesn't mean you should discount ini file changes, I have made quite a few and run with no issues at a ugrids of 9. I also advised him to check what texture sizes he is using as that eats memory far faster than anything else.

Pull your neck in. I didn't say your advice was wrong, just that accepting advice from threads is not a good idea. I am not paranoid about changing ini settings, I've done it many a time - sometimes based on good advice and sometimes duff advice.

DNA's offers excellent advice in the above post. Only addition I would make is to get ENBoost from the developer's site and not Nexus (I think it's S.T.E.P. recommends this)

http://enbdev.com/download_mod_tesskyrim.html

Install ENB boost, even if you dont use ENB. Purety works fine whit enbboost.

EnbBoost will not work if you dont have this program installed.

http://enbdev.com/

My skyrim runs fine and uses 6+ Gb ram, whit latest W10 update there was one fix for Dx9 to allow more the 3.1 gb ram.

And dont change Ugrids from default 5, that is asking your self trouble. Whit quests that starts when they should not NPC:s spawns and get killed and you dont know about it, NEWER change it.

Anyone that says other should read up on it and what the setting is doing. And what other setting you must change to.

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1  Do add other issues instead, like stuttering, forces the game to load data again at every cell change that will make the game unstable, dont use it.

What OS do you use RussianPrince?

3 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Pull your neck in. I didn't say your advice was wrong, just that accepting advice from threads is not a good idea.

Then what is the point of this entire section of the site?

Besides, I wouldn't have offered the suggestion of the ini change if it wasn't something that I used myself. I may get recommendations about ini settings from threads but I consider the source and I do some checking on the command. Since you have done ini edits where did you find all of yours at? There are very few places to get this sort of info, the one I gave was from CreationKit.com on one of the pages about ini edits.

25 minutes ago, Veladarius said:

Then what is the point of this entire section of the site?

Besides, I wouldn't have offered the suggestion of the ini change if it wasn't something that I used myself. I may get recommendations about ini settings from threads but I consider the source and I do some checking on the command. Since you have done ini edits where did you find all of yours at? There are very few places to get this sort of info, the one I gave was from CreationKit.com on one of the pages about ini edits.

I should have written it better but I stick by my comment re ini settings and threads. See your own comments about considering the source and checking the command.

The fact that an ini setting works for you is no guarantee that it will work for some one else with different hardware or OS.

53 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

I should have written it better but I stick by my comment re ini settings and threads. See your own comments about considering the source and checking the command.

The fact that an ini setting works for you is no guarantee that it will work for some one else with different hardware or OS.

Many of the items I have added have been due to threads like this because I had not heard of the command before, then I do my homework. As for the command I suggested I said what it did, what the setting in the command was for and what my setup was and cautioned not to set it to the full value of ram they have in their system. Only hardware that mattered was amount of ram they had in their system.

I'm just tired of people freaking out and saying 'Don't make changes the ini file' when I suggest them when there are plenty of settings that can be adjusted within it to get your system to run better.

7 hours ago, Veladarius said:

As for using too much memory look at the textures you are using, if you have a lot of 4k textures I would suggest reducing the size of some of them or get smaller versions of them from somewhere

I've got the unofficial Nexus texture pack.

6 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1

Where does this go, Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini?

6 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

No offense to Veladarius or MMG but you shouldn't just make changes to your ini files based on what is said on a forum thread.

It's okay, I went through STEP to fix my vertical shadow bug. I know a little bit about INIS.

5 hours ago, Veladarius said:

a ugrids of 9

Reducing my uGrids from 7 to 5 lowered memory by about 200MB, so it's not a real problem.

5 hours ago, Deoxyribonucleic_acid said:

Start using Enb boost it gives you the advantages of enb without any visual changes.

Although I hate ENB because it's terribly unoptimized, I use my own personal ENB off the 0.113 binaries for simple sun rays.

4 hours ago, Uncle64 said:

And dont change Ugrids from default 5, that is asking your self trouble.

Been using uGrids 7 up until this became a problem. THere's a lot of misconception about it - for the most part it's safe unless you run Skyrim on a potato.

23 minutes ago, Nagib said:

Why not also use Crash Fixes - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/?

Read the page carefully and do the UseOSAllocators=1 thing.

I already use this. Using OS allocators has caused some problems in the past.

One thing about Ugrids, you cant change it back if you have played whit one higher you can only get it higher. You need to start one new game if you change that setting to lower value.

7 Is not that high, you can stay there. Did you also check the other setting you need to change when you altered Ugrid?

Dont remember what setting it was.

Think it was.

uExterior Cell Buffer and some value.

It is about how the game is calculating the cells etc.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_INI/General

1 minute ago, Uncle64 said:

One thing about Ugrids, you cant change it back if you have played whit one higher you can only get it higher. You need to start one new game if you change that setting to lower value.

7 Is not that high, you can stay there. Did you also check the other setting you need to change when you altered Ugrid?

Dont remember what setting it was.

Think it was.

uExterior Cell Buffer and some value.

It is about how the game is calculating the cells etc.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_INI/General

That's not true.

Load your game in windowed, once it's loaded, open up your INI and lower uGrids. Then save it. At+tab back to Skyrim and use the command "refreshini" then save. You're all good from there.

26 minutes ago, RussianPrince said:

T Did nothing. Crashed hitting 3.3GB when going from Solthsteim to Riverwood.

If you actually use ENB there is no way you hit the 3.1gb limit how much ram is enbhost.exe using for you? its basicly impossible to hit the limit with enb or enb boost. I play at ugrids 7 on a extremly heavy setup and never crashed since I use ENB due the memory limit for allready stated reasons. You should consider reinstalling the ENB you use

Again its pretty much impossble to crash with ENB / ENB boost thats the whole point of ENB boost as standalone in the first place.

30 minutes ago, RussianPrince said:

That's not true.

Load your game in windowed, once it's loaded, open up your INI and lower uGrids. Then save it. At+tab back to Skyrim and use the command "refreshini" then save. You're all good from there.

Will not argue whit you on that since I dont know if that works or not, but you can provide some evidence on it so we all can read up on it.

What Windows system did you use?

1 hour ago, Uncle64 said:

Will not argue whit you on that since I dont know if that works or not, but you can provide some evidence on it so we all can read up on it.

Ugrids to Load This is what I have used for some time and can change the ugrids mid game up or down. Also what RussianPrince said about changing it was said in the description of another mod (not sure if it was actually a mod or just instructions posing as one on the Nexus).

I can also say that in FO4 you can change the Ugrids up or down with no issues as well with no mods or anything.

2 hours ago, Deoxyribonucleic_acid said:

limit how much ram is enbhost.exe using for you?

ENB binary version 0.113 did not make use of ENBHost.exe. The newer versions of ENB have a ton of useless features I don't use and it wastes my time trying to disable all of them.

2 hours ago, Uncle64 said:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/526550-how-to-reset-ugrids-to-load-to-lower-setting/

I use Windows Server 2008 R2. Before I upgraded to the system in my signature I was using a Xeon processor with ECC RAM and Server 2008 R2 was the cheapest OS to actually make use of the feature aside from Linux.

1 hour ago, RussianPrince said:

ENB binary version 0.113 did not make use of ENBHost.exe. The newer versions of ENB have a ton of useless features I don't use and it wastes my time trying to disable all of them.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/526550-how-to-reset-ugrids-to-load-to-lower-setting/

I use Windows Server 2008 R2. Before I upgraded to the system in my signature I was using a Xeon processor with ECC RAM and Server 2008 R2 was the cheapest OS to actually make use of the feature aside from Linux.

I'm giving you a easy to use solution, actually the only solution that can bypass this limit is easy to setup and has absolutly no drawbacks?!?

You can use ENB boost to benefit from enb's memory allocation without any of its visual aspects?!? (you dont have to bother to disable anything)

Regardless of that its a matter of literally minutes and a one time setup to disable everything you dont want for the regular ENB and that is a waste of time?!?

You want to bypass the 32bit application limit and just use whatever mods you want? there is no other solution then ENB / ENB boost

You want to just avoid crashing use Veladarius ini setting and hope it works (I dont know it and dont need it) and deal with the drawbacks of having to stay below that memory limit.

I'm out honestly never had someone getting a honestly perfect easy to use solution with no drawbacks and refuse it because it takes a minute to setup if he wants to keep his sunrays by updating the binaries. I dont know what to say honestly, I'm just out....

1 hour ago, Deoxyribonucleic_acid said:

ENB boost

No. I don't want to disable all of the effects. I use 0.113 binaries for simple god rays, literally the only effect I want. I can also use the 0.113 binaries with FloatPointRenderTarget set to 0 - something newer ENB binaries REQUIRE for no fucking reason at all. FloatPointRenderTarget kills your FPS - which is why I use 0.113.

On 13/03/2018 at 8:58 PM, RussianPrince said:

Where does this go, Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini?

Skyrim.ini - Under the [General] section.

Edit: also answered by MadMansGun ... Being Ninja'd the time I wrote my post.

Spoiler

Default is 0.

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=(0,1)

Curriously Koroush Ghazi has only included that advanced tweak setting on his Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Tweak Guide [Page 9] Advanced Tweaking (Pt.2):

Spoiler

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=0 - If set to 1, this setting attempts to unload cell data it thinks you won't need. This can help those with less than 1GB of RAM, however with 1GB or more of RAM, I recommend leaving it at 0 for greatly reduced stuttering.

Importantly: As you raise the values of iPreloadSizeLimit and the Cell Buffer variables further above, you should make sure bPreemptivelyUnloadCells is set to 0 to take advantage of such additional memory allocation, otherwise it will actively work against the benefits brought about by the other tweaks.

and is still undocumented in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Advanced Tweak Settings category from the same author:

Spoiler

You may notice that several prominent memory and caching tweaks have not been included in this guide, such as those sourced from this Memory Limit Increase mod, and those found in guides for previous Bethesda games, e.g. the uInterior Cell Buffer and iPreloadSizeLimit and various threading variables. In experimenting with these in Skyrim I didn't find them to have any practical impact on the actual performance, resource usage or smoothness on my system. At the same time, I can't conclusively disprove their effectiveness across all systems. On balance I believe that altering them is unnecessary.

Another comment found on Steam Community about using this tweak:

Spoiler

bPreemptivelyUloadCells *may* be useful - but should not be put in *unless* you're running out of memory. Normally the game keeps some info about the surrounding cells in memory to allow quicker loading when going through a door or to allow seamless walking around a village. If you use this variable then it will keep dumping that stuff and having to load it from the drive - which takes time. If you've got an SSD it won't do anything for (or against you), if you're running on an HDD it *may* slow interior transitions.

- Quote by Incunabulum

I quote this commentary as an example in order to show that we have to be careful and not rely on what "might" be but the contrary: on what is "verified" by comparisons. Everything is a question of experimentations and testing.

You may eventualy test this to reduce memory usage: STEP team recommends using 1K textures for exterior environments (land, flora and fauna), 2K for interiors like caves, mines, buildings and structures (as there are no interiors large enough to hit 3.1 GB) and 2K for characters and NPCs. This proved to be optimal setting, of course you can experiment and use different combination.

A little Off topic: As we are talking about game optimization, something that we could take into consideration on the Graphic Card drivers subject would be to stick to the optimal versions that was released for their family at their times, unless you want to play current games and - in case you're using NVidia based GPU's, want to have the ability to launch NVidia Experience. I've personnaly never installed that feature because I don't need a memory hog to nestles in my system.

On 13/03/2018 at 8:34 PM, Nagib said:

Why not also use Crash Fixes

To clarify the matter with Crash Fixes:

1. Crash Fixes changes string count from 16 bit to 32 bit as required if the string count is higher than 65520 and back again to 16 bit when its not needed anymore.

2. Crash Fixes relies on Plugin Preloader to enable its optional patch for memory allocation fix. Without Plugin Preloader the fix would not work, because block allocation has to be replaced before the game loads.

Spoiler

Added optional patch to completely remove Skyrim's memory allocation system and use regular C (VC++ 140) malloc instead. This has been tested by multiple people so far. It seems to reduce load times because it's a lot faster and uses less locking. It removes all memory blocks usage (no 1 GB max limit) so don't have to worry about configuring those. Removes the bug where game can deadlock / freeze when running out of memory so Safety Load is not needed with this patch enabled.

- Quote by meh321

For info: a topic about Crash fixes by meh321 in the S.T.E.P. Forum thread.

Now about ENBoost:

Skyrim is a 32-bit executable, the max it can see is 4GB's, but because of system processes and hardcoded values it can only actually use 3.5GB's. The game uses about 400MB for communicating with your OS/steam/etc ... leaving you with 3.1GB's. This is RAM not VRAM, there is an important distinction. ENBoost works in a different way regarding memory management:

"To expand on this, by default Skyrim copies all of the stuff in VRAM into regular RAM, because the engine is old and shitty. This means if you have 2GB of textures in your VRAM as well as 1GB or other stuff in your RAM, you will total at 3GB RAM usage, 2GB VRAM usage. IE this means your RAM usage will always be at least as much as your VRAM usage.

ENBoost doesn't allow skyrim.exe to use more than 3.1GB of RAM, that's an engine limit that is impossible to avoid. All it does is make it so instead of copying everything in your VRAM to skyrim.exe in RAM, it copies everything in your VRAM to a separate process, enb.exe.

So, while skyrim.exe can still only use a maximum of 3.1GB of RAM, Skyrim itself can use as much as you have available, as long as the huge amounts of extra RAM usage are because of higher VRAM usage getting copied into RAM (from HD textures, meshes, etc), but not if the extra RAM usage is Skyrim using more regular RAM (from things that are not in VRAM anyway).

Hopefully that made enough sense, and shed some light upon the wonder that is ENBoost."

- Quote by Moozilbee

Some more info related to ENB settings experimentations:

Correct Enblocal Setting
Best memory management for plenty of VRAM (TESV 32bit)

Conclusion:

What works for someone doesn't absolutely works for anybody else. You can experiment with these tweaks if you wish, and reset them if you run into any problems. The difficulty about tweaks is that everybody's hardware setup, Operating System, Graphic Cards drivers version, ini's settings and Mods list are all different and interdependent, making each configuration a unique one.

5 hours ago, Fifoo said:

-snip-

JK's Skyrim was causing some problems as it loads a ton of additional meshes and textures, that combined with SMIM was also using an unnecessary amount of memory.

I'll try a version of ENB that uses ENBHost, but the problem with that it that it's more bullshit files cluttering up my skyrim folder, and more bullshit files I have to spend time editing to get just right.

Why can't Boris Vorontsov stop eating dick for 5 seconds and make an ENB binary that doesn't suck as much dick as he does?