[SOLVED]avast fucked me, need new AV

MadMansGun

i just updated avast and it caused my computer to BSOD (FITMGR.SYS 0x0000007E) on startup, so i had to startup in safe mode to uninstall it, therefor my primary computer is now without a antivirus and had to be disconnected from the net for safety reasons.

THE FUCKING MOTHERFUCKERS!!!, they stopped supporting the x64 bit version of Windows XP and did not warn anyone, but they let the update get installed on WinXPx64 computers anyways causing them all to BSOD. the fucking negligent bastards are damaging peoples computers (more so if people had auto update turned on and now don't know whats causing the BSOD)

they could have at least made it so that the update won't install on WinXPx64 computers,  because this is grossly negligent and harmful.

and just to make it more of a fuck you they still support the 32bit version, but they may be planing to fuck it over in the same way.

So, first and foremost, I didn't even know there was a x64 version of XP at all until you mentioned you were using it yourself here. And from some quick Wikipedia search, seems it was indeed not a very mainstream thing and was made mainly for workstations and/or PCs running a specific family of processors "for enterprise servers and high-performance computing systems". Could be completely wrong about that, and it could have been an actual mainstream thing, but I never heard of it myself so that description matches. If it's true, that explains why there's so little support for it, and I'm afraid you're basically fucked.

Also I assume getting a new rig is not possible, not is your current one compatible with newer versions of Windows (even if it's *shudder* Vista)? Those are the only actual solutions to your problem that I know of.

Otherwise, as far as free anti-virus programs go, I mainly know of Avast and AVG. And considering they are both owned by the same company, chances are AVG is not an option either. You may be able to find some lower-tier/"freemium" AV that can still work on your system, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm not even sure any of the non-free AVs are compatible with that version of Windows either, but I guess that can be checked.

As a (temporary) last resort, how about Windows Defender itself? I know it's kind of crappy, but it's supposed to at least do its job. Assuming MS didn't axe support for the x64 XP version of it a long time ago, in which case I guess it would be useless.

Last, but not least: do you have any other PC with a newer version of Windows and thus a functioning AV? If you do, you could keep your main rig off the grid and use the other PC as a "relay station" to check anything that will eventually go into your main rig so you know you aren't getting internet AIDS all over it. Tedious and complicated, I know, but that's all I can think of and what I would do in that same situation.

In any case, best of luck with that. I can only imagine what kind of hell you must be going through right now, lol :classic_undecided:.

Wow, that is incredibly shitty. AV isn't my area of expertise, but it looks like Comodo's Internet Security Suite supports XP 64-bit per their system requirements ("Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Vista / XP SP2 32-bit / 64-bit 152 MB RAM / 400 MB hard disk space") and includes firewall, anti-virus/malware, and sandboxing. Otherwise, is it possible to run a 32-bit AV or is that asking for a different brand of trouble?

Any windows XP need to be disconected from internet AV or not. 
No security updates since a little time now.
Avast or AVG are the same crap.. And a antivirus on XP is "useless anyway"... It's full of gapes now.
Do not use XP for everyday use, just for some old pro softwares and these machines are not connected on internet.

Best way, use a ligth version of windows 7.

3 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

So, first and foremost, I didn't even know there was a x64 version of XP at all until you mentioned you were using it yourself here. And from some quick Wikipedia search, seems it was indeed not a very mainstream thing and was made mainly for workstations and/or PCs running a specific family of processors "for enterprise servers and high-performance computing systems". Could be completely wrong about that, and it could have been an actual mainstream thing, but I never heard of it myself so that description matches. If it's true, that explains why there's so little support for it, and I'm afraid you're basically fucked.

Also I assume getting a new rig is not possible, not is your current one compatible with newer versions of Windows (even if it's *shudder* Vista)? Those are the only actual solutions to your problem that I know of.

Otherwise, as far as free anti-virus programs go, I mainly know of Avast and AVG. And considering they are both owned by the same company, chances are AVG is not an option either. You may be able to find some lower-tier/"freemium" AV that can still work on your system, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm not even sure any of the non-free AVs are compatible with that version of Windows either, but I guess that can be checked.

As a (temporary) last resort, how about Windows Defender itself? I know it's kind of crappy, but it's supposed to at least do its job. Assuming MS didn't axe support for the x64 XP version of it a long time ago, in which case I guess it would be useless.

Last, but not least: do you have any other PC with a newer version of Windows and thus a functioning AV? If you do, you could keep your main rig off the grid and use the other PC as a "relay station" to check anything that will eventually go into your main rig so you know you aren't getting internet AIDS all over it. Tedious and complicated, I know, but that's all I can think of and what I would do in that same situation.

In any case, best of luck with that. I can only imagine what kind of hell you must be going through right now, lol :classic_undecided:.

Dirt poor I was, still wearing my "yes you can" t-shirts from god-knows-when (2001??)

and I ran xp64 (don't ask me why).

It wasn't high or performance, it came in the box (as I recall) and it was a choice.

total NOOBS running whatever the monkey at Best buy threw at them wer probably running 32-bit, prolly still are (no wait, they've all gone to phones with TEENY screens)

Sorry, was I ranting?

"Avast, me hearties!!" makes me think pirates.

"Windows Defender" or whatever they're calling it now, used to detect virusses from poor people bringing me their old best buy computers saying "it broke, can you look at it?"

Six different virusses and a freebie antivirus program they downloaded from god-knows-where.

I think I'm ranting again....My  young whippersnapper neighbor said "Go to bed, Grandpa" but I'll show them, see attached CD-picture.

go to bed grandpa.jpg

You have free Kaspersky antivirus available for download. Just google it and you'll find it. If you want one year free license, you just have to register it by mail. Avast is the worst shit aster AVG antivirus.

I was using XP x64 SP2 for years too, like 6 years ago it was fine until new hardware come and was forcing me to update to W7 and now to W10. 

Windows 7 x64 is a good OS too, sometimes very similar to XP, I would imagine jump to W8.1 or W10 would be a nightmare for XP user lol

I was angry too when I saw many manufacturers supported XP 32 bit better than 64 bit version which was actually superior for performance.

So find Antivirus that still supports XP x64 or switch to W7 x64 if possible.

6 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

Windows Defender dose not even support vista, so that's a no go.

my other computers are:

a 12 year old IBM lenovo from a government liquidation store  (Linux mint 64bit)

a 16 year old gateway computer that one of my bothers found on the side of the road (WinXP 32bit)

a 37 year old commodore vic-20 (basic v2)

trying to use 2 computers to do the job of one just slows everything down too much.

6 hours ago, Anhedonia_ said:

Wow, that is incredibly shitty. AV isn't my area of expertise, but it looks like Comodo's Internet Security Suite supports XP 64-bit per their system requirements ("Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Vista / XP SP2 32-bit / 64-bit 152 MB RAM / 400 MB hard disk space") and includes firewall, anti-virus/malware, and sandboxing. Otherwise, is it possible to run a 32-bit AV or is that asking for a different brand of trouble?

i hope it's better than there Linux version, because that one was useless.

5 hours ago, komotor said:

Any windows XP need to be disconected from internet AV or not. 
No security updates since a little time now.
Avast or AVG are the same crap.. And a antivirus on XP is "useless anyway"... It's full of gapes now.
Do not use XP for everyday use, just for some old pro softwares and these machines are not connected on internet.

Best way, use a ligth version of windows 7.

i don't run on the default system settings, things like remote desktop and remote registry are disabled along with other unneeded background programs.

and i use a modified Hosts file + noscript, therefor the antivirus is the last line of defense, not the first.

3 hours ago, LukeDuke said:

I was angry too when I saw many manufacturers supported XP 32 bit better than 64 bit version which was actually superior for performance.

i never had any problems finding x64 drivers myself, and most programs seemed to work fine (except for some win95-98 games)

7 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

You have free Kaspersky antivirus available for download. Just google it and you'll find it. If you want one year free license, you just have to register it by mail.

It would be a good free antivirus solution, but seeing the necessary recommendations for its installation ... unless MadMansGun wanted to make a dual boot with an install of Win7 ...

Kaspersky Free. I've put them in the spoiler bellow for OP's comfort:

Spoiler

General requirements:

920 MB of free disk space
    CD/DVD drive (when installing from a CD)
    Internet connection (for installation and activation, participation in Kaspersky Secure Network, as well as database and program module updates).
    Computer mouse
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or later
    Microsoft Windows Installer 3.0 or later
    Microsoft .Net Framework 4 or later

Netbook requirements:

Intel Atom processor at 1.6 GHz or faster
    1024 MB of free RAM
    Intel GMA950 video card with at least 64 MB of memory
    Screen resolution of at least 1024×600.

Requirements for tablet computers:

Microsoft Windows 8, Microsoft Windows 8.1 or Microsoft Windows 10
    Processor Intel Celeron 1.66 GHz or faster
    1000 MB of free RAM

Supported browsers:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or later.
    Microsoft Edge 38.x or later
    Mozilla Firefox 43.x  – 52.x
    Google Chrome 45.x – 55.x
    Mozilla Firefox ESR 38.5 – 45.2

Operating systems:

Microsoft Windows 7 Starter / Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Ultimate SP1 and later (32/64 bit)
    Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise (32/64 bit)
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Windows 8.1 Update) / Pro / Enterprise (32/64 bit)
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise TH1 / TH2 / RS1 / RS2 / RS3 / RS4 (32/64 bit)
    Intel Pentium 1 GHz and later (or compatible)
    1 GB (32-bit)/ 2 GB (64-bit) of available RAM

Limitations:

To access the My Kaspersky portal, we recommend using Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0 or later.
    Mozilla Firefox version earlier than 52.x do not support the Kaspersky Protection extension.

15 minutes ago, Fifoo said:

It would be a good free antivirus solution, but seeing the necessary recommendations for its installation ... unless MadMansGun wanted to make a dual boot with an install of Win7 ...

Kaspersky Free. I've put them in the spoiler bellow for OP's comfort:

Reveal hidden contents

General requirements:

920 MB of free disk space
    CD/DVD drive (when installing from a CD)
    Internet connection (for installation and activation, participation in Kaspersky Secure Network, as well as database and program module updates).
    Computer mouse
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or later
    Microsoft Windows Installer 3.0 or later
    Microsoft .Net Framework 4 or later

Netbook requirements:

Intel Atom processor at 1.6 GHz or faster
    1024 MB of free RAM
    Intel GMA950 video card with at least 64 MB of memory
    Screen resolution of at least 1024×600.

Requirements for tablet computers:

Microsoft Windows 8, Microsoft Windows 8.1 or Microsoft Windows 10
    Processor Intel Celeron 1.66 GHz or faster
    1000 MB of free RAM

Supported browsers:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or later.
    Microsoft Edge 38.x or later
    Mozilla Firefox 43.x  – 52.x
    Google Chrome 45.x – 55.x
    Mozilla Firefox ESR 38.5 – 45.2

Operating systems:

Microsoft Windows 7 Starter / Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Ultimate SP1 and later (32/64 bit)
    Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise (32/64 bit)
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Windows 8.1 Update) / Pro / Enterprise (32/64 bit)
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise TH1 / TH2 / RS1 / RS2 / RS3 / RS4 (32/64 bit)
    Intel Pentium 1 GHz and later (or compatible)
    1 GB (32-bit)/ 2 GB (64-bit) of available RAM

Limitations:

To access the My Kaspersky portal, we recommend using Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0 or later.
    Mozilla Firefox version earlier than 52.x do not support the Kaspersky Protection extension.

Thanks for much better explanation then mine. :smile:

16 minutes ago, Elf Prince said:

Thanks for much better explanation then mine. :smile:

It is me who thank you, I was not aware of a free version, you aroused my curiosity and as I use the paid suite of this antivirus ... The free version is less complete but it could be an excellent choice as the paid version is a software that performs well and it does not take as much system resources as these competitors on the market. :classic_wink:

39 minutes ago, Fifoo said:

It is me who thank you, I was not aware of a free version, you aroused my curiosity and as I use the paid suite of this antivirus ... The free version is less complete but it could be an excellent choice as the paid version is a software that performs well and it does not take as much system resources as these competitors on the market. :classic_wink:

I have full paid Kaspersky version. It is the best AV for me. But, when I was reinstalling Win 10 on friend of freind's computer, he didn't have money for paid Antivirus and he didn't want me to buy for him, so I found a free version. :smile:

8 minutes ago, Elf Prince said:

I have full paid Kaspersky version. It is the best AV for me. But, when I was reinstalling Win 10 on friend of freind's computer, he didn't have money for paid Antivirus and he didn't want me to buy for him, so I found a free version. :smile:

It's a nice gesture on your part to want to help your friend's friend.

i'm trying out Comodo and it seems to be working so far (the install process was sketchy as can be), but it's slowing down my startup time by a minute (not a big deal) and i don't know what settings i should use for everything:

i set the antivirus to "on access"

i turned on heuristics scanning and set it to "medium"

the firewall is on the default settings (safe mode)

i turned on HIPS and it's on "safe mode"

note: i have not tried running any programs yet, so i don't yet know if there are any performance problems.

Honestly, I just use Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7, uBlock Origin and Ghostery for my internet browsers, and occasionally run a free Malwarebytes scan every month or so. Been my setup for the last 4-5 years (pretty much ever since I built my PC) and have never once had a problem with viruses or anything of the sort.

Honestly, the best anti-virus is just good internet and software installation habits (and a good adblocker for any otherwise questionable sites).

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2018 at 11:33 AM, 2dk2c said:

Dirt poor I was, still wearing my "yes you can" t-shirts from god-knows-when (2001??)

and I ran xp64 (don't ask me why).

It wasn't high or performance, it came in the box (as I recall) and it was a choice.

total NOOBS running whatever the monkey at Best buy threw at them wer probably running 32-bit, prolly still are (no wait, they've all gone to phones with TEENY screens)

Sorry, was I ranting?

"Avast, me hearties!!" makes me think pirates.

"Windows Defender" or whatever they're calling it now, used to detect virusses from poor people bringing me their old best buy computers saying "it broke, can you look at it?"

Six different virusses and a freebie antivirus program they downloaded from god-knows-where.

I think I'm ranting again....My  young whippersnapper neighbor said "Go to bed, Grandpa" but I'll show them, see attached CD-picture.

go to bed grandpa.jpg

yes, there was a Windows xp 64 bit system. It was limited and released shortly before Vista. There was very limited support (drivers) for things like printers and other components. It wasn't advice to get for most people. It was one of those things you get and know about because you NEEDED IT for a specific reason. Other than that reason you shouldn't have had the x64 version. Most users that needed the x64 version of windows went to the x64 version of Vista when it was released as it was much more supported than the x64 bit version of XP believe it or not.

I wonder when they (Microsoft) will just stop selling 32 bit OS's all together.

For those that state Windows XP should be removed.. it is still useful for limited purposes however, it shouldn't be the main OS and instead ran in a virtual machine for security reasons and then only used for those few things that are still needed (if still needed) that can't be done by other OS's or programs. (Custom software and such) This is my opinion though. There isn't any new hardware that I am even aware of that supports it anymore (XP) printers, etc and other hardware. Using it will require jumping through serious hoops to get it to work and even then if you are lucky.

Good news is many of the machines that ran xp might run Win 7 currently. Win 7 is pretty good and solid and can (depending on the version) run most of the older software (through some settings in the OS) that you need XP for. Last step as far as I know before loosing all actual mainstream support (not using an emulator/Virtual machine) for older software. Like you have to do for Dos, Win 95, Win 98, etc.

On 3/10/2018 at 1:03 AM, MadMansGun said:

MSE is not a option for WinXP Pro x64

but Comodo seems to be working so far.

Hopefully it should work as the previous poster stated for now.

I'd start saving some dollars if possible to get a cheap referb computer. Some around where I am (running win7) are about 200 dollars and more powerful than many of the XP generation computers as well.

I know your pain, and will know your pain much more intimately in the coming years as Windows 7 moves to the condition XP is currently at. :frown: I have no interest in using Windows 10 for my personal computer. (seriously working on and watching hours of Linux videos and such so that I can move to it and use my Win7 to play games only)

3 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

There was very limited support (drivers) for things like printers and other components.

i never had that problem, everything i've ever connected to it always worked, even a scanner that was made in 1998 worked without any problems, in fact it works without the drivers.

It was one of those things you get and know about because you NEEDED IT for a specific reason.

reliable hard core gaming and sometimes web surfing...11 years later it's still going strong.

seriously working on and watching hours of Linux videos and such so that I can move to it and use my Win7 to play games only

sadly Linux is still not as reliable or fast as Windows XP, if it was i would have installed it on my main computer 4 years ago.

good to hear you never had problems with it. I know of many that did have problems. .. however, it might have been when it was first released. I heard later from someone from a tech background that he was using it very successfully and gaming his ass off with it.

There are many versions of Linux and some are pretty streamlined. (however, also, might be much harder to get up and running properly)  Eventually you will have to move from it to a newer OS like Win 7 (Vista but that is a poor substitute and even more unsupported or shortly to be ) If you are ever able to get a relatively new or newer system with a bit more power and memory you might be able to start playing with virtualization. If... you ever do decide to do this and can get an system check to see if it is able to have the processor virtualization and if possible PCI pass through as well. If you can get those you might be able to continue with using your XP and other OS for whatever you want.

In anycase. I am happy to hear you solved your antivirus problem. Dealing with older OS's have their issues :smiley:

43 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

i use Linux Mint on one of my other computers, so i am well aware of what it's capabilities are, but it pretty much fails to run anything i need for serious work (the stupid thing can't even run Cura right), the only programs that ever truly worked right on it is Firefox and Stellarium.

2 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

i use Linux Mint on one of my other computers, so i am well aware of what it's capabilities are, but it pretty much fails to run anything i need for serious work (the stupid thing can't even run Cura right), the only programs that ever truly worked right on it is Firefox and Stellarium.

How old is the computer? What is the processor.

As bad as Ubuntu is (cooperate Linux) it runs pretty well normally. Might be a choice, that or another one. Arch if you can get it up and running. Bit more power and flexibility... I installed it once... lots of hard work but DAMN, if everything didn't work excellently... quickly, and with little fuss once I got it up and running on my old laptop... sadly it died shortly later.

If your processor is new enough to have virtualization and other tools included, it might be able to virtualize  other os's. My computer has a 4th gen intel.. that is pretty old and it has the needed support. (I was also lucky that I got a board that appears to have the support on the board side for more. You can't even find my hardware refurbished or otherwise anywhere around where I live :frown:  (Soon will be an upgrade for the core.... processor mobo, memory... put off due to the CRAZY FUCKING MEMORY PRICES!!!!!!! among other RL issues.  I managed to upgrade components about every 5~6 years. This is the hard one due to change over from DDR3 to DDR4, chip changes, connection changes ... M.2 etc)

Anyway, best wishes with your computer(s).

Archived