So OpenMW

nacalal

OpenMW has been around for a long time, its original purpose was to run Morrowind on various distributions of Linux.

It's not exactly an engine, it's just a bit of code that allows MW to run on anything that supports OpenGL.

If you wanted to, you can run OpenMW on a Chromebook. I did it, at 15FPS.

10 hours ago, RussianPrince said:

OpenMW has been around for a long time, its original purpose was to run Morrowind on various distributions of Linux.

It's not exactly an engine, it's just a bit of code that allows MW to run on anything that supports OpenGL.

If you wanted to, you can run OpenMW on a Chromebook. I did it, at 15FPS.

I think you are confunsing that with the Morrowind graphics extender, Openmw is a complete engine, its purpose it a opensource replacement of the orginal Morrwind engine. It supports Windows,Linux and OSX mainly to get Morrowind running on modern systems/hardware.

They are planning to release Version 1.0 together with their construction kit this year.

2 hours ago, verel said:

I think you are confunsing that with the Morrowind graphics extender, Openmw is a complete engine, its purpose it a opensource replacement of the orginal Morrwind engine. It supports Windows,Linux and OSX mainly to get Morrowind running on modern systems/hardware.

They are planning to release Version 1.0 together with their construction kit this year.

Nope. OpenMW is NOT an engine. You can still use the MWCS to create new plugins for the game, and it runs natively on the Gamebryo engine.

OpenMW is an open-source, free-software game engine that re-implements the one powering Bethesda Softworks' 2002 open-world role-playing game Morrowind. As a game engine recreation, it relies on but does not include the original assets of the game, such as art, textures, music, and other Bethesda-copyrighted material, meaning a copy of the original game (in any edition, including the Game of the Year Edition) is required to play Morrowind in OpenMW. Side projects have been started to create free assets to accompany OpenMW, and the OpenMW-CS content-development tool can also be used without the need for any third-party assets.

The project aims to address issues with the original engine, as Morrowind has had no support or bug-fix updates for many years. The engine is programmed in C++ and uses the Bullet physics engine, OpenAL-Soft for audio, MyGUI for window widgets, and SDL 2 for input. The launcher and OpenMW-CS tool use Qt for their graphical user interfaces. All the quests and other character choices of Morrowind and its official expansions and add-ons are fully playable in OpenMW, as are many third-party mods.

29 minutes ago, nacalal said:

So loverslab OpenMW fork when??

Dunno. OpenMW might not be able to handle the *ahem* extensive modding applied to Oblivion, F4, and Skyrim, being entirely based on the source code of the original.

1 hour ago, RussianPrince said:

Dunno. OpenMW might not be able to handle the *ahem* extensive modding applied to Oblivion, F4, and Skyrim, being entirely based on the source code of the original.

Yeah but it's open source, you can modify said source code to function however you wish

On 06/03/2018 at 7:44 PM, RussianPrince said:

It can't be based on the source code of the original as the original was never open sourced. If it had been open sourced then OpenMW would have been 'finished' years ago.

3 hours ago, green_shade said:

It can't be based on the source code of the original as the original was never open sourced. If it had been open sourced then OpenMW would have been 'finished' years ago.

Oh look, a brand new user with one post. HAHAHAHA

The Gamebryo source code is available to those who pay for it. Bethesda's Creation engine is based off of the source code of the Gamebryo engine.

10 hours ago, RussianPrince said:

Oh look, a brand new user with one post. HAHAHAHA

The Gamebryo source code is available to those who pay for it. Bethesda's Creation engine is based off of the source code of the Gamebryo engine.

Correction, creation was merely an enhanced version of gamebryo and is hardly worthy of being designated as a new engine (not to downplay the fact that it is an improvement). Furthermore, if someone was to licence the gamebryo engine and redistribute it there would be very serious ramifications for doing so and it would be very likely that the actual repo for said source would be pulled instantaneously. The actual OMW engine was engineered from scratch to work with the format that bethesda uses to store it's game data (ESMs,ESPs, ect...) however it also comes with the capacity to create your own stand alone projects using it's own file format while retaining compatability with other ESP formatted mods.

In short, it's an opensource alternative to the default (and rather limited) morrowind engine built with the intent to allow for greater modification of the games core systems as evidenced by the TES3MP (a near fully functional multiplayer project based on the latest version of OpenMW) project and the fact that anyone can go out and fork the OpenMW repo to create their own project from it, modifying it as they see fit (as insinuated by the original post saying the LL community should take this oppertunity to perhaps rebuild morrowind for their own debaucherous means).

I personally get the feeling you may not quite know what you are talking about but that's fine, topics such as these are relatively complicated for anyone that doesn't spend an unhealthy amount of time working around them and I have no problem going further into detail should you need additional clarification on the actual environment surrounding the project, though I would recommend you talk to the developers yourself as the OpenMW forum as they're pretty much always on there.

12 hours ago, nacalal said:

The actual OMW engine was engineered from scratch to work with the format that bethesda uses to store it's game data (ESMs,ESPs, ect...) however it also comes with the capacity to create your own stand alone projects using it's own file format while retaining compatability with other ESP formatted mods.

Then why not make it compatible with Skyrim, Oblivion, and Fallout? Eh?

46 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

I have OpenMW installed on my OnePlus 5 (Android), right now.  You can install and activate some mods with plugins too, such as: a body replacer, clothing and armor.  And I'm using a keymapper app so I can play OpenMW with a Bluetooth gaming controller.

It's far from perfect though, since the Android version is an ongoing work in progress, done by one person.  Here's what it looks like with Better Heads, Better Bodies and DMRA installed and activated. NSFW

Hide contents

Screenshot_20180309-152320.jpg

Too much HUD. Bluetooth KB/M would work too.

Nice tits. Link to all your mods?

Performance overview?

Phone get hot? My Alcatel has an SMT quad core.

49 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

I have OpenMW installed on my OnePlus 5 (Android), right now.  You can install and activate some mods with plugins too, such as: a body replacer, clothing and armor.  And I'm using a keymapper app so I can play OpenMW with a Bluetooth gaming controller.

It's far from perfect though, since the Android version is an ongoing work in progress, done by one person.  Here's what it looks like with Better Heads, Better Bodies and DMRA installed and activated. NSFW

Reveal hidden contents

Also, can you send me the APK? The OpenMW team won't distribute it.

2 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

Reveal hidden contents

Whoa! Flashbacks, man. Takes me back fifteen years.

...Damn, now I want to re-install and play Morrowind again.

11 hours ago, RussianPrince said:

Then why not make it compatible with Skyrim, Oblivion, and Fallout? Eh?

Morrowind runs on a drastically different version of the gamebryo engine than fallout and skyrim

I'd love to see an OpenFO or OpenSK (because this could possibly lead to ***MP builds based on the engine) but that would mean changing a substantial amount of the systems present in the current version of OpenMW, though I'll acknowledge the possibility I also have to admit it would be a massive task and would likely require separate versions of OpenMW for each that would be incompatible with each other just like how Fallout NV data files are not compatible with morrowind/skyrim/oblivion/other versions of fallout.

Archived