A7 - Romance & Sex Framework Development Thread

oel-za

pBL3RZ.png

A7 Romance & Sex Framework 

Development & Resource Thread

What is this?

A7 is a Romance & Sex Framework covering romantic and sexual relations in the Commonwealth. If SexTec gets closer to release than I do than anything included in this Framework will be given over to the developers of that framework. I do not want 50 different pieces of tools lying around and rather pool them together, but for now I'm doing my take on it.

To kickstart others I'm going to provide any help I can and release my source files here and there to be used, looked at, manipulated, edited and of course used freely. So I'm allowing anyone to dig in and be apart of it and grant permission to anyone who's willing to take it. A little credit reminder would be cool but I'm not going to sweat profusely if you somehow forget it.

I personally think that we either have a resouce- and knowledge monopoly going on or simply a lack of knowledge and/or tools. So if I figure anything (new) out I'll do my best to provide on how to reproduce and use it.

What is you plan with the Framework?

Romance Framework

The Romance Framework will simply contain ways to be kind and lovely to your favorite companion(s), NPC(s), foe(s) or whoever. This is still bare-bones but what is planned:

• Make-out scenes 
    • I've started to port HTongues over to Fallout 4 and retextured them myself to make them look more natural since the lighting is quite different. I'm planning to use them for make-out scenes, however am still figuring out how to make proper expressions to open the mouth properly, where we come to the next point
  • Expression Toolset
    • To allow Make-out scenes and other shenanigans to look natural we need an expression toolset. I know how to make them (Additional Sets in the *.tri-files), however am still figuring out how to inject them as new AnimFaceArcheTypes, so this is still research. I hope I can make them work, then a lot of lively would be create for both, the romance- and sex part.
  • Cuddle- and Embrace poses/animations
    • Pretty self-explanatory; containing several animations- and poses to embrace one and another. I've made a handful so far and they look great so far. Some examples:
      • Sitting cuddle pose- and animation
      • Spooning (Soft, Sexy- and rough with an overlap to a sex animation)
      • Stroking / Embracing while standing poses- and animations
      • Forced kissing

Sex Framework

The Sex Framework will contain animations- and poses to allow some sexificational actions to go down. I'm focusing only on humanoid interactions. Besides animations I want to, if I'm getting that far, to allow the user to manipulate and edit everything via the MCM-Menu and offer a wide variety how sex can be triggered. Here some examples:

• Simple cut and dry dialogue options (Sex? Good, cool story bro) and start instantly
  • Via Hotkey with a targeted Actor
  • Via Stats and integrated into the dialogue as an option with chance to fail
  • And more

Simply giving the user the option to decide how he wants to use them and not limiting them in any way. Now to the most important part, the animations and poses. Since what I've stated above might not be developed due to different circumstances I'm putting most of my time when I have time and the energy into animations and poses. They'll range from harmlessy romantic to BDSM and most of them are unisex or carry a lesbian- and gay equivalent. I also want to include small variations- and flavors of them to avoid ultra clipping with either thick upper or lower parts. I've made around a 100 but I've scrapped a lot of those since I'm still in the process of getting myself familiar with the quirks and ways- how to make them look good and natural. I've probably said natural too many times now but you get it, I aim for the good stuff. Some Animations- and Poses I've done so far and/or am planning:

Animations & Poses:

• Doggy-style (3 standing variations, Layover (torso of dominant lowered), Arms pulled back, Freestyle (no hands), planned 10 more variations)
  • Power-Thigh V (dominant holds partner and submissive has legs over dominants Shoulder, looks crap and needs editing)
  • Side-Thruster (spoon position with the dominant thrusting, planned 3 flavors for soft, harder and extremely dominant versions)
  • Cunnilingus (Laying, sitting, helping, passive, standing, ...)
  • Blowjobs (Laying, sitting, standing, ...)
  • Masturbation (Planned too many for both genders, need to sort them out what I currently got done)
  • Face-Off  (Planned)
  • The Pretzel (Planned)
  • Seated Wheelbarrow (Planned)
  • Spork (Planned)
  • And more

Unfortunately some sex animations are with my current knowledge not possible; when the legs are raised over a certain height (~10 units) they start to collapse wildly. This is due the COM (Center Of Mass) being obnoxiously stupid in Fallout 4. I'm researching and testing a lot how to overcome this since there are so many interesting animations which could be used if that issue would be resolved. 

I haven't documented or made every pose and animation publically available, however you can enjoy some impressions on my flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/139105246@N02/albums

Bear in mind the development will not be fast or be done tomorrow, however I'll try to keep you in the loop and post updates regularly.

WIP Release of the Tongues for the Romance Framework. 

377160_20180310155845_1.png

They're purely meant for screenshots at the moment. 

I've retextured the tongues to look more bright and they're a part from my Romance/Sex Framework. You have to spawn them via console

help "tongue" 4 armo; player.additem ID

They use Slot 49 (Mouth). Most work out of the box, some won't and depend on the thickness and position of the lips. Recommended to be used in pair with https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24932/ until I have figured out how to make expressions á la MFG Console work in Fallout. 

Credits to Halo for the original Skyrim Version.

Oeliza_-_Framework_WIP_Tongues.7z

15 hours ago, oel-za said:

Unfortunately some sex animations are with my current knowledge not possible; when the legs are raised over a certain height (~10 units) they start to collapse wildly. This is due the COM (Center Of Mass) being obnoxiously stupid in Fallout 4. I'm researching and testing a lot how to overcome this since there are so many interesting animations which could be used if that issue would be resolved. 

I don't know what rig you're using but it's possible the knee jerking around is due to not having a knee controller/object to keep it in place.  COM is fine...unless the rig is borked.

I created my own rig that I plan on releasing once a framework that has an animation loader is released.

1 hour ago, Leito86 said:

I don't know what rig you're using but it's possible the knee jerking around is due to not having a knee controller/object to keep it in place.  COM is fine...unless the rig is borked.

I created my own rig that I plan on releasing once a framework that has an animation loader is released.

Have been using Crazy's/My own. How did you add the knee controller/object?

28 minutes ago, oel-za said:

Have been using Crazy's/My own. How did you add the knee controller/object?

Not sure how well this will work with Biped/CAT as I don't use it but...

If the rig is using an IK HI Solver for the leg, you can add by doing the following.

Spoiler

1) Select the Create tab.

2) Select Point from the Helpers Section

3) Put the Point Helper in front of the knee.

Untitled-1.png

Next...

1) Select the HI Solver

2) Select the Motion tab

3) Select None under IK Solver properties and select the Point Helper you just created.

Untitled-2.png

Done, now you can control the knee position with the Pointer.  Should fix any wobbling during certain poses.

You can do this with the elbows too.

1 hour ago, Leito86 said:

Not sure how well this will work with Biped/CAT as I don't use it but...

If the rig is using an IK HI Solver for the leg, you can add by doing the following.

Hide contents

1) Select the Create tab.

2) Select Point from the Helpers Section

3) Put the Point Helper in front of the knee.

Untitled-1.png

Next...

1) Select the HI Solver

2) Select the Motion tab

3) Select None under IK Solver properties and select the Point Helper you just created.

Untitled-2.png

Done, now you can control the knee position with the Pointer.  Should fix any wobbling during certain poses.

You can do this with the elbows too.

Oh, I use an IK/HK Rig. I think we misunderstood eachother. I have no issues with poses or 1-Framers. The problem I meant is that the legs will collapse from the thighs downwards if the concurrent body is too close to another body while the legs are raised over a certain level in an animation frameset / the ground — the collision is off.

suxtUk.png

TCL + 100 Units above ground:

HLc2Mo.png

TCL + TAI + Slowly lowered (If you lower the body back at once they will half collapse again in this mode)

8WLMN2.png

Cool. Some really great ideas. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

On 3/5/2018 at 3:32 PM, Leito86 said:

I've made a framework like this. It uses XML to define new animations and is designed to scale. It will find/load multiple XML files (which would theoretically represent animation packs).

That part is already working. But, it's not in a releasable state (missing an API mostly). I kind of stalled out once I had to start working on 3D which is way less familiar territory for me than coding. :smiley:

Maybe it would make more sense for me to contribute it to a project like this. Not sure if there would be interest?

11 hours ago, dagobaking said:

Cool. Some really great ideas. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

I've made a framework like this. It uses XML to define new animations and is designed to scale. It will find/load multiple XML files (which would theoretically represent animation packs).

That part is already working. But, it's not in a releasable state (missing an API mostly). I kind of stalled out once I had to start working on 3D which is way less familiar territory for me than coding. :smiley:

Maybe it would make more sense for me to contribute it to a project like this. Not sure if there would be interest?

Would love to see what you've done/planned. Having the ability to load animation/pose packs dynamically would create a huge difference and anybody could contribute directly, similarly how it's done in Skyrim.

14 hours ago, Phelps1247 said:

Are you releasing the poses as a seperate thing or only as part of the framework?

Since there are also SFW Poses they'll be released as a separate entity but also integrated into the Framework, so you can later decide what you want.

-------------------

I've ported all tongues for Female's from HTongues now. Males are missing and then I need to catch onto the dreaded train to make new expressions somehow work.

11 hours ago, oel-za said:

Would love to see what you've done/planned. Having the ability to load animation/pose packs dynamically would create a huge difference and anybody could contribute directly, similarly how it's done in Skyrim.

What is done:

Scalable animation system. It takes a little work from animators or someone to make the XML file. But, it's similar to how things work for WickedWhims in the Sims and they have a zillion animation packs. So, I think it is manageable for most people.

An approach to playing animations different than 4play. There are some rough edges to work out. But, in general it seems to work reliably. It is more like the Skyrim way, using an invisible rug and mounting the actors onto multiple overlapping mount points.

Targeting furniture. Animations are tagged for the "ground" which is open space. Or for furniture. For immersion, my plan was to make most animations for furniture like in the Sims.

A "wizard". This is mainly used for testing now. But, it is a bit more sophisticated than traditional targeting methods. It scans near the player for actors, furniture, etc. and uses a simple dynamic text menu to start animations.

---

Planned (honestly no idea how much of this I will realistically get to. IRL has become busy lately):

An animation grouping, sequencing and transition system. This would be additional XML formats that reference the master animation list. It would allow modders to create loops with variations (so a doggystyle animation could throw in randomized spanks, etc.) and also transition between different positions like 0Sex on Skyrim.

Stages of undress. This would set up special outfits that will have more states than just "equipped" and "unequipped". So, it might be a pair of jeans that can be fully on, pulled down to the knees, at ankles or off. Obviously, this would be a big task to make these states for all outfits in the game. I was thinking that I would make the framework for it and just apply it to the few outfits that I like over time. To me, it is immersion breaking for sex scenes to just be instant-all-nude. I think this partially clothed system would make it look much more wastelandish.

"Special Effects". Basically, various body effects relevant to sex. For example, changing morphs for private parts (4play already does this too). Adding sounds. Texture overlays for blushing, etc.

A lot of relationship things. In other words, tracking NPCs in the game to give them unique randomized characteristics, autonomy and to remember their relationship to the player. So, an NPC that rolls a "gold digger" trait might follow the player around if they have a lot of caps. But, if they are also "jealous" they might then turn hostile if the player starts a relationship with them and they see the player give attention to another NPC. Things like that to give context to the animations and randomness for surprises and replayability. A person might have to spend a few hours of gameplay trying to figure out if they did something wrong or if their muse is just crazy. Just like in real life. :smiley:

Progressive menus. The idea here is to create a tree-like menu that plays animations in a sensible order. So, you start with a scene on a couch making out. Then you can choose to do different actions and progress them, back out and go through a different set of actions, etc. This is inspired by 0Sex. So, if you've tried that you will get the idea.

HUD additions. Some custom overlay work to show sex and relationship status at different times (apropos style descriptions, an x-ray view of the sex with some kind of indication of emotional and libido states).

---

Additional note:

This is developed with a similar technical strategy to 0Sex. So, it is mostly coded in flash (some people call this scaleform. But, scaleform is just a framework that works within flash and has a C++ side). Obviously, it has to hook back out to run certain things in Papyrus. But, as much logic as possible is kept in Flash because it's just a much better coding environment to work with. I wanted to point this out because it might be tough for Papyrus only coders with no other dev background to work on it.

---

It's really inspired by 0Sex and it seems like your interest in expressions, making out animations, romance, etc. might make it a good fit.

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, dagobaking said:

What is done:

Scalable animation system. It takes a little work from animators or someone to make the XML file. But, it's similar to how things work for WickedWhims in the Sims and they have a zillion animation packs. So, I think it is manageable for most people.

An approach to playing animations different than 4play. There are some rough edges to work out. But, in general it seems to work reliably. It is more like the Skyrim way, using an invisible rug and mounting the actors onto multiple overlapping mount points.

Targeting furniture. Animations are tagged for the "ground" which is open space. Or for furniture. For immersion, my plan was to make most animations for furniture like in the Sims.

A "wizard". This is mainly used for testing now. But, it is a bit more sophisticated than traditional targeting methods. It scans near the player for actors, furniture, etc. and uses a simple dynamic text menu to start animations.

---

Planned (honestly no idea how much of this I will realistically get to. IRL has become busy lately):

An animation grouping, sequencing and transition system. This would be additional XML formats that reference the master animation list. It would allow modders to create loops with variations (so a doggystyle animation could throw in randomized spanks, etc.) and also transition between different positions like 0Sex on Skyrim.

Stages of undress. This would set up special outfits that will have more states than just "equipped" and "unequipped". So, it might be a pair of jeans that can be fully on, pulled down to the knees, at ankles or off. Obviously, this would be a big task to make these states for all outfits in the game. I was thinking that I would make the framework for it and just apply it to the few outfits that I like over time. To me, it is immersion breaking for sex scenes to just be instant-all-nude. I think this partially clothed system would make it look much more wastelandish.

"Special Effects". Basically, various body effects relevant to sex. For example, changing morphs for private parts (4play already does this too). Adding sounds. Texture overlays for blushing, etc.

A lot of relationship things. In other words, tracking NPCs in the game to give them unique randomized characteristics, autonomy and to remember their relationship to the player. So, an NPC that rolls a "gold digger" trait might follow the player around if they have a lot of caps. But, if they are also "jealous" they might then turn hostile if the player starts a relationship with them and they see the player give attention to another NPC. Things like that to give context to the animations and randomness for surprises and replayability. A person might have to spend a few hours of gameplay trying to figure out if they did something wrong or if their muse is just crazy. Just like in real life. :smiley:

Progressive menus. The idea here is to create a tree-like menu that plays animations in a sensible order. So, you start with a scene on a couch making out. Then you can choose to do different actions and progress them, back out and go through a different set of actions, etc. This is inspired by 0Sex. So, if you've tried that you will get the idea.

HUD additions. Some custom overlay work to show sex and relationship status at different times (apropos style descriptions, an x-ray view of the sex with some kind of indication of emotional and libido states).

---

Additional note:

This is developed with a similar technical strategy to 0Sex. So, it is mostly coded in flash (some people call this scaleform. But, scaleform is just a framework that works within flash and has a C++ side). Obviously, it has to hook back out to run certain things in Papyrus. But, as much logic as possible is kept in Flash because it's just a much better coding environment to work with. I wanted to point this out because it might be tough for Papyrus only coders with no other dev background to work on it.

---

It's really inspired by 0Sex and it seems like your interest in expressions, making out animations, romance, etc. might make it a good fit.

Thoughts?

Damn, this is actually my main approach because I love how 0Sex is integrated. I have no idea about how to make the menus work yet, but sounds you've already made tons of progress with that. 

>An approach to playing animations different than 4play. There are some rough edges to work out. But, in general it seems to work reliably. It is more like the Skyrim way, using an invisible rug and mounting the actors onto multiple overlapping mount points.

Is this an object you spawn when an animation gets triggered, and if so, does it help with the stupid collission on some of those? If so I'd love to hear how you managed to do that, because as much as I can make animations in any shape or form, I still am struggling with legs raised up or very close scenes where one actor is in the air sometimes.

Anything you've posted sounds well thought out and is in my opinion overlapping with my ideas so far. My basic requirements if I go as far as making a framework (besides what has been mentioned):

- Seamless integration

- Possibility to load in animation packs (XML sounds good!)

- Relationship treatment

- Sophisticated menu

I heard that 0Sex uses flash to do that, but never knew how it was actually pulled off. Thank you for the thorough post :smile:

While this all sounds simply amazing, and it does... but, as an author of mods that uses fourplay, I worry that introducing a second system would require overhauls that could prove painful should this effort be radically different from fourplay.

Has anyone tried circling in @jaam or @vinfamy to see if you cannot coordinate efforts to make something that wont break everyone's existing mods?

10 hours ago, oel-za said:

Damn, this is actually my main approach because I love how 0Sex is integrated. I have no idea about how to make the menus work yet, but sounds you've already made tons of progress with that. 

Cool. As far as scaleform integration goes it's pretty similar to Skyrim. Actually, better because F4SE has better data exchange functions than SKSE does.

Is this an object you spawn when an animation gets triggered, and if so, does it help with the stupid collission on some of those? If so I'd love to hear how you managed to do that, because as much as I can make animations in any shape or form, I still am struggling with legs raised up or very close scenes where one actor is in the air sometimes.

Yes. In Skyrim, an invisible object was spawned and actors were mounted to it as a "vehicle".

Fallout changed the API so that you can't mount Actors to Objects as a vehicle. Vehicles now have to be Actors (and I couldn't figure out how to make a valid invisible actor to mount to).

So, I created an invisible rug (you can make objects invisible by setting them to be a "marker") and added something like 9 mount points to it at 0,0,0. When animations are triggered, it places an instance of the rug into the world at the desired spot and snaps the actors to one of the mount points.

Getting to that solution took a TON of time because there are many combinations of mount systems in Fallout. It was frustrating because all approaches took a lot of work just to set up to test. Then each one would seemingly fix something that didn't work in the other. But, then introduce some other quirk that I couldn't live with (like requiring the characters eyes to be closed because they have been set to "unconscious" so they wont move :smiley: ) .

The invisible rug approach is pretty solid. I found that a vital aspect was removing keywords. Otherwise, the AI tries to have them "exit" the furniture to do something else and it all gets ruined. There is still some issues with certain actors. It seems like some actors that are key to the vanilla storyline have stubborn keywords that can't be cleared. Or, they have to be cleared in some special way. I found a few methods that seem to work on everyone most of the time. But, I think there are a few actors that will sometimes break out of animation after 20 seconds or so.

I have not seen the leg issue that you are having. But, I have only tested with a few really basic animations. So, maybe it will happen if I flip actors upside down. If it is caused by clipping, I think my system might solve it. My goal was to make it work perfectly with clipping because I want animations to run over any kind of furniture. There were many tests I did that worked in open spaces. But, they pushed actors out of place on furniture.

Anything you've posted sounds well thought out and is in my opinion overlapping with my ideas so far. My basic requirements if I go as far as making a framework (besides what has been mentioned):

- Seamless integration

- Possibility to load in animation packs (XML sounds good!)

- Relationship treatment

- Sophisticated menu

Yeah. TBH, I wasn't sure if I was ever going to release what I've done. But, when I saw your list of features it sounded very similar. Plus, I've kind of been stuck lately. So, would seem like a waste to just drop it and nobody gets anything out of the effort. Give me some time to remove some test code cluttering it up and I will share.

I heard that 0Sex uses flash to do that, but never knew how it was actually pulled off. Thank you for the thorough post :smile:

Yes. 0Sex is mostly Flash code.

8 hours ago, Flashy (JoeR) said:

While this all sounds simply amazing, and it does... but, as an author of mods that uses fourplay, I worry that introducing a second system would require overhauls that could prove painful should this effort be radically different from fourplay.

Has anyone tried circling in @jaam or @vinfamy to see if you cannot coordinate efforts to make something that wont break everyone's existing mods?

Fair point.

I had thought about that as I weighed the pros and cons of releasing or just keeping it as a private mod. I think it would be relatively easy to make a "4Play Proxy". This would basically be the API scripts of 4Play with the same functions. The functions would be written to take the same inputs, but call the commands needed in the new framework. This way, the new framework would actually work with existing 4play dependent mods. The frameworks would be interchangeable. But, this one would have some extra bells and whistles that could be turned off/on in a config file.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:09 PM, dagobaking said:

So, I created an invisible rug (you can make objects invisible by setting them to be a "marker") and added something like 9 mount points to it at 0,0,0. When animations are triggered, it places an instance of the rug into the world at the desired spot and snaps the actors to one of the mount points.

Have you considered mounting actor[1] to actor[0] to rug? (As in Skyrim, Actor[0] is always the female or receiver.)

Much like getting into the power armor, your mounting the power armor actor, unmounting when you exit... And while in the Power Armor, you are mounted to different objects in the game, an easy one to point to is the main entrance to Vault 111. In this case, instead of being replaced by the target, you should be able to set up and run the various animations, And that should also prevent the later mentioned problem with the target actor wanting to run off after 20 seconds or so.

On 9/3/2018 at 6:09 AM, dagobaking said:

Fair point.

I had thought about that as I weighed the pros and cons of releasing or just keeping it as a private mod. I think it would be relatively easy to make a "4Play Proxy". This would basically be the API scripts of 4Play with the same functions. The functions would be written to take the same inputs, but call the commands needed in the new framework. This way, the new framework would actually work with existing 4play dependent mods. The frameworks would be interchangeable. But, this one would have some extra bells and whistles that could be turned off/on in a config file.

That would be amazing, the proxy idea is wonderful!  But please consider to overhaul the four-play events also, and instead fire a very parameters-rich event at the end of animations or scene. (suggested added return info: The bed used, the actor victim if any, the location, interrupted or not, animation changed during scene or not etc... ) you would do a very great services to wear and tear like mods! :smiley: 

6 hours ago, Airianna said:

Have you considered mounting actor[1] to actor[0] to rug? (As in Skyrim, Actor[0] is always the female or receiver.)

Much like getting into the power armor, your mounting the power armor actor, unmounting when you exit... And while in the Power Armor, you are mounted to different objects in the game, an easy one to point to is the main entrance to Vault 111. In this case, instead of being replaced by the target, you should be able to set up and run the various animations, And that should also prevent the later mentioned problem with the target actor wanting to run off after 20 seconds or so.

Skyrim, at least the way Sexlab worked, mounted the actors to a marker object rather than each other. But, I get what you are saying. It does look like that is the way that Bethesda intended their system to work. If one of their devs were building an adult framework, they probably would do something like that because it's more consistent with how things were done in the rest of the game.

That said, I couldn't personally get that approach to work, even after reviewing an existing mod that uses it (a motorcycle riding mod). From what I could see, it requires adding additional mount points to the actor and setting things up right in many different places in creationkit. It just seemed really fussy. Probably easy for a team where a different person is handling each part. But, for one dev-focused modder like myself, mounting to the marker object seemed more durable and elegant (requires few changes to game files).

In my latest tests, I haven't seen any actors break out of the animations. I hadn't worked on it for a while. So, maybe it is more stable than I remembered or some Bethesda update did something that helped it?

2 hours ago, anghelos92 said:

That would be amazing, the proxy idea is wonderful!  But please consider to overhaul the four-play events also, and instead fire a very parameters-rich event at the end of animations or scene. (suggested added return info: The bed used, the actor victim if any, the location, interrupted or not, animation changed during scene or not etc... ) you would do a very great services to wear and tear like mods! :smiley: 

Please keep in mind that this thread is for oel-za's A7 framework. I'm throwing in ideas and offering to help as I can and as needed. I don't want to hijack the thread or imply that I have concrete release plans myself.

Reports like that wouldn't take much to add. But, the model I had in mind is more like WickedWhims. It's a framework in the sense of adding new animations and adjusting settings. But, it does a lot more out of the box than something like Sexlab which doesn't do anything without other mods. I would prefer to have a wear and tear feature built into the framework and outside mods would just control when/how those features are applied rather than for the wear and tear mod to be completely removed and built by another modder.

41 minutes ago, dagobaking said:

Skyrim, at least the way Sexlab worked, mounted the actors to a marker object rather than each other. But, I get what you are saying. It does look like that is the way that Bethesda intended their system to work. If one of their devs were building an adult framework, they probably would do something like that because it's more consistent with how things were done in the rest of the game.

That said, I couldn't personally get that approach to work, even after reviewing an existing mod that uses it (a motorcycle riding mod). From what I could see, it requires adding additional mount points to the actor and setting things up right in many different places in creationkit. It just seemed really fussy. Probably easy for a team where a different person is handling each part. But, for one dev-focused modder like myself, mounting to the marker object seemed more durable and elegant (requires few changes to game files).

In my latest tests, I haven't seen any actors break out of the animations. I hadn't worked on it for a while. So, maybe it is more stable than I remembered or some Bethesda update did something that helped it?

While working on Raven Beak Prison Remastered, I learned quickly that Bethesda didn't want to make it easy. Their Papyrus code to get 1 thing to work was all over the place, no consistency really. Trying to put it all to 1 script caused that script to silently fail in game, if not crash the game. So yes, I agree, VERY fussy when it comes to what works in the game.

However, I mention focus on the power armor, because it's the simplest mounting of actor to actor, when entering or leaving the power armor. That is the area I would be focusing to get the code functional, a simple move with me in formation for companions or other NPCs as a starting point, to keep the NPC X distance away. That requires mounting the NPC to the player.

Once that is done, if bumped by any other NPC, the NPC that is mounted to the player would remain in position with the PC, and if the player is bumped then the NPC linked would move with the player. Then can see how to link the player to the object with Vault 111, the enter link freezes the player and links the player to the lift, That little bit of code is for linking to the rug so the player won't get knocked around by other NPCs. After the link is established, the lift starts to lower, then the player changes zones.

I am just thinking stripped down code to the bare minimum to get it functional, doesn't need a lot of fancy code to start with. The HotRod Cats have a power armor suit sitting near the garage without any pieces of armor in it. It's stripped down to the bare minimum. Might be easier to start with that PA frame.

I have know-how, to analyze the easiest way to get from A to B to C, but my own scripting knowledge is so limited, I can't write the scripts very well. Not to mention it's hard for me to retain the information due to my age and mental issues (Thank goodness for spell checker).

4 hours ago, Airianna said:

I am just thinking stripped down code to the bare minimum to get it functional, doesn't need a lot of fancy code to start with. The HotRod Cats have a power armor suit sitting near the garage without any pieces of armor in it. It's stripped down to the bare minimum. Might be easier to start with that PA frame.

The code part isn't really the problem. Though, it is also a pain to follow what order the various commands need to be in to mount and dismount players. (Look at the source for this: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21899/ )

The problem for me is that there are a lot of non-code updates that need to be made in the CK. (Look at the same above mod with FO4Edit). There have to be mount points on the actor. This means that it would probably break the ability to work with existing body mods or at least create a new dependency on a key file. There are a bunch of other areas that need updating because there is an involved system for handling entering and exiting mounts, setting conditions for allowing the mounting and so on. I did try to do all of this and somewhere along that long chain of requirements, something was off and it failed.

Eventually, I decided that it wasn't worth further effort because the only advantage was that it would use the game engine to prevent characters from running animations where they start clipping through objects. But, for what I wanted to do (run animations on furniture) that would be an obstacle rather than a benefit. With that I would need to turn the whole thing into a more complex process where characters mount actors and then the main actor snaps to a furniture separately. It adds a lot of things to manage in the code when I already found a solution that is more simple, direct and works the same for both open area and furniture animations.

If someone who knows how can make a detailed guide that outlines all of the steps required for the actor mount approach, I would consider giving it another test. But, the more I think about it, the more problematic it seems to be with a framework designed to easily scale and add new animations (you would have to add every new enter/exit mount animation in the CK, have it's settings correct there and then generate animTextData with a command line usage of creationkit.exe that many people don't know about. How many animators are going to do that?)

Archived