Do you have a mod idea you want to make a reality?

Its a simple question, right? No it is not. Because it takes a lot of planning, a lot of work and a lot of CK / scripting know-how to bring a concept to fully functioning mod.

But here's where I can help simplify this process. I have been helping, directly and indirectly with a few of the current round of FP-enabled mods and it has me thinking that there has to be more people out there, waiting to get a jump on things and make their mod-dream a mod-reality.

So this is what I am offering. To help you to help yourself, to make your mod. I will not make the mod for you. I will mentor you, offer you insight into the CK, the game engine and scripting. I state flat out that in some things, I have zero practical knowledge and will not be of use for (model conversions or nifscope related).

1. Throw out your idea of a mod that YOU want to make. As in, you make it, in the CK.
  2. I will tell you if it is not possible and more importantly why. With that, perhaps you can realign your vision to be plausible within the game engine limits.
  3. I will mentor you - you have questions, I have answers. You want knowledge, I have loads.
  4. I will help you (soft help) to turn your vision into a working product.

You need:

1. To be willing to do the work.
  2. To be capable of doing research via the CK wiki and other support sites (nexus modders forum, reddit, etc).
  3. To be capable of reading papyrus source code, even if just to grasp the logic flow. Knowledge of functions grows with exposure and practice.
  4.  To understand and accept that I have my own projects on the go, so I cannot be a 24/7 god up on high.
  5. To be committed to starting and finishing your project because I dont want to invest my time in you, if you are just going to vanish into the shadows.
  6. Have an understanding of textures and materials. Have access to Photoshop and the Nvidia DDS export tool.
  7. Have the CK installed and a base understanding of navigating in it.

If you need to know what I have to offer in terms of skillsets, look no further than RSE. That should be enough...

So this is on you. Think long and hard before you commit to throwing your name and idea into the ring. Do you have what it takes to learn, to build and to release your mod upon the LL community? If so, I await your ideas....

Thank you for doing this. It's a generous offer. I hope it results in some modders moving forward.

I already have a lot of experience, specific mod ideas and the willingness to see them through. I'm just held back by a few missing items in areas that I don't have experience in (or inclination for).

Specifically:

1. There isn't a male body with an animateable schlong. We are close to having this with a skeleton already and Leito mentioned that he would eventually try rigging his mesh to it. But, without that, I don't want to make a bunch of animations with the vanilla skeleton only to have to throw them away when the new body/skeleton gets used.

2. I know several programming languages. But, C++ isn't one of them. There are a few basic plugins that we had for SKSE. But, are missing for F4SE: node controls (NiOverride), way to write and load text files (MiscUtil), a way to override packages (ActorUtil) without keywords and quests.

I imagine there are others like me who are just waiting for a few things like this to show up before moving ahead with plans.

A proper HDT plug-in would probably be a huge motivator for new modder effort as well.

Well this sounds awesome! Thanks for taking the time. 

Here's what I want to make. It's a relatively simple mod I think.

1. I want to make a new object called a 'body bag'. I don't mind if it uses an already existing model from the game (dufflebag comes to mind).

2. I want the player to be able to store a corpse inside that bag, carry it around, and deposit it where ever he/she wants (much like how knockout framework does it with live bodies).

And thats all!

1 hour ago, PsychoFox said:

Well this sounds awesome! Thanks for taking the time. 

Here's what I want to make. It's a relatively simple mod I think.

1. I want to make a new object called a 'body bag'. I don't mind if it uses an already existing model from the game (dufflebag comes to mind).

2. I want the player to be able to store a corpse inside that bag, carry it around, and deposit it where ever he/she wants (much like how knockout framework does it with live bodies).

And thats all!

This is completely doable. And, as you said, all that would need to be done is to look at how Knockout Framework does it and change it from a knocked out NPC to a dead one. I would say the first step is perhaps to not recreate the wheel but reach out to Seb (KOF author) and see if you can repurpose some of the code and the nif for the body bag. Ive found Seb to be a most agreeable person so I shouldnt think it unlikable that he'd be opposed.

Regardless of that outcome I foresee a few things that need to be put into place to make such a thing work:

1. Quest to house the main script.
  2. Quest to ref alias fill the corpse so you can act upon it in a script.
  3. Scripting to remove the body from the world, add a duffle to the characters back (using backpack slot or slotless) and then deposit body where dropped.
  4. Obviously a NIF of the body bag that attaches to the players back.

Once these are sorted, you should have a functional mod. But honestly, I would suggest first reaching out to Seb to see if you can utilize and KOF assets.

29 minutes ago, Flashy (JoeR) said:

This is completely doable. And, as you said, all that would need to be done is to look at how Knockout Framework does it and change it from a knocked out NPC to a dead one. I would say the first step is perhaps to not recreate the wheel but reach out to Seb (KOF author) and see if you can repurpose some of the code and the nif for the body bag. Ive found Seb to be a most agreeable person so I shouldnt think it unlikable that he'd be opposed.

Regardless of that outcome I foresee a few things that need to be put into place to make such a thing work:

1. Quest to house the main script.
  2. Quest to ref alias fill the corpse so you can act upon it in a script.
  3. Scripting to remove the body from the world, add a duffle to the characters back (using backpack slot or slotless) and then deposit body where dropped.
  4. Obviously a NIF of the body bag that attaches to the players back.

Once these are sorted, you should have a functional mod. But honestly, I would suggest first reaching out to Seb to see if you can utilize and KOF assets.

Well thanks for the response. I've never even used CK before today so I think I should spend some time getting used to it first. Looking at the KF mod, I see that it is way more complicated than I though. There are all sorts of scripts running to achieve the simplest outcomes. However only a few items apply to the mod I want to make. First there is an element that needs to popup when the cursor hovers over a dead body (the usual press 'X' button to run script). This script needs to store the NPC, and then add a new armor piece (the dufflebag) to the player. Later, another script needs to be run when unequipping the bag to release the body. Since I have no understanding of how Papayrus scripts are handled, where should I go to learn more about it (syntax, compilation, how to attach them to objects in CK etc.)?

Thanks again for the help!

6 minutes ago, PsychoFox said:

Well thanks for the response. I've never even used CK before today so I think I should spend some time getting used to it first. Looking at the KF mod, I see that it is way more complicated than I though. There are all sorts of scripts running to achieve the simplest outcomes. However only a few items apply to the mod I want to make. First there is an element that needs to popup when the cursor hovers over a dead body (the usual press 'X' button to run script). This script needs to store the NPC, and then add a new armor piece (the dufflebag) to the player. Later, another script needs to be run when unequipping the bag to release the body. Since I have no understanding of how Papayrus scripts are handled, where should I go to learn more about it (syntax, compilation, how to attach them to objects in CK etc.)?

Thanks again for the help!

The hover popup is really easy... its just a perk with an entry level 'Activate' function. So in essence, you give this perk to the player on mod install. So that when they highlight a corpse, they get the secondary activate button. To set the perk up is easy. You simply create a perk. Then add an ACTIVATE entry level which is a whole other window of options. You put a condition in the entry level for GetDead == 1 (meaning, they are dead) and another for actor type being an NPC. In this way, when you hover over say, a door, the option will not pop up. But when you hover over a dead raider, the popup will show.

As for scripting, the best way is to look at other people's source code to grasp basic things such as functions and events. Use the CK wiki. I use it extensively! Also the nexus forums are a great resource as is the skyrim modders forum on the nexus, since the papyrus functions are identical.

As an example:

Here is the perk with added entry level.

Capture.JPG.f85d11ead5044e7729f4e0ae89090661.JPG

And here is the basic entry level, which will give a PICKUP CORPSE option to the player when target is an ACTOR, is HUMAN and is DEAD.

Capture.thumb.JPG.15d36ff6032eefa528e3bbd05089ae40.JPG

Granted, in order for this to do something, you need to add a Papyrus Fragment to trigger the event. But that is a little more complex and requires a functional quest based script to deal with the actual actions of pickup, add body bag, etc...

Hello Flashy.

First time with CK here.

Im trying to make a Adult Quest Mod. Everything its planned and i got everything ready with the dialogues but i'm stuck with the scripting part.

- During the conversation the player answer something to a custom NPC.

- The NPC goes to a vanilla room and sit on a couch waiting for the player.(i think the script for this action its MoveToInteractionLocation or PathToReference but i don't know how to use it the wiki example it's no so clear to me.)

- The NPC start dialogue asking the player to undress.

- Start Scene NPC with the player on bed with custom animation (it's possible?)

- The NPC ask to player something with custom animation ongoing and open the player dialogue tree (it's possible?).

- Player choose an answer and the animation change.

At the moment i tried my best to learn papyrus and watching video tutorial of Seddon.

i will be very grateful for some advices

Thank You!

1 hour ago, Flashy (JoeR) said:

As an example:

Here is the perk with added entry level.

Capture.JPG.f85d11ead5044e7729f4e0ae89090661.JPG

And here is the basic entry level, which will give a PICKUP CORPSE option to the player when target is an ACTOR, is HUMAN and is DEAD.

Capture.thumb.JPG.15d36ff6032eefa528e3bbd05089ae40.JPG

Granted, in order for this to do something, you need to add a Papyrus Fragment to trigger the event. But that is a little more complex and requires a functional quest based script to deal with the actual actions of pickup, add body bag, etc...

I've setup the perk just as you show here but I can't get the prompt to show up in the game. I'm guessing I need to define what key needs to be pressed but I don't know how. Here's how I've set up the perk:

perk.png

If I can get the prompt to show up and trigger properly, then all that is left is attach the script. I've already contacted the author of KF for permissions and guidance. 

26 minutes ago, PsychoFox said:

If I can get the prompt to show up and trigger properly, then all that is left is attach the script. I've already contacted the author of KF for permissions and guidance. 

You need to give the player the perk too, right? Otherwise the game wont know to use this...

1 hour ago, geraldofrivia said:

Hello Flashy.

First time with CK here.

Im trying to make a Adult Quest Mod. Everything its planned and i got everything ready with the dialogues but i'm stuck with the scripting part.

- The NPC goes to a vanilla room and sit on a couch waiting for the player.(i think the script for this action its MoveToInteractionLocation or PathToReference but i don't know how to use it the wiki example it's no so clear to me.)

- The NPC ask to player something with custom animation ongoing and open the player dialogue tree (it's possible?).

At the moment i tried my best to learn papyrus and watching video tutorial of Seddon.

Thank You!

This is doable and a little complex. Let me stew on it a bit and I will circle back to you.

14 minutes ago, Flashy (JoeR) said:

You need to give the player the perk too, right? Otherwise the game wont know to use this...

Yes I did that already. The prompt doesn't show up. There's only the activate and transfer options, as before.

6 minutes ago, PsychoFox said:

Yes I did that already. The prompt doesn't show up. There's only the activate and transfer options, as before.

This is likely a conflict with the vanilla inventory system that I would need to dig into, which I should have considered before. Let me look into this and circle back to you...

In the interim, try adding a checkmark on the REPLACE DEFAULT, which causes the Entry Level to replace ACTIVATE instead of adding a second option...

Okay. Definitely a conflict with the vanilla inventory system - I will examine the source code and see how this functions and if there is a method to intercept and supercede it.

1 minute ago, Flashy (JoeR) said:

Okay. Definitely a conflict with the vanilla inventory system - I will examine the source code and see how this functions and if there is a method to intercept and supercede it.

NICCEE :smiley:

21 minutes ago, PsychoFox said:

NICCEE :smiley:

I think I found the problem and I should have looked at your screenshots closer.

Go into your entry level on the perk. You see your conditions??? They are on the wrong tab. These three conditions need to be on the TARGET TAB not the perk owner tab. My example had the conditions on the TARGET tab... ;)

Perk Owner = player in this case, and for sure the player is not dead, is human and is an actor. So... remove them from Perk Owner and put onto Target. Easiest way? Highlight one of them and right click, selecting copy all conditions. Go to TARGET tab and right click, paste conditions.... then go back to perk owner and remove them all.

11 minutes ago, Flashy (JoeR) said:

I think I found the problem and I should have looked at your screenshots closer.

Go into your entry level on the perk. You see your conditions??? They are on the wrong tab. These three conditions need to be on the TARGET TAB not the perk owner tab. My example had the conditions on the TARGET tab... ;)

Perk Owner = player in this case, and for sure the player is not dead, is human and is an actor. So... remove them from Perk Owner and put onto Target. Easiest way? Highlight one of them and right click, selecting copy all conditions. Go to TARGET tab and right click, paste conditions.... then go back to perk owner and remove them all.

Sweet! It works both as replacer and additional option. Lovely. Now I just need the script from Seb. The way I see it, I should be able to use his script with minimal (if any) changes. 

2 minutes ago, Flashy (JoeR) said:

I knew this thread was 1) a good idea and 2) was going to be fruitful. :smile:

It's very cool of you to do this :smile: Requires a lot of patience. 

2 hours ago, geraldofrivia said:

Hello Flashy.

First time with CK here.

Thank You!

Alright....lets see what we can do here. Im going to notify my items based on your dashes (-).

1. Easy enough. Conversation occurs at end of which we trigger a scripted event via Quest Stage fragment or TopicInfo fragment.
  2. Is this a generic room anywhere in the world space or ONE specific location? Specific is easiest, generic is script heavy, possibly.
  3. Easy enough. Undressing can be accomplished via scripting which is easier than tracking when the player is actually nude.
  4. You can force the player to the bed with a fourplay call (if sex animation related). Otherwise, you need to build a loose anim file into the humanrace subgraph.
  5. Dialogue tree cannot be opened in this manner, that I am aware of - the two systems (playidle) and (dialogue) operate in exclusion to one another.
  6. Ties into the above.

Now this doesnt make it impossible. You just need to space out the anims and the dialogue. As in, NPC tells player to do something, they do it. When it finishes, you can have the NPC tell the player to do something else and then enact that. It breaks up your flow somewhat, but this, as far as I am aware, is the only way to make your #5 and #6 work.

About generic location Vs specific location. The reason its easier in a specific location is because you can use a ref alias to point to a specific piece of furniture than than relying on a script or ref alias that may not find one at all due to conditions. This is one of those things that gets tricky, searching for an object reference. Not undoable by any means, just a little more intensive than having a set piece. If youve played RSE, you may have seen I place a chair in Diamond City on the stage so the player can suffer Redemption humiliations. This is a forced reference to ONE unique piece of furniture. it requires THREE reference aliases to do it. Imagine now trying to fill refs for any old piece of furniture in the Commonwealth. Again, not impossible, just more challenging...

Thank you so much for your tips Flashy.

1. Im going to learn this right away.

2. its a room on dukov inn and a specific furniture only to wait the player stay front of him/her and ready to talk a new topic.

3. working on it.

4. Thank you but i don't want to touch Fourplay at the moment, i'm going to build a loose animation :).

5. Damn. What about the npc talk to the player then a menu appear with some choices, select one then the player talk and the animation change?

something link this?
https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/1151/images/14253-0-1465589859.jpg

And again thank you!

4 minutes ago, geraldofrivia said:

Thank you so much for your tips Flashy.

1. Im going to learn this right away.

2. its a room on dukov inn and a specific furniture only to wait the player stay front of him/her and ready to talk a new topic.

3. working on it.

4. Thank you but i don't want to touch Fourplay at the moment, i'm going to build a loose animation :).

5. Damn. What about the npc talk to the player then a menu appear with some choices, select one then the player talk and the animation change?

something link this?
https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/1151/images/14253-0-1465589859.jpg

And again thank you!

That #5 thing is possible, yes. Thats a MESSAGE form. You just create the message as a message box with selection options in it. Then you need script it in this way:

playIdle

wait x seconds

popup the message

script in the conditions based on selected option

Quite simple. It would look something like this:

playerRef.PlayIdle(sexypose)

Utility.Wait(10) <-- 10 seconds realtime

Int ibut = MESSAGENAME.show()

If ibut == 0

{choice 0 options and outcomes here}

Elseif ibut == 1

{choice 1 options and outcomes here}

Endif

This is of course highly simplified, but you get the gist I am sure...

1 hour ago, Flashy (JoeR) said:

I knew this thread was 1) a good idea and 2) was going to be fruitful. :smile:

Indeed! This process of adding the perk actions is a new one to me (didn't have this in Skyrim). I had been planning on building custom flash files for a similar result. So, this saves time.

Archived