SE Compatibility Tracking (Apr 23)

Got my stuff caught up.

• Added: Achievements Mods Enabler - added back to the list
  • Edited: SKSE64 - the preliminary AE version does not load plugins yet
  • Edited: SSE Engine Fixes - unmarked as using Address Library because parts of it do not
  • SKSE-based mod list is in flux. Check the list at the top of the first post for updates.

Some important notes:

- SKSE's "preliminary version" is mostly a preview for mod authors. It does not actually load plugins so no SKSE mods at all will work - except a couple which use custom loaders.

- Some mods that have "updated" have only done so by building their plugin against the updated SKSE code. So again, they will not load in the game.

- SSE Engine Fixes's current maintainer (Fudgyduff) and original author (aers) have both said that they do not intend to update any of their mods to AE.

Edited by tasairis
  • tasairis changed the title to SE Compatibility Tracking (Nov 12 #6510) - AE is here, SKSE is WIP
57 minutes ago, tasairis said:

Got my stuff caught up.

• Added: Achievements Mods Enabler - added back to the list
  • Edited: SKSE64 - the preliminary AE version does not load plugins yet
  • Edited: SSE Engine Fixes - unmarked as using Address Library because parts of it do not
  • SKSE-based mod list is in flux. Check the list at the top of the first post for updates.

Some important notes:

- SKSE's "preliminary version" is mostly a preview for mod authors. It does not actually load plugins so no SKSE mods at all will work - except a couple which use custom loaders.

- Some mods that have "updated" have only done so by building their plugin against the updated SKSE code. So again, they will not load in the game.

- SSE Engine Fixes's current maintainer (Fudgyduff) and original author (aers) have both said that they do not intend to update any of their mods to AE.

Related to SSE Engine fixes, are those fixes even still needed in AE?

11 minutes ago, Tlam99 said:

If it's like that, then one can say AE, SE, LE are the same thing.

Is it listed as a new game? Does it make irreconcilable changes such as going from 32 bits to a 64 bits architecture? Does it require changes for files such as textures, meshes, bsa, and so on?

AE is just a new update for Skyrim SE, it changed the game version so a new SKSE is needed. Also most dll based mods will require an update. Same as many previous updates. The full AE (paid) is not a new version, but a DLC for the same Skyrim SE game with no new version or changes to base game files.

Edited by Just Don't

Technically speaking, Skyrim AE, which could be "AE the new version of the game they released for $40" or "AE the $20 paid upgrade to SE so I can get all the CC mods" or "AE the free upgrade to SE that gives me a couple CC mods", are all the same technology under the hood. Same executables, same data files. The only difference is how many CC mods you get and how much money to paid to get them.

So Skyrim AE (as in "I paid money for this") is a bundle containing Skyrim SE and the CC mods.

That's what I mean by "essentially the same thing".

Edited by tasairis
4 minutes ago, tasairis said:

Technically speaking, Skyrim AE, which could be "AE the new version of the game they released for $40" or "AE the $20 paid upgrade to SE so I can get all the CC mods" or "AE the free upgrade to SE that gives me a couple CC mods", are all the same technology under the hood. Same executables, same data files. The only difference is how many CC mods you get and how much money to paid to get them.

So Skyrim AE (as in "I paid money for this") is a bundle containing Skyrim SE and the CC mods.

Actually it's $50 USD.

And when I said "bundle" I didn't know it is literally a Steam bundle.

So AE is literally SE with the CC upgrade.

1 hour ago, tasairis said:

They are the same, I agree there

But will you be keeping track of what mods are and aren't compatible with the current version? (basically, what is Pre and Post AE)

1 hour ago, tasairis said:

And things were going so well for almost 2 years before Bethesda decided to screw up with the game once again...

This time even Address Library (a key mod that allowed many SKSE mods to be version-independent) got screwed and will need an update. If someone manages to update it.

I'm expecting no less than a few months before people being able to update to AE safely (if they decide to update the game of course)

2 hours ago, tasairis said:

So if I understand this correctly, if a mod uses Skyrim SE assets, and nothing with AE, it'll work with both SE & AE. However, if a mod uses AE assets, then it'll work with just AE and not with SE?

E.g. a mod that effects fishing.  

SE is basically gone weather you bought the upgrade or not, if your system updates you get the AE patch which has the new library and breaks all the SE mods  you just don't get all the content,  so the question is will this Thread become the AE compatibility tracking  post or will a new AE tracking post be made?

Edited by Ironeater
2 hours ago, tasairis said:

Actually it's $50 USD.

I don't think so. The release notes suggest some other changes with the very vague:

• General performance optimizations
  • Minor art and lighting fixes

I've not found any more info on what those actually entail.

ok if you own SE and you Update grats you now have AE with the new engine that changes all the librarys and such and breaks skse you also get Fishing, Saints and seducers, rare curios and survival mode out of CC  for free the $20 upgrade unlocks all the other CC stuff and for any one that dosent own Skyrim for $50 you get skyrim AE plus the AE update with all the CC stuff  thats of i understand it at the moment

3 hours ago, AnInsaneMoose said:

They are the same, I agree there

But will you be keeping track of what mods are and aren't compatible with the current version? (basically, what is Pre and Post AE)

1.5.97 and 1.6.318 separately? No. Most everything was available for the former anyways.

3 hours ago, Darkblendjoe said:

So if I understand this correctly, if a mod uses Skyrim SE assets, and nothing with AE, it'll work with both SE & AE. However, if a mod uses AE assets, then it'll work with just AE and not with SE?

E.g. a mod that effects fishing.  

No.

AE is a free DLC for SE. Mods that depend on the assets in that DLC will require you to have that DLC in order to use them. Mods that do not depend on the assets in that DLC will not care either way.

2 hours ago, Ironeater said:

SE is basically gone weather you bought the upgrade or not, if your system updates you get the AE patch which has the new library and breaks all the SE mods  you just don't get all the content,  so the question is will this Thread become the AE compatibility tracking  post or will a new AE tracking post be made?

Depends what the Skyrim community as a whole decides to call the post-1.6.318 version of the game, and whether they draw a distinction between the (paid) SE and AE versions.

Because, again, they're the same. Just like how original Skyrim+DLCs and Skyrim "Legendary Edition" are the same.