SE Compatibility Tracking (Mar 26)

1 minute ago, nomkaz said:

With a new install of Steam it will update your game automatically

Actually I would say it differently: Steam will recognize games in its folder(s), but from OS point of view - game will not be treated as installed until it is installed - no registry keys otherwise. So some tools and skse plugins that rely on registry my start acting weird.

PS:

Nothing worth keeping should ever be installed on system partition (or even a disk) - can't agree more ;)

Portability seems to be an enemy of M$ - they've done a lot to make it difficult

24 minutes ago, PippinTom said:

Actually I would say it differently: Steam will recognize games in its folder(s), but from OS point of view - game will not be treated as installed until it is installed - no registry keys otherwise. So some tools and skse plugins that rely on registry my start acting weird.

PS:

Nothing worth keeping should ever be installed on system partition (or even a disk) - can't agree more ;)

Portability seems to be an enemy of M$ - they've done a lot to make it difficult

Steam seemed to automatically update the registry when it was told where the game files were in Windows 7, but I had to get out of the Windows 11 beta program because the nightly builds were too damn unstable so I had to reinstall Windows 10, and then Steam wanted to "reinstall" all my games even thought they were already there, but it didn't really effect my game folder anymore than "verify Local Files" does. Oh how soon I forget newer information. ;p

12 minutes ago, sanya56714 said:

is the anniversary edition a must?

Its probably something you want to avoid unless you don't use many mods and the ones you use work with it.  Which for many mods won't be the case.  You have to keep Skyrim from updating to avoid it though.   In Steam set it to only update when launching the game, and then never launch the game from Steam, instead launh using SKSE.  You could also backup your game or parts of it (the exe in particular but maybe more), and you could even only play Skyrim with Steam in offline mode.

5 minutes ago, axz2 said:

Это, вероятно, то, чего вы хотите избежать, если вы не используете много модов, и те, которые вы используете, работают с этим. Что для многих модов не так. Вы должны не допускать обновлений Skyrim, чтобы этого не произошло. В Steam установите для него обновление только при запуске игры, а затем никогда не запускайте игру из Steam, вместо этого запускайте с помощью SKSE. Вы также можете сделать резервную копию своей игры или ее частей (в частности, exe, но может быть и больше), и вы даже можете играть в Skyrim только со Steam в автономном режиме.

and if this version works fine?

Edited by sanya56714
4 hours ago, sanya56714 said:

and if this version works fine?

You'll be OK not updating for awhile, but the modding community is going to eventually incorporate the new version once SKSE64 and other dependent libraries are made compatible.  If you don't eventually update, you'll get left behind and may not be able to use newer SKSE64 mods that don't support earlier versions.

6 hours ago, sanya56714 said:

is the anniversary edition a must?

The update for .net 2019 is yes, but the actual Anniversary Edition you will have to buy. But take everyone else' ad ise, don't update until the SKSE64 and all your mods will .dlls are updated for it. in the meantime: Use Skyrim .EXE Backup so if you accidently get updated you can revert the .exe easily.

Some updates for the next tracking list:

Failure Mode Effects Analysis in Skyrim has been ported to SSE, mod page remains the same.

Devious Arachnophobia works as is, no need to convert it.

SoS Snake Cock Addon is convertable, just throw it in CAO and it's fine.

Dragonborn in Distress is obsolete. The author had split the mod in other two mods: Peril and Corruption. I haven't tested those yet.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:45 PM, nomkaz said:

The update for .net 2019 is yes, but the actual Anniversary Edition you will have to buy.

...if you don't already own SE yet.

There's two flavors of the AE version. As far as I've heard:

Skyrim SE Skyrim AE
Price Free upgrade At least $40 USD, probably more
Fishing Yes Yes
Survival Mode Yes? Yes
Saints and Seducers (CC) Yes? Yes
Other CC mods No Most if not all
Edited by tasairis

Annnd breathe out...

This is the last big "green checkmarks" update, I think. Upcoming updates will focus more on the unported stuff.

• tasairis changed the title to SE Compatibility Tracking (Oct 25 #6468)
On 10/26/2021 at 4:17 AM, 4nk8r said:

The LL reference is very old and outdated.  Should probably use the NexusMods link instead.

Yeah. It's actually supposed to have two links there, and if it doesn't then it means others with multiple links don't either, but I should just drop the LL one entirely anyways.

So, we have no choice but to upgrade to Anniversary Edition when it drops? I mean, of course we keep auto-updates off but that will only stall things until everything's been prepared. In the end, we just have to upgrade and grit our teeth?

49 minutes ago, JimKhan said:

So, we have no choice but to upgrade to Anniversary Edition when it drops? I mean, of course we keep auto-updates off but that will only stall things until everything's been prepared. In the end, we just have to upgrade and grit our teeth?

It's no different from the forced CC updates....

4 minutes ago, JimKhan said:

I see. Well, it can't be helped in that case, I guess.

I'm fairly certain that all the earlier versions of Skyrim SE are still available to downgrade to via the Steam console using the right commands and version numbers.  The problem with moving to or sticking with an older version is you eventually are left behind by the community once they do adopt the new version.  This mostly applies to DLL-based mods.  Then there are the developers that refuse to even keep older versions of mods available for download. 

4 hours ago, 4nk8r said:

I'm fairly certain that all the earlier versions of Skyrim SE are still available to downgrade to via the Steam console using the right commands and version numbers.  The problem with moving to or sticking with an older version is you eventually are left behind by the community once they do adopt the new version.  This mostly applies to DLL-based mods.  Then there are the developers that refuse to even keep older versions of mods available for download. 

Valve is fucking with the ability to get older builds though so...

6 hours ago, peculiaris said:

Update: Valve has released a statement saying “We are actually not planning to disable downloading old builds. What we are working on is an approach on handling edge cases involving unowned content, and helping partners more easily take down builds that need to be removed for things like copyright issues. We’ll have more to share on that work when it’s ready to ship.”

I know everybody loves knee-jerk reactions in this 24-hour news cycle we've gotten used to, but come on.

Edited by tasairis