SE Compatibility Tracking (Apr 16)

1 hour ago, Electric Aether said:

How is the modding situation going? I haven't updated to AE Yet.

There is a reason why the "share your sexy pics" thread in SSE is quite dead, while in Oldrim it's very active. Always a good indicator what's being played.

Might even be a good idea for an admin to check in what game section of the board people are most active - but that be more of a business idea.

1 hour ago, Swiftstep said:

There is a reason why the "share your sexy pics" thread in SSE is quite dead, while in Oldrim it's very active. Always a good indicator what's being played.

Might even be a good idea for an admin to check in what game section of the board people are most active - but that be more of a business idea.

I, too, can pick and choose what metrics to cite that will support my beliefs.

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=skyrim

image.png

8 hours ago, Pfiffy said:

Jay! the DD-Team can start to work... any news on Fuz-Ro-D'oh? I need it for especially for TDF...

I ran into issues doing it myself and asked pugwash for help. He gave me a preliminary DLL for DD that loads successfully per logs, but functionality has not been tested. It took a few tries to get that far. I'll probably do in game testing over the weekend or when I go on vacation in two weeks. If someone wants to test sooner, they can hit me up on DM.

5 hours ago, tasairis said:

I, too, can pick and choose what metrics to cite that will support my beliefs.

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=skyrim

image.png

This chart shows nothing relevant to what he meant. I don't think anyone disputes SE is better than LE - if you play unmodded. This is a modding site, post modding stats not normie stats. Ex: Nexus still shows LE is more used.

All you showed is a lot of people play SE, not how modded their games are. In the "sexy pics" thread people are showing off their modded game proving a lot more people are enjoying a modded LE game than SE.

Your picture is not that flattering anyways considering how much worse LE is to run than the 64 bit SE yet A LOT of people are still playing it, showing how much better modding support there is for it. Also you can't even buy LE for years and new users are funneled to use SE yet there still is a really impressive number playing LE only for the mods.

4 minutes ago, swmas said:

In the "sexy pics" thread people are showing off their modded game proving a lot more people are enjoying a modded LE game than SE.

This is an assumption - you are assuming most people who use mods post sexy pics, or that the same percentage of mod users for both post sexy pics.

There is no proof that this is true.

2 minutes ago, zarantha said:

This is an assumption - you are assuming most people who use mods post sexy pics, or that the same percentage of mod users for both post sexy pics.

There is no proof that this is true.

How else would you explain a smaller user base posting more than the so called majority.

But if you have doubts, just go to Nexus' main page and see for yourself or even go to LL's download section and see there are mostly LE ports made by the same couple of users offering little to no support and most of the discussions in the forums is how to make LE mods run on SE.

44 minutes ago, swmas said:

How else would you explain a smaller user base posting more than the so called majority.

But if you have doubts, just go to Nexus' main page and see for yourself or even go to LL's download section and see there are mostly LE ports made by the same couple of users offering little to no support and most of the discussions in the forums is how to make LE mods run on SE.

I would say that's a smaller group active in one particular portion of an ecosystem, not a representative of the whole.

1. On the nexus (and to a lesser extent LL) I see new mods every day and very few ports now on the SE side.  Most of the things that can be ported have been. What people are doing is making the mod for both versions, mostly because die hard LE people are asking for the new stuff. The few times I've gone to the LE side, there's been nothing substantial there, unless it was something that was posted simultaneously with SE.

2. Loverslab has a very high percentage of abandoned mods. Which means that yes, it is the same few volunteers converting mods, because most users won't invest the time needed to learn. (I want it now! and with no effort on my part! culture at work...) That doesn't mean the people converting know the inner workings or can accurately say what is going on with the mod. So for those abandoned mods, it's not right to blame the converters for not supporting when the author isn't even around to offer support for the LE version either.

This also has nothing to do with how many people use mods on either version.

3. For the mods that are maintained, it's up to the mod author on if they want a combined support thread or separate support threads, but there will be a high correlation of the same issues on both versions, so it is fine to say you need to ask on whichever thread the author is active on. I will say from my personal experience, the SE support thread for DD is more active than the LE thread, even with the author not being very active there. But that also doesn't prove the point that more people use SE or LE either. All it proves is that mod has more SE folks posting than LE. Which is exactly the same as your 'sexy pics' thread. All that means is more LE people are posting pictures on that particular thread. It has no bearing on the actual number of modders for either version.

The only way we'd know for sure which is more active is to look at the number of new mods or updates of existing mods for each version, as well as the traffic or downloads of each starting after SE's release. I'd even go further and to say to be fair, it would need to check stats after skse64's stable release, since we all know the community won't really invest until there's a working script extender available. But looking at one or two threads as a way of determining what is more active is not a good indicator.

This is all I meant by my initial comment. You cannot prove that SE is dead based on how many people are posting on a given thread.

What is happening right now is equivalent to the birthing pains SE originally had when it was released. It is the same damn thing, except that it's actually going faster this time. I take that as unequivocal proof that SE/AE is not dead. All we need are the key mods and skse to be updated for AE and then the SE/AE modding ecosystem will return to business as usual. [Edit: and by skse updated I mean we need something other than the current alpha release. There will be reasons why the skse team is saying do not upgrade just yet unless you don't have a choice. Just because it's there doesn't mean there aren't bugs that shouldn't be fixed before it goes into widespread use.]

As a side note, do you even realize how many times SE was declared dead in the early days? It felt like every other person bitching about change was saying that, yet here we are, arguing who's got more modders now...

Edited by zarantha
12 minutes ago, zarantha said:

I would say that's a smaller group active in one particular portion of an ecosystem, not a representative of the whole.

1. On the nexus (and to a lesser extent LL) I see new mods every day and very few ports now on the SE side.  Most of the things that can be ported have been. What people are doing is making the mod for both versions, mostly because die hard LE people are asking for the new stuff. The few times I've gone to the LE side, there's been nothing substantial there, unless it was something that was posted simultaneously with SE.

2. Loverslab has a very high percentage of abandoned mods. Which means that yes, it is the same few volunteers converting mods, because most users won't invest the time needed to learn. (I want it now! and with no effort on my part! culture at work...) That doesn't mean the people converting know the inner workings or can accurately say what is going on with the mod. So for those abandoned mods, it's not right to blame the converters for not supporting when the author isn't even around to offer support for the LE version either.

This also has nothing to do with how many people use mods on either version.

3. For the mods that are maintained, it's up to the mod author on if they want a combined support thread or separate support threads, but there will be a high correlation of the same issues on both versions, so it is fine to say you need to ask on whichever thread the author is active on. I will say from my personal experience, the SE support thread for DD is more active than the LE thread, even with the author not being very active there. But that also doesn't prove the point that more people use SE or LE either. All it proves is that mod has more SE folks posting than LE. Which is exactly the same as your 'sexy pics' thread. All that means is more LE people are posting pictures on that particular thread. It has no bearing on the actual number of modders for either version.

The only way we'd know for sure which is more active is to look at the number of new mods or updates of existing mods for each version, as well as the traffic or downloads of each starting after SE's release. I'd even go further and to say to be fair, it would need to check stats after skse64's stable release, since we all know the community won't really invest until there's a working script extender available. But looking at one or two threads as a way of determining what is more active is not a good indicator.

This is all I meant by my initial comment. You cannot prove that SE is dead based on how many people are posting on a given thread.

What is happening right now is equivalent to the birthing pains SE originally had when it was released. It is the same damn thing, except that it's actually going faster this time. I take that as unequivocal proof that SE/AE is not dead. All we need are the key mods and skse to be updated for AE and then the SE/AE modding ecosystem will return to business as usual. [Edit: and by skse updated I mean we need something other than the current alpha release. There will be reasons why the skse team is saying do not upgrade just yet unless you don't have a choice. Just because it's there doesn't mean there aren't bugs that shouldn't be fixed before it goes into widespread use.]

As a side note, do you even realize how many times SE was declared dead in the early days? It felt like every other person bitching about change was saying that, yet here we are, arguing who's got more modders now...

Why would you accept steam stats and not mod site stats? More users are taking screenshots of LE because the SE users are busy "updating" their mods over and over or just play with a bunch of 16k textures and think they are running a "heavily modded game". You can choose to believe it or not but by not showing you provable statistics doesn't make not right.

I didn't say SE is dead, you are exaggerating, I didn't blame the mod converters of anything either, again exaggerating what I said. I want SE to be better than LE, I use SE but it is what it is.

Of course there are new mods on SE since some important mods are no longer supporting LE like Sexlab and USKP but people who use LE don't do it for the new mods but for the old ones that can't be ported to SE and for them those are worth more than the new mods, that's the whole point of sticking to LE.

Also, you said it yourself, a lot of new mods are indeed being ported to LE so if you can have both old and new mods I can see the appeal.

I am a SE user, in an ideal world for modding people will switch to SE but not to AE. All AE did is move paid modding further while making SE modding harder.

2 minutes ago, swmas said:

Why would you accept steam stats and not mod site stats? More users are taking screenshots of LE because the SE users are busy "updating" their mods over and over or just play with a bunch of 16k textures and think they are running a "heavily modded game". You can choose to believe it or not but by not showing you provable statistics doesn't make not right.

I didn't say SE is dead, you are exaggerating, I didn't blame the mod converters of anything either, again exaggerating what I said. I want SE to be better than LE, I use SE but it is what it is.

Of course there are new mods on SE since some important mods are no longer supporting LE like Sexlab and USKP but people who use LE don't do it for the new mods but for the old ones that can't be ported to SE and for them those are worth more than the new mods, that's the whole point of sticking to LE.

Also, you said it yourself, a lot of new mods are indeed being ported to LE so if you can have both old and new mods I can see the appeal.

I am a SE user, in an ideal world for modding people will switch to SE but not to AE. All AE did is move paid modding further while making SE modding harder.

No, swiftstep is implying SE was dead, and tasairis responded to them saying stats can be made to say anything, and then you said those stats are shit (yes, i'm exaggerating) and now we're all piling on into one confusing mess. :) 

I'm fine with mod site stats, but no one has provided them. The only real stats that were given were the steam ones, however much you don't like them.

An unspecified number of posts on a specific thread in an unspecified time period is not a mod site stat for the scope of what was being claimed by swiftstep.

None of us here can say what the actual usage of this site is (aside from ashal and maybe mods), nor can we say how many people are actually playing what based on site posts.

But either way, the two are not related. number of posts does not mean that the people posting are the only people playing.

Looking at your response again, I may have misinterpreted some of what you said. But you also were reading a lot more into my post than what I said. All I said was assumptions were being made about how the thread posts relates to total usage. I stand by this. It is a huge assumption to say any site traffic or posts is an indicator of what is being played. I don't have a suggestion on what would be an indicator now, but that doesn't invalidate that all we've had besides the steam stats are people stating assumptions (I am included in this).

My assumption:

Modding is harder *right now*, but it will return to normal sooner rather than later. My original guess was a year after AE's release to return to normalcy, but things are already much further along than the comparable time after SE was first released. We'll probably see things start to settle down somewhere in the next 3 to 6 months.

*Adoption* of AE may be slower, but it will happen, as long as we get the basics, and we're very quickly getting there.

I am actually playing in both SE and AE, when I can actually play instead of work on an update that was in the works before AE was released.

Hey, I didn't meant to start a debate on it. This is was a very subjective, therefor maybe not reliable, observation.

The point simply was: if people don't show / share their pics, it's obvious that modded SE isn't working as it was before patch day. You could also check the "technical issues" SE subsection - same result, I guess.

There is no higher meaning to it. And as the mod posted, LL can check the stats of user activity. Might be useful should a modder asks where to best put ads / patreon requests and stuff. Like in: right now, if you want attention, it's best not to try it in SE since the last patch disabled the whole modding community - for the moment.

With the exception of the mod authors that need to do preliminary builds to test things in preparation for a final version, you're all very likely wasting your time and effort messing with AE.  SKSE64 isn't even fully baked yet.  From the skse.silverlock.org:

"The link below is a preliminary build of SKSE64 with support for Skyrim SE 1.6.318, aka the Anniversary Edition. The plugin manager has been updated with a new versioning system to handle post-AE plugins. If you are a plugin developer, please read PluginAPI.h for the breaking change regarding how plugins report their versions and compatibility with different runtimes.
If you have an existing mod setup on pre-AE that you would like to keep working, this is not a sign that you should upgrade and start using this version of SKSE. However, if you have already upgraded to AE and are feeling adventurous, then try this out."

Even if MicroBethesdaSoft-N-Floppy doesn't update things again any time soon, the SKSE team is likely to roll out another update on its own...likely breaking all your precious DLL goodies once again.

Edited by 4nk8r
1.6.323 being a later version than 1.6.318 doesn't change the Alpha nature of the existing AE version of SKSE.

How's SkyUI working with AE? I recall reading that it would need an update for this but last I checked the Nexus page, it's supposed to work fine as is and whatever problems are there are due to SKSE still being in a prelim status.

Edited by JimKhan
43 minutes ago, JimKhan said:

How's SkyUI working with AE? I recall reading that it would need an update for this but last I checked the Nexus page, it's supposed to work fine as is and whatever problems are there are due to SKSE still being in a prelim status.

SkyUI basically never needs updates when the game changes, except possibly in situations where Bethesda changes the UI files for some reason (and I don't remember any examples of this happening). Last I knew it was still working fine.

4 hours ago, Vachnic said:

Maybe it got snowed under in the LE/SE/AE yawn fest/ discussion, but Racemenu has a beta version on Expired's github: version 0.4.19.3 AE. My pixel puppet has eyebrows again! YAY! If anyone is using High Poly Head, this works again as well now as is.

Like with JContainers, I'm giving it a few days to get out of the "expect bugs or broken functionality" state before I update it on the list.

There haven't been any additional patch versions since 0.4.19.3 a couple days ago so that could be a good sign.

2 hours ago, tasairis said:

SkyUI basically never needs updates when the game changes, except possibly in situations where Bethesda changes the UI files for some reason (and I don't remember any examples of this happening). Last I knew it was still working fine.

Fine work, thank you.

• tasairis changed the title to SE Compatibility Tracking (Dec 5 #6744) - SE 1.6.323, SKSE 2.1.3, JC officially released

I keep wondering: does SoS AE work with other mods that the old SE version did? Like does it work with Tempered Skins for Males SoS full version without need for an update? I also remember XPMSE had a plugin for SoS SE. I haven't seen any issues mentioned with either so I assume it does.

Edited by JimKhan
1 hour ago, JimKhan said:

I keep wondering: does SoS AE work with other mods that the old SE version did? Like does it work with Tempered Skins for Males SoS full version without need for an update? I also remember XPMSE had a plugin for SoS SE. I haven't seen any issues mentioned with either so I assume it does.

Given that SoS AE only updates the DLL, it should be just as compatible with stuff as it was before. But you do still need a new save to use it.

• tasairis changed the title to SE Compatibility Tracking (Dec 5 #6744) - new update SE 1.6.342