SE Compatibility Tracking (Mar 26)

1 hour ago, dovahnurse said:

Except for a few youtubers showcasing the new material, yes. I have no need of added armours until they get a 3BA skimpy patch.

A few of them already have you covered (or uncovered, as it were):

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57508

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57510

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57511

5 hours ago, anye151 said:

JContainer is updated on Github, I can use Creature Framework

Yes, but it's a pre-release. If the author thought it was done then it would be on Nexus. I'll hold off one more day before I call it updated-but-in-alpha.

I had issue with Jcontainers 4.2 AE.  I removed "Run For Your Lives" mod.  Was causing issues with Ralof and Gerdur in the beginning.  I could tell it was that mod.  Ralof was afraid of the wolves.  He also paused a few times on the way to and in town.  Saying how are you doing my friend and nice to see you again.  Then once, after a few pauses, he runs yelling help.  Then Gerdur attacks me with dagger.  Removed that mod and it worked.  Going to remove Jcontainers for now and put Run For Your Lives back in.  So I would listen to tasairis and wait for a "good" release of Jcontainers.  I hope I saved someone some trouble in the meantime.  :)  

On 11/29/2021 at 9:33 PM, nomkaz said:

Am I the only one that actually bought the full version of AE?  While still protecting my 1.5.97 game folder, of course... lol

I haven't, but when I do it'll most likely be for console. For PC, I'm in the AE update waiting room for a lot of things sadly.

I tossed this idea out in another post a couple of weeks ago as a theoretical, but I decided to put it to the test.  Since Vortex can install files above Data, at the same level of the EXE's (mod type "Engine Injector" or "ENB"), I theorized it was possible to turn the entire SkyrimSE install into mods managed by Vortex.

It works...with some trickery in Vortex.  I'm update proof now.  No matter what Steam decides to do, I can recover from it painlessly by simply redeploying again.  Works amazingly well, though my game interface is more AE-esque than I'd like.  Need to look into how to fix that.  My regular install still had the 1.5.97 UI look, so I still need to work that out.  Not that the AE UI doesn't work, I just don't like the default behavior.  I'm sure there's a mod for that ;)

I'm not going to describe all the steps with how, because I'm a lazy fuck, but I feel like someone out there can benefit from the concept and will be able to work out the grey areas I didn't mention. I will, however, share some stuff worth noting.

Spoiler

When turning the downloaded depots into mods/zips for install into Vortex, combine the 1.5.97 skyrimse.exe and data depots together, but just the content without the Data directory.  While Vortex will allow writing above Data, it won't allow both writing above Data and writing WITHIN Data in the same mod (at least using Engine Injector...didn't try ENB).  You have to split Data out into its own zip.

If you're going for a pure 1.5.97 install with nothing of 1.6.x included, move the 1.5.97 Data folder somewhere else and roll it up into its own zip to be included as one of your mods.  This separates all the EXE/DLL/INI files and Data into 2 mods.

If you're going to blend 1.6x data files and maybe also the free CC content (fishing, survival mode), don't install the 1.5.97 Data folder mod...install the 1.6.323 one instead (discard/move everything EXCEPT the Data folder, for this one).

The free CC additional stuff doesn't require any special handling before zipping/install.

Only the mod containing the EXE/DLL/INI files needs to be flagged "Engine Injector".  Don't Enable the mod during initial install.  Select Disabled for initial install, then flag it Engine Injector, then Enable.  Vortex won't allow you to flag the mod as Engine Injector if it isn't installed (meaning the zip is there, but not staged), and going direct to Enabled will incorrectly install everything into Data instead of above it.  If you mess up, just Disable, change the mod type and then Enable again.

Install the Data and CC parts like any other mod.

Purge your mods in Vortex before trying to switch Vortex over to the "empty" game folder.

Vortex won't allow you to manage a completely empty game directory.  It expects the game EXE's and a Data folder, at a minimum, to exist when it starts, so you need to either put a copy of the real SkyrimSE.exe, SkyrimLauncher.exe and an empty Data folder, or you can create empty text files there and rename them as such (I actually did something even geekier, but the rename option is closest to what I did).

If you don't create the fake EXEs and empty Data folder, when next started Vortex will "forget" your SkyrimSE install and be in a mode where it isn't managing any game (the profiles you've created are still there).  Don't panic, just shut down Vortex and finish faking the install before starting Vortex again, or just move your original game dir back into place, step away from the keyboard and take some deep breaths ;)  If Vortex "forgot" and went into unmanaged mode, once Vortex is running with the fake install in place, select Games and SkyrimSE and Vortex will deploy everything that is flagged Enabled in whichever profile was last active for SkyrimSE (or maybe just Default...not sure, I was using Default).  Restart Vortex once more deploy to smooth out any issues.

Even when you do those steps correctly, you'll see some errors on Vortex startup (missing interface.bsa, fontconfig, some other minor).  I just ignored those and was able to deploy everything like I'd hoped.  Once you deploy the 3 mods that comprise the game, everything starts working and the errors stop.  Just give Vortex 1 more restart and everything smooths out.  Starting the game via SKSE64 launcher worked great (SKSE64 is installed as a mod as well)

Edited by 4nk8r
fixing typos
  • tasairis changed the title to SE Compatibility Tracking (Nov 25 #6683) - SE 1.6.323, SKSE 2.1.3, almost halfway there
9 hours ago, dovahnurse said:

WE already knew there would be more updates from Bethesdad. There are numerous issues they still haven't patches out.

Is that the Royal "We"?

Edited by 4nk8r
OP typo correction. Question still valid

The icons above aren't colored. I may or may not fix it. It's related to me trying to reduce the size of the first post, which is currently sitting at >283KB.

Edited by tasairis
  • tasairis changed the title to SE Compatibility Tracking (Dec 5 #6744) - SE 1.6.323, SKSE 2.1.3, almost halfway there

FISSES just dropped as a Beta for AE (1.3.8-Beta2)

EDIT: Hold on for a bit. fiss.dll is giving an error, but mod author is working on resolving it

UPDATE: 1.3.8-Beta3 was just uploaded and it works correctly. (yay)

Edited by Vachnic
Additional info
1 minute ago, Electric Aether said:

How is the modding situation going? I haven't updated to AE Yet.

Check the first post?

But for me personally, I did (get forced by Steam to) upgrade to AE and I managed to get a playable modlist by leaving the unupdated mods out. For me, most mods that haven't been updated (and probably won't be) are Quality of Life mods, like Stay at System page.

But... if you aren't feeling adventurous: don't update just yet! Rumor is that a new upfuck, pardon, update is coming soon.