akayds

Should I switch from oldrim to SE

So reading through all 7 pages of this thread, scouring Reddit and articles found online, this is what I'm understanding.

1) Oldrim modding has been around for 5+ years.  It has been tweaked to no end, and the limits have been pushed as far as possible, everything documented.  SSE is (relatively) new, and there's far less documentation on how to do various things for people like myself that barely know how computers work.  However, it is far more stable, and in theory, allows for higher resolution textures, but not more scripts.

2) SSE cannot ever have certain features that Oldrim has.  Specifically, in regards to ENB.  It can never have parallax, AA, or water shaders due to how the game engine with SSE works.  Therefore, regardless of how great the textures in SSE, it will always look worse than Oldrim with a proper ENB.

3) Oldrim supports only 4GB of RAM, (tweaks make unlimited video RAM though)  However, as long as people are not installing 4k or 8k textures (which are really only good for screenshots), there is no point getting higher than 2k textures, because you cannot really see the difference.

4) Many mods are not available for SSE.  Some have been ported, but many essential mods will likely never be ported due to authors moving on from Skyrim, or their mods are too complex to port over.  Many of the mods that were moved over were ported before SKSE64 and SkyUI, so customization in game is limited. To add to this problem, SSE EULA prevents people from porting over mods they do not own without the original author's permission, meaning that any mod not currently supported, one would have to port over themselves (apparently that is very easy to do though)

5) HDT is not supported with SSE.  SE has CBP for breast/butt physics, but for clothing, hair, etc, its not available (ever?)

6) For adult mods, there is just no comparison.  Oldrim has over ten times the number of mods that SSE has. https://www.loverslab.com/files/ These are slowly being updated, but as stated in point 4, many many never come over.

7) SSE has something called a "Creation Club," that updates SSE, are automatic, and often will destroy scripts, specifically related to SKSE.  They can possibly be disabled, so not an issue?

8 ) New players realistically only have access to SSE, unless they put in a bit of effort to find an older copy of Oldrim if they want the DLC.

So I have both versions of Skyrim.  I was gifted a copy of Skyrim LE, and Steam "upgraded" me to SSE for free.  I played it for 45 minutes on an old laptop that was not ready for Skyrim years ago.  I recently got a much better desktop PC that will run Skyrim without issue, and came here to mod it.  I've waited about 3 years to play it, so a few more days/weeks isn't an issue.  In my situation, if I want the best possible looking Skyrim experience, with no compromises, it sounds like Oldrim is the way to go.  Is that correct?

5 hours ago, LizabethE said:

So I have both versions of Skyrim.  I was gifted a copy of Skyrim LE, and Steam "upgraded" me to SSE for free.  I played it for 45 minutes on an old laptop that was not ready for Skyrim years ago.  I recently got a much better desktop PC that will run Skyrim without issue, and came here to mod it.  I've waited about 3 years to play it, so a few more days/weeks isn't an issue.  In my situation, if I want the best possible looking Skyrim experience, with no compromises, it sounds like Oldrim is the way to go.  Is that correct?

You make very good points about ENB limitations but DX11 provides some serious improvements in lighting and frame rates. Which is more important to you is up to you - these are simply value judgements.

You've actually picked a great time to pick up SSE - some of the LE heavy hitters have moved on to SE in the last year or so and are providing us with very useful tools. Ever since SKSE for SE dropped there's been a concerted effort to move important mods that depended upon SKSE to SE. Availability this November is light years ahead of just one year ago.

In the vast majority of cases it's trivial to convert a mod to SE from LE. Unless it depends upon SKSE you should assume you can use an LE mod in SE. There are some cases where that's not true, like apparently Display Model, but so far they are by far the exception rather than the rule. My first iteration of adult mods in SE was probably ¾ mods I converted myself. 

Spoiler

is a great guide to what's working and not working. Also remember that a lot of the LE mods are obsolete or armor/clothing, so the differential isn't as great as it seems. 

SKSE being broken by Bethesda's game updates is a problem, but it's trivial to put game updates on hold and only manually update the game after the SKSE dependent mod updates are available. The SKSE mods in my load out were all updated within two weeks of the last game update. There are people here (HDT aficionados) who are still running on .39 and skse 2.0.6 and are quite happy. 

HDT is available for earlier versions of the game, but you're right that it's not being developed at the moment. The author of CBPC has provided collision and is investigating clothing. We'll see.

I'll share just what the deciding factor was for me. A modded SE is far, far more stable than a modded LE, hands down. There was one quirk of LE that I fought for years that is simply not an issue in SE. In SE it doesn't rain under roofs. In LE it does, and Real Shelter was an unstable mess. That's the value judgement I made ;)

I think at this point the things SSE is missing

1. Good looking ENB as Oldrim (that includes too how the character looks, the same character can look ton better on Oldrim depending of the ENB, on SSE ENB aren't kinda good for that)

2. Racemenu vertex editor

3. Enhanced Camera for 1st person

4. Physics for clothes/hair/etc (it seems CBPC author gonna try to add that)

Now what Oldrim is missing

1. Obviously stability, since it was made in 32bit-DX9 it has ton of limitations

2. Some only SSE-mods than aren't on Oldrim (since port from Oldrim->SSE is kinda easy, the reverse is pretty hard); some old mods aren't updated on Oldrim and only on SSE, etc

3. .ESL mods like on SSE, which do not take account in the load order and won't break the 255 limit

4. And I repeat since is really important, stability, I mean I can compare crashes with almost same mods (205 on Oldrim, 213 on SSE), and I get ton more crashes on Oldrim, like a ton more than SSE, on SSE mostly I get crashes when I detect an Old mesh from Oldrim, or the VRAM goes more than 4GB (I have a RX560, so when it goes 1 byte more than that rip)

After 6 years modding imo Oldrim looks ton better, but it's ton harder to setup, SSE viceversa

hey guys.

i know this question has been asked before but (i did a search) but i havent found a thread about this question since SE got the script extender

so my question is, in the realms of adult mods, which is now best supported, content and quality wise in peoples opinion? 

Skyrim special edition

or the original skyrim?

ive been out of the loop for a year or two and im looking to go back to skyrim but i cant decide which to install....and as ever...adult mods will swing it lol

thanks guys

cynic

I keep seeing people post the words "Oldrim looks 'TONS' better", and yet I've literally not seen any visual examples of this.

Certainly any streaming I've seen looks similar or better on the SE over LE. And anyone streaming is using an ENB on Oldrim.

Maybe there are a couple of people who mastered ENBs and photoshoots to the point where LE looks better... though I'm skeptical. I rarely saw particularly spectacular screens of LE. Maybe from a half dozen people total. And they were *mildly* better than what 95% of people seem to have in SE.

So in my arrogant uneducated opinion, SE does in fact "look better" than LE in my and just about everyone's case.  I'm not really sure where this idea of LE looking much better than SE comes from.

See attachments for evidence of how limited SE is ;)

SE0.jpg

SE1.jpg

The normal skyrim is going to have the most since it's the one that has been around since day 1 the other version has stuff and more is being ported over but it'll take time before most of what the normal version has will be moved over to that other version.

For me I have always stuck with the normal version as it has everything that I want. Like UUNP and all sexlab stuff.

Personally I would go with SSE.  While oldrim does have more mods than SSE, most of SexLab's mods have been ported over (and myuhinny, uunp has been ported over as well - I don't use it myself so not sure how supported it is), along with the major mods from Nexus.  Plus a lot of the missing mods can easily be converted on your own.  There are some mods I am still waiting for (Krytopyr mods like CCOR), but I can go without for now.  On the whole I have had a better experience with SSE.  For example I am  currently running with near 280 mods (that is a mix of esm/esl/esp  and espfe - if you are unsure what an espfe is, it's basically an esp with marked with an esl header meaning they don't apply directly to your mod count - you can look up more info on it).  And I ran a 7 hour stretch of gameplay yesterday with no CTDs at all.  Never could do that with oldrim regardless of the enboost, anti-crash, etc I installed with it.

My basic suggestion is always this:  make a list of the mods you absolutely cannot live without, then see if these are supported in SSE.  If they are, use SSE.  If most are available in SSE, reevaluate the ones that aren't (see if there are acceptable alternatives) and if you still cannot live without those or their alternates, then stick with oldrim.

1 hour ago, SmedleyDButler said:

As always: Just remember that with SSE, Beth still updates the game from time to time, which can and has broken mods and entire setups.

You may have hit the nail with that one. Actually I don't personally know since I'm still playing Skyrim LE. SE is essentially the same thing but Bethesda thinks it is special for some reason. I might move on to SE once Bethesda Softworks stops with this Creation Club nonsense. Not to be confused with the actual Bethesda Game Studios that do any actual work. Essentially if you crack down to it Skyrim Special Edition is the same buggy mess as it was in the Legendary Edition version only with a fresh coat of paint. I would say I am biased towards Legendary Edition at the moment.

6 hours ago, srayesmanll said:

For example I am  currently running with near 280 mods (that is a mix of esm/esl/esp  and espfe - if you are unsure what an espfe is, it's basically an esp with marked with an esl header meaning they don't apply directly to your mod count - you can look up more info on it).

280 mods?! Seriously?! That's all?! I'm running over 400 mods no problem and I consider my load light. I mean that number means bugger nuthin when it comes to performance.

I haven't played Skyrim or kept up with the mod scene for a few years and am wondering if someone can clarify if mods are primarily being developed on the newer Special Edition or should I stick with the original version?

I looked on Nexus and it seems like there are mods being released for both versions, which one is more healthy for general mods and Lovers Lab mods?

Thanks.

Hi guys longtime lurker here

basically what the title says i'm also asking because i read that beth keeps updating the game and with that it breaks skse64 so that a lot of mods stop working.

sry if this question is already answered  i just thought this would be the fastest way to get an answer to the that question especially in relation to the current state of sse

I have both and I only play Oldrim. There are nearly 4X more mods (on Nexus anyway) and they've had more time to mature (aka... bug fixes). When I tried to get my SE version working with a few mods I found it was just as buggy and the frame rate was just as bad or worse than my Oldrim setup so there was no point. Others probably have different experiences of course but that's my two cents. 

On 11/26/2018 at 1:46 PM, Darkpig said:

You may have hit the nail with that one. Actually I don't personally know since I'm still playing Skyrim LE. SE is essentially the same thing but Bethesda thinks it is special for some reason. I might move on to SE once Bethesda Softworks stops with this Creation Club nonsense. Not to be confused with the actual Bethesda Game Studios that do any actual work. Essentially if you crack down to it Skyrim Special Edition is the same buggy mess as it was in the Legendary Edition version only with a fresh coat of paint. I would say I am biased towards Legendary Edition at the moment.

280 mods?! Seriously?! That's all?! I'm running over 400 mods no problem and I consider my load light. I mean that number means bugger nuthin when it comes to performance.

bah. with Lexy's build, espls, and my own merges I'm over 500, pushing 600 :)

7 hours ago, bazahadro said:

I have both and I only play Oldrim. There are nearly 4X more mods (on Nexus anyway) and they've had more time to mature (aka... bug fixes). When I tried to get my SE version working with a few mods I found it was just as buggy and the frame rate was just as bad or worse than my Oldrim setup so there was no point. Others probably have different experiences of course but that's my two cents. 

Thank you for the input. I will try out both and figure out which one I like more.