Games: Why can't WE be the bump in the night?

HighTide

6 hours ago, Daedric_Cat said:

Thiiis. Kotor 1 was the best, though. I loved playing dark side Revan, being a total asshole to everyone, didn't have to worry about influence. And HK-47. That was so satisfying.

Jade Empire was pretty good for playing "Way of the closed fist" as well- back when Bioware could still make some great games. Need to add a "corruptible" follower to Skyrim to make stealing and murder fun again. Is evil hot or cold?:classic_smile:

12 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Jade Empire was pretty good for playing "Way of the closed fist" as well- back when Bioware could still make some great games. Need to add a "corruptible" follower to Skyrim to make stealing and murder fun again. Is evil hot or cold?:classic_smile:

"Way of the Closed Fist" that was wow, complex. First part of the game, Smiling Mountain is telling you Way of the Closed Fist is just another way of looking at things, but at the end, you were doing horribly evil things if you followed that path. Jade Empire was a really good game.

Renegade wasn't too bad in Mass Effect, at least the first one. I never played the later ones, and from what I've seen, I don't regret that.

A corruptible player would be fun. Lure them into the Dark Brotherhood, or Namira's Cult.

I think the line between good and evil can be very blurry. And the perception of the two as well. Yeah maybe one wants to play a game where you do truly evil things, but what is evil then?

I have been playing a lot of Ghost Recon Wildlands lately.

My favorite thing to do is to find a spot, and snipe people from a great distance (yeah, I am a sniper faggot). Clearing out a whole camps without raising the alarm and being detected.

Now, I have been told that I am apparently the good guy here, and the ones I kill is evil.

But suddenly is struck me, that many people that I kill, might not be there of their own free will. Maybe they are forced. Maybe they have no other choice to support their families by being there.

And bang! Just like that - I kill one of them and possible the wife and child will never see or hear their daddy again.

(Also, I know it's a game and not real lol)

Now, my comment does not really contributing to the larger picture here. I know that. But what I'm try to say is, well I don't know what I try to say.

I just had some weed, and it got me thinking about the perception of good vs evil in games. But movies as well.

I recently saw the new Avengers movie and holy fuck. Thanos were an amazing villain. I can absolutely understand his reasons of what and why he is doing what he is doing. Although they are twisted as fuck.

Well, the thing is you can't really make a Singleplayer reversed-horror game without it being stale in 10 or so minutes. You are the monster hunting arround NPCs and they can't really do much to stop you. Cool. Add some gore and it'll keep you entertained for another 20 minutes but yeah, it'll get very repetetive eventually. You may be able to get away with it if you have a really good story there to carry you through, but good stories in vidya are pretty rare aside of the occasional SOMA and some others.

5 hours ago, Pigeon the Feathered said:

Well, the thing is you can't really make a Singleplayer reversed-horror game without it being stale in 10 or so minutes. You are the monster hunting arround NPCs and they can't really do much to stop you. Cool. Add some gore and it'll keep you entertained for another 20 minutes but yeah, it'll get very repetetive eventually. You may be able to get away with it if you have a really good story there to carry you through, but good stories in vidya are pretty rare aside of the occasional SOMA and some others.

They tried that with EVOLVE. It didn't take.

• 3 months later...

Well I agree wholeheartedly.

I know there are games like where you are an overlord controlling your minions but most of the time, people seem to only want to make them "quirky" and "not that evil, just lovable" types and I hate that.

Although I guess, in a horror game, BEING the scary thing, the only way I could see that working is thinking that YOU are doing something good. I see that in games too though, and that's when the scares turn into a joke and have zero effect on you.

I dunno, it's a tricky subject. Maybe play as something and pull off mysterious things with malevolent consequences without "seeing your scare" itself to prevent you from getting used to it until the very end. It's such an interesting topic but so hard to pull off.

Being able to fight back is what makes it an Action game with Horror elements or a Horror game with Action elements. Being the Horror when no one can fight back, I imagine COULD get stale quickly. Perhaps pulling off actions meant to save or help yourself then playing through another perspective and seeing what you really did and how you scared people, MAYBE that could work.

On a different note: fucking love the AvP franchise. Especially the 2nd game with the Alien life cycle and the Predator hunts.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived