Which Mod Manager Do You Use?

a8411

I have experience with Mod Organizer and really like using; however, from my understanding, the new version of Mod Organizer had been abandoned.  Since updates don't seem to be a possibility, I have considered trying another mod manager. 

So what does everyone else use?

For each game i use a different mod manager. I use Oblivion Mod Manager(OBMM) for Oblivion, Fallout Mod Manager(FOMM) for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, Mod Organizer(MO) for Skyrim, and Nexus Mod Manager(NMM) for Fallout 4. I've chosen these based on how well they perform for me and the choices they give me.

Mod Organizer for Skyrim, FOMM for FO3 and FONV, I no longer play Oblivion, and I deleted FO4 from my Steam account. I only ever use NMM when there's absolutely nothing else; it's okay for installing/uninstalling mods and that's really all. No adding or removing files from mods through it, no telling me when something is overwriting something else, and no modifying the mod load order (actual mod, not master/plugin) without uninstalling and reinstalling whole mods. It's been a long time since I used it so I don't know if all that's still true.

1 hour ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Mod Organizer for Skyrim, FOMM for FO3 and FONV, I no longer play Oblivion, and I deleted FO4 from my Steam account. I only ever use NMM when there's absolutely nothing else; it's okay for installing/uninstalling mods and that's really all. No adding or removing files from mods through it, no telling me when something is overwriting something else, and no modifying the mod load order (actual mod, not master/plugin) without uninstalling and reinstalling whole mods. It's been a long time since I used it so I don't know if all that's still true.

Yeah everything you just said was false. You might wanna take a look at it again whenever you decide. 

The guy behind MO is working with the Nexus team from now on so NMM will become even better

6 hours ago, a8411 said:

I have experience with Mod Organizer and really like using; however, from my understanding, the new version of Mod Organizer had been abandoned.  Since updates don't seem to be a possibility, I have considered trying another mod manager. 

So what does everyone else use?

Mod Organizer 2 is not abandoned. Just look up Mod Organizer on FO4 nexus or SSE nexus.

Also:

OBMM for Oblivion, seeings how that works the best with the least amount of finagling. but you can totally get Oblivion to work with Mod Organizer 1, you just need to install the OBSE plugins directly into oblivion and have Mod Organizer 1 start its process via DLL rather than the typical method. Sure it invalidates part of the purpose of Mod Organizer, but it definitely is way better than directly installing all of your shit and losing track of it.

For Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim, use Mod Organizer 1. Plain and simple, that shit works and it works wonders.

For Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition, use Mod Organizer 2.

Skyrim is pretty much the only modded game I still play, and I've used Mod Organizer for that for years. Personally, I love MO. Works brilliantly and offers the best control of any manager I've tried. Also use MO when I dip back into Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I only had Skyrim SE installed for a few days - enough to know that, at the time, there were too many mods I can't imagine playing without that weren't available for it - and for that I used NMM because MO2 was having some problems. I also used NMM when I was playing Fallout 4, but I ended up uninstalling that. Had fun with it for a while, but all the creation club updates were just getting on my nerves. I'll probably install it again at some point, and will likely give Skyrim SE another go with more mods being converted all the time. When that happens perhaps the Tannin-developed successor to NMM will be available, and I'd certainly give it a try to see, but if not MO2 sounds like it's working well enough these days. That's what I would use if I started playing the 64bit games now. It's still being worked on, as others have said.

On 1/29/2018 at 7:03 PM, victor133x said:

For each game i use a different mod manager. I use Oblivion Mod Manager(OBMM) for Oblivion, Fallout Mod Manager(FOMM) for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, Mod Organizer(MO) for Skyrim, and Nexus Mod Manager(NMM) for Fallout 4. I've chosen these based on how well they perform for me and the choices they give me.

Agree with this. NMM makes too many mistakes on installs for Skyrim, MO is better according to many- but it still has some problems. I've actually gotten to where I install everything for my games manually. It's a pain when something goes wrong because I have to track down and delete everything, but, it's also the only way I can be sure everything is installed correctly. Many of the problems I read about here and on other sites with mods are due to incomplete or faulty installation/uninstallation of mod files. Plus that way I know my games and mods file structure that much better because I like to know what's under the hood of my game for learning purposes and I'm constantly making changes to my games. X-edit, the CK, BodySlide and OutfitStudio and Wryebash are the main things I use. I only use a mod manager to make quick adjustments to load orders.:classic_smile:

6 hours ago, SleepyJim said:

Skyrim is pretty much the only modded game I still play, and I've used Mod Organizer for that for years. Personally, I love MO. Works brilliantly and offers the best control of any manager I've tried. Also use MO when I dip back into Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

+1

I never had any problem with MO. Not a single one. And I never noticed it was abandoned? The author is now working for the Nexus team to replace NMM with something new. But that's been going on for over a year now, and for sure it takes time. So, no point for me to hurry somewhere that's not even there, yet. I  can wait it out easily.

15 hours ago, AgentCarolina said:

Yeah everything you just said was false. You might wanna take a look at it again whenever you decide. 

The guy behind MO is working with the Nexus team from now on so NMM will become even better

Figured it had been improved. But I've learned to like MO over NMM; it just has more features that I make extensive use of. I'll stick with it and MO2 if/when my must-have mods for Oldrim are converted for SE.

I just feel a lot better with MO. When I first started modding skyrim I used NMM and ran into issues all the time. I'm not saying it's NMM's fault, but as an irresponsible modder and overall clueless person, I have a lot less issues using MO. When vortex comes out, I'm going to give that a go.

I am using none because they do not run in linux. I am using git instead, as a general purpose version control system tool it does the job pretty well and offers things that those probably do not. For the few mods that are not simple copy and paste, I parse the fomod config files by hand, it may be tedious sometimes but it is not hard at all.

1 hour ago, v48342 said:

For the few mods that are not simple copy and paste, I parse the fomod config files by hand, it may be tedious sometimes but it is not hard at all.

Sometimes you have to bother to "dip your hands in the grease" to get a good result. This requires knowing how to arm yourself with patience and will, virtues that we do not see often enough.

MO is I believe the most elegant, sophisticated, and simply genius solution for mod management - and gives me above all the ability to revert back to a pristine installation of Skyrim and start the game again without any issues. I have installed the game only twice since 2012, due to an OS migration, and I prefer to be able to work on a system that is as efficient and stable as possible before installing mods to a game.

Why does it matter if it won't be updated? It works and has all the features it needs and will ever need. I'm using MO for Skyrim and I'm gonna use MO2 for FO4, since that's possible now. MO might be a more complicated tool, but it has made my modding life so much easier once I got used to it. When you run a lot of mods NMM just doesn't cut it. Its way of overwriting stuff makes it hard to get exactly what you want from every mod. But the benefit of MO depends on how many conflicts you have and how much control you want over your installed mods. The more mods you have, the more the benefit will be.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:22 PM, v48342 said:

I am using none because they do not run in linux. I am using git instead, as a general purpose version control system tool it does the job pretty well and offers things that those probably do not. For the few mods that are not simple copy and paste, I parse the fomod config files by hand, it may be tedious sometimes but it is not hard at all.

Why not just spend the $100 for a windows license and use the time you save to do something useful?

Archived