Fixed: A point in the right direction, please!

Heppai

Ok, I found the culprit! Skyrim Realism Overhaul is causing my crashes per two of my testing phases. Its odd because it was part of the STEP instructions. Something about SRO is causing exterior cells to not load. Has anyone had any problems with this? Anyone use SRO?

EDIT: Fixed my issue through elimination, was RSO, so i reverted back to Skyrim 2k. I'd still like to know the culprit but I guess I'll never know. Thanks for the help, everyone.

8 hours ago, Heppai said:

Ok, I found the culprit! Skyrim Realism Overhaul is causing my crashes per two of my testing phases. Its odd because it was part of the STEP instructions. Something about SRO is causing exterior cells to not load. Has anyone had any problems with this? Anyone use SRO?

SKyrim Realistic Overhaul (SRO) by Starac or Skyrim Project Optimisation (SPO) by rgabriel15 as found in your load order?

On 13/02/2018 at 5:51 PM, Heppai said:

Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm

I think you've probably mispelled that last one and made a mistake with your install procedure by not following the STEP detailed instructions available to the letter. What version of STEP have you installed?

My little nose tells me that you have installed ELFX by the wrong way using the wrong version, instead of only going through ENBoost and Enhanced Lighting for ENB (ELE) - LITE and following the STEP recommendations described below:
ENBoost by Boris Vorontsov
Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE by JawZ

You should really go through STEP project page for doing all the right things recommended there, if you have not already done so. The last one is STEP v2.10.0.

50 minutes ago, Heppai said:

Oops, yeah ive been at this all day. Skyrim Realistic Overhaul is the mod that was causing the crashes. I do have Optimization in my load order as well.

Thanks for the help and patience, Fifoo!

This explains everything because this mod is intended to be used with Vanilla High Resolution Textures, and you need to have at least 3 Gbytes VRAM for running them.

You've done it by the hard way!

And it was nothing but having nice time by trying to help you. Good game now!

12 hours ago, Heppai said:

EDIT: Fixed my issue through elimination, was RSO, so i reverted back to Skyrim 2k. I'd still like to know the culprit but I guess I'll never know. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Glad you finally solved this.  That process of elimination does wonders.  Why anybody would refuse to do this or even think it's somehow dangerous is beyond me.

Through frustration and being overwhelmed really takes a toll on you. Tonight I'm playing skyrim for the first time in months. Theres tweaking here and there but there really isnt a better way to determine a crash. No crash dump, not papyrus, just elim. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Heppai said:

Through frustration and being overwhelmed really takes a toll on you. Tonight I'm playing skyrim for the first time in months. Theres tweaking here and there but there really isnt a better way to determine a crash. No crash dump, not papyrus, just elim. Thank you.

You're very welcome.  

On 1/28/2018 at 11:34 AM, Heppai said:

Good morning all,

Yeah, im still struggling on this issue and i thought I'd share my papyrus log. Ive done more research since my last thread, I've moved my load order around and I'm still just more confused and angry. I've read through hours of install info and conflicts for each mod. None of them really say much about conflicts and I've even sorted out my papyrus to see whats causing the issue I feel I'm getting closer to fixing this and leaving all you fine people alone. Attached is the complete papyrus log, it filled in with only 10 minutes of game time. Is my problem a script issue?

The crash happens right before I enter one of forsworn burrows. If anyone wants to dedicate help to resolving on this and someone on one for simple tutoring, ill gladly provide to your patreon foundation.

Reveal hidden contents

= Check Mods
This is a report on your currently active/merged mods.

=== Mods with non standard TES4 versions
Following mods have a TES4 version that isn't recognized as one of the standard versions (0.8 and 1.0).  It is untested what effect this can have on the game, but presumably Oblivion will refuse to load anything above 1.0
* ScrimshawExpanded.esp:  1.0
* ScrimshawExpandedCampfire.esp:  1.0

=== Active Mod Files:
* 00  Skyrim.esm
* 01  Update.esm
* 02  Dawnguard.esm
* 03  HearthFires.esm
* 04  Dragonborn.esm
* 05  Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp  [Version 3.0.11]
* 06  Falskaar.esm
* 07  Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
* 08  Campfire.esm
* 09  SexLab.esm  [Version 1.62]
* 0A  SexLabAroused.esm  [Version 2.8]
* 0B  Devious Devices - Assets.esm  [Version 2.8.3]
* 0C  Devious Devices - Integration.esm
* 0D  ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
* 0E  ZaZAnimationPack.esm
* 0F  Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
* 10  BeeingFemale.esm  [Version 2.8]
* 11  dcc-soulgem-oven-000.esm
* 12  WM Flora Fixes.esp
* 13  ApachiiHair.esm
* 14  Devious Devices - Expansion.esm
* 15  hdtHighHeel.esm
* 16  Cutting Room Floor.esp  [Version 2.0.7]
* 17  Rebirth Monster.esp
* 18  RaceMenu.esp
* 19  RaceMenuPlugin.esp
* 1A  SkyUI.esp
* 1B  Tamriel Reloaded Trees.esp
* 1C  AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
* 1D  Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
* 1E  CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
* 1F  EnhancedWetnessandPuddles.esp
* 20  Differently Ebony.esp
* 21  Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
* 22  dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
* ++  dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
* ++  dD-Reduced Splatter Size.esp
* 23  NARC.esp
* 24  TheEyesOfBeauty.esp  [Version 9]
* 25  Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
* 26  3DNPC.esp  [Version 3.4.2]
* 27  Purity.esp
* 28  RealisticWaterTwo.esp
* 29  Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp  [Version v6.5.2b]
* 2A  Book of UUNP Iron And Steel.esp
* 2B  AMB Glass Variants Lore.esp
* 2C  DeadlyDragons.esp
* ++  ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
* 2D  ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
* 2E  Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp  [Version v6.5.2a]
* 2F  skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds.esp
* 30  Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
* 31  SMIM-Merged-All.esp
* 32  RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
* 33  Run For Your Lives.esp  [Version 3.0]
* 34  fallentreebridges.esp
* 35  Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
* 36  SimpleSlavery.esp
* 37  Immersive Patrols II.esp
* 38  RealisticWaterTwo - Waves.esp
* 39  qayl.esp
* 3A  mihailogres.esp
* 3B  Hunterborn.esp
* 3C  Devious Cidhna.esp
* 3D  Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
* 3E  Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin.esp
* 3F  Morning Fogs.esp
* 40  SFO - Dragonborn.esp
* 41  RealisticWaterTwo - Dragonborn.esp
* 42  Deviously Enslaved.esp
* 43  TradeRoutes.esp  [Version 2.0]
* 44  Prison.esp
* 45  MF_RadiantProstitution.esp
* 46  mihailaurochs.esp
* 47  The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp  [Version 1.2.9]
* 48  RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Dawnguard.esp
* 49  RealisticWaterTwo - Dawnguard.esp
* 4A  Brevi_MoonlightTales.esp
* 4B  Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
* 4C  Convenient Horse Herding.esp
* 4D  ACE BYOG.esp
* 4E  1nivWICCloaks.esp  [Version 2.4]
* 4F  CinematicFireFX.esp
* ++  ClimatesOfTamriel-Dungeons-Hazardous.esp
* ++  ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Cold.esp
* ++  ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-1.esp
* 50  Fantasy Soundtrack Project - Combat.esp
* 51  Fantasy Soundtrack Project.esp
* 52  SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp
* 53  SOS - VectorPlexus Muscular Addon.esp
* 54  SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp
* 55  Remodeled Armor - Dawnguard.esp
* 56  Remodeled Armor - Dragonborn.esp
* 57  Remodeled Armor - Underwear.esp
* 58  Remodeled Armor.esp
* 59  Predator Vision.esp
* 5A  KaiSFemaleHHDT.esp
* 5B  BeeingFemaleBasicAddOn.esp
* 5C  UIExtensions.esp
* 5D  SexLabDefeat.esp
* 5E  RaceMenuMorphsUUNP.esp
* 5F  PC Head Tracking - MCM.esp
* 60  PC Head Tracking - Patch.esp
* 61  VioLens.esp  [Version 2.11]
* 62  SLAnimLoader.esp
* 63  SLALAnimObj.esp
* 64  Book of UUNP - Textures.esp
* 65  SOSRaceMenu.esp
* 66  SLAL_AnimationsByLeito.esp
* ++  SexLab Sound FX Replacer.esp
* 67  SexLab Romance.esp
* 68  ScrimshawExpanded.esp
* 69  Immersive Weapons.esp
* 6A  ScrimshawExpanded_IWPatch.esp
* 6B  SexLab Dangerously Nude.esp
* 6C  SexLabDangerousNights2.esp
* 6D  Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
* 6E  Skyrim Realistic Archery.esp
* ++  SlowerBowDraw.esp
* ++  ISCompendium Enhanced Blood Patch.esp
* 6F  ScrimshawExpanded_IAPatch.esp
* 70  ScrimshawExpandedCampfire.esp
* ++  ScrimshawExpandedLeveledLists.esp
* 71  SLA Monitor Widget.esp
* 72  Customizable Camera.esp
* 73  HERealUndressUndies.esp
* 74  The Eyes Of Beauty - Elves Edition.esp
* 75  Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
* 76  Males of Skyrim.esp
* 77  Bijin Warmaidens.esp
* 78  NPC Body Scale Randomizer.esp
* 79  FNISSexyMove.esp
* 7A  Serana.esp
* 7B  Valerica.esp
* ++  GQJ_DG_vampireamuletfix.esp
* 7C  Unique Uniques.esp  [Version 1.8]
* 7D  iHUD.esp
* 7E  FISS.esp
* 7F  SkyTweak.esp
* 80  KS Hairdos - HDT.esp
* ++  DesyncBirdsOfPrey.esp
* 81  Imperious - Races of Skyrim.esp
* 82  Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
* 83  Apocalypse - Ordinator Compatibility Patch.esp
* 84  TavernClothes-MTM.esp
* 85  FNIS.esp
* 86  DeadlyCombat.esp
* 87  Modern Brawl Bug Fix.esp
* 88  dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
* 89  Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
* ++  3 Minute Arrow Stick Duration.esp
* ++  dD-No Spinning Death Animation Merged.esp
* 8A  AK_RM_PubicStyles_All_In_One.esp
* 8B  Beards.esp
* 8C  Dr_Bandolier.esp
* ++  GreenWaterFix_v2withDawnguard.esp
* 8D  Convenient Horses.esp
* 8E  The Huntsman.esp  [Version 1.2]
* 8F  FreckleMania2.esp
* 90  Player Size Adjuster.esp
* 91  TrueStorms.esp
* ++  Supreme Storms.esp
* 92  RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Falskaar.esp
* 93  RealisticWaterTwo - Falskaar.esp
* 94  RDO - AFT v1.66 Patch.esp
* 95  RDO - USLEEP Patch.esp
* 96  Vivid Landscapes.esp
* ++  TrueStorms-ClimatesOfTamriel.esp
* ++  TrueStorms-SupremeStorms-CoT.esp
* 97  SL_Kidnapped_Redux.esp
* 98  Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp  [Version 3.1.7]
* ++  ScrimshawExpandd_ASLALPatch.esp
* 99  ccas_starts.esp
* 9A  XPMSE.esp
* 9B  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Papyrus.0.log

Sorry to keep necroing this but in case anyone had a similar problem. After fixing my mods, I just recently crashed again at the same place as described here in the Forsworn burrows. I couldnt think of any other mod that would crash inside the burrows besides lighting as I've disabled a lot of mods that would effect this area. Turns out, I was using Relighting Skyrim AND ELFX. I also had my High Res dummy esps as well as the dummy USLEEP esps activated. Im not sure if that is a cause, but it stopped the crashes. Disabling plugins is the best way to troubleshoot vs uninstalling as it allows you to still enter the game and test the issue.

2 hours ago, Heppai said:

I couldnt think of any other mod that would crash inside the burrows besides lighting as I've disabled a lot of mods that would effect this area. Turns out, I was using Relighting Skyrim AND ELFX.

This combination can work very well but it requires the use of a selection of specific files, as well as to perform certain manipulations, as submitted in my previous post #18 of this thread.

As far as you're concerned I can not recommend enough to be careful because this combination comes from another STEP installation package. But if you want to use ELFX with Relightning Skyrim, why not give it a try?

Well I did and I got weird lighting issues, ill take another look at your guide though. Currently, game is still working, but it crashes at weird spots. I'm thinking its because I had plugins disable while I was patching the bashed patch. Like I crashed in the middle of a field. So now i made a janitor character and I'm just testing it out. 

On 16/02/2018 at 6:45 PM, Heppai said:

I also had my High Res dummy esps as well as the dummy USLEEP esps activated.

I guess you wanted to mention the Unofficial High Resolution Patch (UHRP) instead, as USLEEP has it's own esp to work (a false esm), and is not considered as a dummy one. I don't really understand you on this point: have you activated or deactivated their dummies.esp for now?

Note that you can refer to this excellent guide to understand the possibilities and constraints regarding the different BSA manipulation methods encountered there, and particularly from the standard load order/asset prioritization system from the Archives Tab in MO.

Ramifications of BSA Extraction in Mod Organizer.

No I mean Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (USLEP), this is good to know! Because I am still trying to understand where I'm really at and how much the system can take. Currently, I just randomly crashed so its frustrating. Nothing is crashing at the same location, but its all happening outside. Walked into a crowd of 10 stormcloaks and imperials fighting and crashed immediately. How do I better understand conflicts? I think that must be what I'm experiencing. 

EDIT: Using this to learn more about resource management. http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/523890681419356033/

On 17/02/2018 at 12:01 AM, Heppai said:

No I mean Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (USLEP), this is good to know! Because I am still trying to understand where I'm really at and how much the system can take.

USLEEP is instead an .esp file required by many other mods. Without its presence in the loading order, these mods can not function properly, and turning it off will lead to unavoidable crashes.

On 17/02/2018 at 12:01 AM, Heppai said:

Currently, I just randomly crashed so its frustrating. Nothing is crashing at the same location, but its all happening outside. Walked into a crowd of 10 stormcloaks and imperials fighting and crashed immediately. How do I better understand conflicts? I think that must be what I'm experiencing.

This may be due to insufficient memory capacity or poor management of loading memory at a particular point in the game. Which SKSE plugins do you use to manage the memory available for the game? Do you use ENBoost, and which ENB preset if you have loaded one?

Can you give me please your OS version and a description of your currently rig used?

So I use ENBoost plugin, and I use Phinix for my ENB preset.

I have Windows 10 and I have

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Eight core 4.01

8 gigs ram

Nvidia GTX 980

EDIT:Oh and by the way, I mispoke it was Unofficial High Res Texture pack. Not USLEP. USLEP is at the top and is checked.

Before the crash, a lot of meshes that usually load didnt and went purple....

EDIT2: Tried again, still crashes in open area combat. This shouldnt be the case.... At this point I dont know what to disable or eliminate! I use all eight cores when playing, does this help?

On 17/02/2018 at 2:13 AM, Heppai said:

So I use ENBoost plugin, and I use Phinix for my ENB preset.

I have Windows 10 and I have

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Eight core 4.01

8 gigs ram

Nvidia GTX 980

EDIT:Oh and by the way, I mispoke it was Unofficial High Res Texture pack. Not USLEP. USLEP is at the top and is checked.

EDIT2: Tried again, still crashes in open area combat. This shouldnt be the case.... At this point I dont know what to disable or eliminate! I use all eight cores when playing, does this help?

Skyrim only uses 2 cores that is what it is hard coded to do. The original version of the game engine was developed prior to 2006, and it’s a little disappointing that threading isn't more prevalent, since the title is so clearly affected by CPU performance. Skyrim only uses at most 2 cores. Any other core usage is background applications.

Best would be in this case to have an Intel CPU as they are more efficient than AMD, comparing the single thread performance of CPUs:

Single Thread Performance

About Skyrim and multithreading - extensive testing on a 6-Core CPU from late 2015

On 11/02/2018 at 8:38 AM, Heppai said:

2.When I installed the STEP guide, i didnt qualify for STEP core or Extended, the FOMOD automatically selected me for None, so that baffled me.

The system requirements for STEP:Core are for the minimum an Intel Core i3/equivalent (dual core) and the recommended an Intel Core i5/equivalent or higher. You have an AMD one, and this could be the reason why.

Bear in mind that most ini setup currently proposed by modders are using the ultra detail setting here, and processing requirements drop significantly as you start stepping back. So, you can make due with a less potent chip when you dial in detail options appropriately. Regarding your incessant crashes, it would be good to see:

First: how you would eventually optimise your OS and background running softwares by creating and performing a specific OS game profile when you play Skyrim: Windows 10 Settings for Skyrim

Second: to see what can be done with your ENB settings, and also Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini, perhaps reverting back to a High Quality settings instead of Ultra settings. Be aware that wanting to tweak excessively his own Skyrim ini files can lead to multiple crashes and this practice is not always advisable unless you know exactly what you are doing and how good or bad your playgame will be affected by these tweaks.

Spoiler

5a57a3d10a74b_SettingtheENB.thumb.png.707b270442f747e536964cf913edc7aa.png

Third: if crashes persist even after that, it would be best to start your installation by following this time literally the STEP installation process and not through any FOMOD, that is to say, install these mods one after the others and following the recommendations as stipulated in the STEP v2.10.0 guide. Keep in mind that some mods are very demanding, you can easily stick to the baseline and install only the optimized and performance-oriented versions of the mods instead of those in high quality.

addendum:

On 17/02/2018 at 2:13 AM, Heppai said:

Possibly another mod is altering the meshes or textures of those but is either being overwritten or just conflicting with SMIM somehow for example.
Missing textures can occur when you run out of VRAM.

Man are you really telling me the computer I built just for Skyrim isn’t well built for Skyrim??? That’s pretty hard to swallow but makes sense. While I was out of the US, I bought a MSI, it was awesome. I nodded it heavily and didn’t use the STEP guide at all. It rarely crashed if at all. I’ve had this current pc since 2016 and it’s run Skyrim not nearly as well as that laptop. I typically crashed five a day or more. Honestly, I’d be willing to replace it if it meant better results and less headaches.

ill try your suggestions as well, I’ve read in other guides that unpacking you’re cores helps in running the game, however you’re saying Skyrim only uses two cores and the rest are for background. Also infuriating.

On 19/02/2018 at 4:58 PM, Heppai said:

Man are you really telling me the computer I built just for Skyrim isn’t well built for Skyrim??? That’s pretty hard to swallow but makes sense. While I was out of the US, I bought a MSI, it was awesome. I nodded it heavily and didn’t use the STEP guide at all. It rarely crashed if at all. I’ve had this current pc since 2016 and it’s run Skyrim not nearly as well as that laptop. I typically crashed five a day or more. Honestly, I’d be willing to replace it if it meant better results and less headaches.

ill try your suggestions as well, I’ve read in other guides that unpacking you’re cores helps in running the game, however you’re saying Skyrim only uses two cores and the rest are for background. Also infuriating.

In general and at the performance levels, the AMD FX-8350 CPU that you have in your rig manages to beat the Intel Core i5 3570K, even if the Core i7 3770K remains quite ahead. We would then be able to think that this AMD chip is amply sufficient for the recommendations specified by STEP.

Unfortunately, despite the strengths of AMD on x264 video encoding and rendering of a 3D scene, and therefore, in the area of applications optimized for multi-threaded processors (multithreading), the AMD chip is pretty trolling on applications that do not necessarily exploit all the cores of a CPU (monothreading), which is the case for most games we still find on the market.

While recent PC titles are beginning to take advantage of multithreading, they are far from being numerous for the moment. The reasons for that? These games are very expensive in terms of investment and time, and require developers of a very high technical level.

An interesting thread to read: Why people ignore Ryzen's great multithread performance?

We are then entitled to ask the following question: is it possible to force multithreading for Skyrim by simply modifying certain parameters of the game? The answer is: for some, it can work, but with an increased risk of crashes; for others, no, not really, it's just a placebo effect. Know that only your OS and dedicated applications will be able to take full advantage of multithreading.

This article .ini Tweaks - Improving Performance, Gameplay and Visuals offers settings that "should allow to force multithreading" for Skyrim. Note that the parameters bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1 and bUseThreadedTempEffects=1 used there are believed to be unused by the game according to STEP Guide: Skyrim INI. And bShadowMaskZPrePass=1 is a parameter used in the [Display] category of SkyrimPrefs.ini and not in the [Trees] category of Skyrim.ini.

You will find some threads that provide various answers on this topic: Ini tweaks about multi-threading and Do the .ini tweaks for multi-core CPUs actually work?

For reference, here are the recommended settings from STEP: Grass Optimization, Guide:Skyrim Configuration Settings, Guide:ENBlocal INI/Memory, S.T.E.P Optimized Skyrim INI Files for ENB, HardOCP: Tweaking Skyrim Image Quality, and NVidia: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Tweak Guide.

Here is another guide that I quote you for info, but that I have not seen in detail for now: SkyrimPrefs and INIs for Performance and Graphics Boost.

It's up to you to do some tests and see which parameters are best suited to appear in your setup, because in this fairly complex field, you alone will judge what will work best for your game. For the story, here's what was proposed in 2011 to enhance the visuals of the Skyrim game: Five Fast Skyrim Guaranteed Tweaks To Make Your Game Look Better.

Another area not to be overlooked is the memory capacity that your OS can handle: Windows 8.x and 10 VRAM allocation bug, C++ Coders needed to fix Mod Organizer to work with the new Windows 10 Version/Insider Builds, and also a comparison of the best current CPUs: Best CPUs for Gaming: Q1 2018 by Ian Cutress on January 2, 2018, in case you are in the mood of change.

Regarding your last question about unparking your cores, I'll give you these links to browse because the answers are also mixed in this area. But know that everything will depend on your operating system, the system configuration settings used for your game and the game itself.

How to un-park CPU cores in Windows 10? What Does Unparking Cores Mean and What Do They do? Unpark cores on your PC to get better FPS when gaming? Core Parking: how does it affect the PC's performance? Unparking my cores? Unparking your CPU cores to improve performance! (Related to the new Windows 10) - old trick still works. This last link is about Battlefield_4, but the comments made here are interesting.

This is a long post to go, sorry for this profusion of details and links but they deserve to be lingered a little bit. It is certain that following all these steps requires a lot of time, patience, and attention. The world of modding is also made of all these things, sometimes less fun and more complex, but it is in my opinion a great adventure that is really worth it and I had a lot of fun sharing it with you.

Hope this brings you some answers.

Id like to thank you for your dedicated attention and devotion to this thread. It will take me time to sort through this, even though it does leave me wondering where do I go from here. However, still cant thank you enough. This is a lot to digest.

Archived